To run, or not to run

Options
This may be a weird question-

I walk every day for an hour buring around 325 calories. Lately I have had the urge to try running however, last time I did that I gained weight. As much as it shouldnt, the number on the scale is very important to me and seems to go down the most when i walk. I know that muscles weighs more than fat though.

so I ask you- to run or not to run?

Replies

• ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Running should not make you gain weight, unless you are overestimating the calories burned and/or overestimating the number of calories you need to "fuel." Go for it! Maybe start out with some run/walk intervals and see where that takes you.
  • jsheehan46
    jsheehan46 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hmmm - that is a new one. Running or walking burns calories and the difference in the exercise should not impact the weight. If you burn 100 cals walking it will be very close to 100 cals running. Now some would argue the differences in burn between cardio versus other forms, but you should be pretty identical in those two activities.

Good for you for getting out and doing either!!!
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    That is a weird one. What do you mean by it made you gain weight? How much were you running, how much weight did you gain, after how long? If you mean you went on a couple of runs and then the scale went up a pound or two the next day, you may have just been retaining some water.

Or did it make you extra hungry and you were eating a lot more than usual?

Otherwise, I have no idea. I can't think of any earthly reason that running vs. walking should make you gain weight..
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    How much did you gain when you started running last time, and over what period of time were you running & gaining before you went back to just walking?

When you first add a new workout, the body often shows a gain, but it's just your muscles retaining water to heal from the new activity. I added running last January to my workouts, and it made a big difference in my fat loss.
  • RunXstrong
    Options
    Think of the energy required to move your body over some distance, like a mile. If you run easy the SAME DISTANCE as you walk, you will burn about the same amount of calories as walking the SAME DISTANCE, but you will do it in less time. If you like walking better, then keep walking, but keep in mind you can cover more ground and thereby burn more calories if you walk faster, or run. You must be eating more when you run, or else you are running a shorter distance than you walk.
  • babyhazelz1
    babyhazelz1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I dont know whats going on with me. I have been keeping under my calories every night and I have gone up 3 lbs. Working out every day too. I've been on this site for almost a month but this last week isnt working out right.

So confusing, I know.
  • LetsDoThis103
    Options
    I know what's going on. First of all, for me, nothing burns fat better than running. Nothing! That said, I have often heard it said that when some people start a new fitness regimen, they gain a little bit of weight, which will come off again in time. That could be one thing. The other possibility is that your appetite is going up and you are eating a bit more since you are torching more calories- sometimes when I change up my workout, or boost intensity, I eat a bit more as well.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    First of all, for me, nothing burns fat better than running. Nothing!
    Competitive swimming... but I digress. Totally agree. Running rips though the calories. My morning runs have been at 700 - 800 calorie burn range and that's just 40 minutes of work.

That said, I have often heard it said that when some people start a new fitness regimen, they gain a little bit of weight, which will come off again in time.
    You could be putting on some water weight which does happen somewhat to aid muscle recovery. It's nothing to worry about. This will decrease and fade away as your body becomes accustomed to the exercise. Even if you keep 1 extra pound of water forever that's going to be offset by the overall weight loss effect of eating a negative calorie goal with the exercise. You don't worry about water weight from drinking water do you? Don't sweat the couple pounds of water weight from exercise recovery.

Speaking of water weight, I lose 1-2 pounds sweating during my 40 minute run. I know it's not permanent but it's interesting to see just how much work is involved in staying cool.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If the number on the scale is the most important thing, then you should focus your attention on your diet. Eating right will have the biggest impact on the scale.
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I dont know whats going on with me. I have been keeping under my calories every night and I have gone up 3 lbs. Working out every day too.

I'd say 1 of 3 things...

1 if you are way under cals- you may need to eat more. (or working out a lot and not eating back)
    2 check sodium in food logs (I can fluctuate 3-5 lbs [all water] after a day of high sodium intake)
    3 could be your cycle

Edited to add:

RUN- that's not what caused your gain. Not too many fat runners out there, if you overlook those of us just starting out!
  • babyhazelz1
    babyhazelz1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Im eating 1000-1200 cals/day. Tracking everything like crazy. i guess it comes down to inches vs lbs, right? I am noticing my love handles going away, I just wish the number on the scale would go down too.

Thanks for all the advice