10k Runner

Options
2»

Replies

• thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Also do core exercises, and squats burpees those typr things. Really help with the run
  • Buettner22
    Buettner22 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    hi! Congrats on the run! and as for the cough dont stress about it. I have a little bit of asthma but normally dont ahve any problems when im running or working out but when i run outside and its cool or cold I always have a coughing spree for a hour or 2. It always goes away and is nothing to worry about I dont even use my inhaler. Colder air is thinner so it goes down my lungs alot quicker but thats it no worries!!! Good luck
  • LetsDoThis103
    Options
    Before I started running, I wish someone had impressed upon me the importance of stretching, especially my calves. So, don't forget to stretch!!
    Happy running!

Yes! First off, stretching my calves was also the biggest thing, I had all sorts of tendonitis-like injuries when I started running (and some hip stuff) and couldn't figure out why, I started stretching really well before runs, especially the calves, and surprise! no more injuries. Regarding the cough: the SAME THING happens to me. Even if the weather is just a bit cooler, like in the 60s. My lungs kind of burn after the run and I'll have a bit of a cough. I think it's the shock of breathing in such cold air so quickly, and the fact that your body temperature is getting really high during the run... probably irritates the lungs. But, I'm not a doctor. Either way, the more I run outside, the less of a problem it becomes. Treadmill is an option for when it's really, really, cold.
  • Didiandeverytang
    Didiandeverytang Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Also do core exercises, and squats burpees those typr things. Really help with the run

Such awesome advice. I'm doing a 10k in a week and started up with my gym program again, which includes various squats, core, burpee's (even though I hate them), balancing exercises, and I notice a HUGE difference with my running. I wish I would have incorporated my gym program right from the get go!
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options

Such awesome advice. I'm doing a 10k in a week and started up with my gym program again, which includes various squats, core, burpee's (even though I hate them), balancing exercises, and I notice a HUGE difference with my running. I wish I would have incorporated my gym program right from the get go!

By chance I figured it out. Was doing HIIT training burpees on my rest days from running and my times posture gate all started improving