Question about macros

Options
Today I am under on calories, but over on all of my macros except protein. I am out of protein powder and am waiting for the new shipment to come in, so I am struggling to get in all of my protein at the moment. My question is should I just let myself be under on calories today or should I push my carbs and fat macros over even further so that I can make my minimum calorie goal?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Today I am under on calories, but over on all of my macros except protein. I am out of protein powder and am waiting for the new shipment to come in, so I am struggling to get in all of my protein at the moment. My question is should I just let myself be under on calories today or should I push my carbs and fat macros over even further so that I can make my minimum calorie goal?

What is your goal and what is your current caloric intake and TDEE?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed, so it's hard to help.

How far under on cals and protein are you? What are your goals?
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do either. Eat a can of tuna or boil some cod or pollock. Or microwave some egg white. Pure protein. Not powdered.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I'm 300 calories under with fat at 64g which is over by 3g and carbs at 151g which is over by 13g, protein under by 86 g. I got 99g of protein in today but can't get any more in without a supplement. I'm already eating two servings of chicken today.
  • xiamjackie
    Options
    You don't have to do either. Eat a can of tuna or boil some cod or pollock. Or microwave some egg white. Pure protein. Not powdered.

I hate tuna and I already had egg whites today. But thanks for the suggestion. I may just have to resort to egg whites. Problem is that it still won't give me a lot of calories. 50 for 6 TBSP
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I hate tuna and I already had egg whites today. But thanks for the suggestion. I may just have to resort to egg whites. Problem is that it still won't give me a lot of calories. 50 for 6 TBSP

Add in cheese or bacon then. There really is no arbitrary upper limit on macros, esp in the midst of a caloric deficit
  • xiamjackie
    Options
    My caloric intake is 1600, TDEE is around 1900 and I do Insanity every day. I am struggling right now because I had to up my calories from around 1000 a day slowly to reach 1600 and today I'm only at 1400 so far.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese has a nice bit of protein in it :)
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Maybe don't worry about the detail too much; 99g of protein is good if you're not hungry then don't worry about reaching a calorie target, you can allow yourself a little more at the weekend.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Add in cheese or bacon then. There really is no arbitrary upper limit on macros, esp in the midst of a caloric deficit

This. Eat whatever you like that's high in protein. As long as you're still in a deficit (even if it's small for today) you'll be fine.
  • kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    99g of protein is great. I like to hit 120 but im happy with 99!!!!!!!
  • xiamjackie
    Options
    Okay thanks everyone :)
  • fenrirGrey
    fenrirGrey Posts: 110 Member
    Options

One day of eating either way is not going to affect you that much. Relax and grab an ice cream :)
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options

For weight loss all that matters is a calorie deficit. Always check with your doctor on going under on calories, but when I had significant fat on my body my doctor said it was okay for me to go under. You don't have to go under, macros don't really matter for weight loss, but it's important to get enough protein. Not extra, just enough.

As far as totally calories here is what I have learned during my weight loss journey (always under a doctors care);

Some people will say you need to eat more. Some people will say you need to eat less. Only you can decide or check with your doctor. But what would make the most sense? Eating more or eating less, to lose weight? Hmmm..

Taller people have more room in their calorie budget to go up or down. Shorter people like me have less room and get frustrated with "eat more" because that typically does not work for us. If you are confused about it don't just listen to any of us, do some research and get approval from your doctor, then just do what you need to do and tune the rest of us out.

It really depends on your RMR. If you are short like I am then your RMR is really just above the 1200 limit so you really don't have much room for a calorie deficit and going up is less likely to work. If you are taller you will have a higher RMR and can go up or down and still be in a deficit so you can lose no matter what. All that matters is a calorie deficit. If you are short it can be hard to have a deficit at 1200 or above so your only option is to check with your doctor. I did and he agreed and had me go down.

Once I got leaner I had to taper UP my calories. The leaner you get the less of a calorie deficit your body can handle. It needs to be a long slow shallow deficit. For me still under a doctor’s care, this is around 1000-1200 calories because I am so short, petite, and am under 12% body fat where I truly can go into starvation mode if I ate under 1000 calories. I have supporting documentation below. Again, you must seek your doctor’s advice. No one here can tell you how many calories to eat, either up or down.

Seek advice from your doctor. Myself or anyone else on here can’t tell you how much to eat, or to go up or down. If you have a lot of body fat reserves you would be surprised at how little you can eat (unless you have emotional eating issues or disorders). The leaner you get the less your body has to draw from and then you have to taper up your calories. There is no such thing as starvation mode for woman over 12% body fat or men over 6% body fat. I pretty much proved that for myself by staying strong and building muscle and doing what I did. I'm the leanest, most muscular, and most fit that I have ever been in my life at almost 52 years old. My doctor looked at my blood work throughout my journey and it remained fine even with “taking breaks from eating” for periods of time and eating less. Even now at less than 12% body fat everything is A-OKAY. I am healthy, active, and vibrant, muscular not skinny. I have never had eating disorders nor do I now. If you have eating disorders you should not be on a diet unless you are under a doctor’s care and/or get those issues resolved first. I do not advocate unhealthy eating or promote eating disorders.

While there is no one size fits all I listed the things that worked for me here --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

I found the following quotes helpful for sorting through all the myths plastered all over the place
    What is the exact number of calories for you?

We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban (The Body Centric Calorie Guide from the Venus Index and Adonis Index Manuals)

The Theory of Fat Availability:
    •There is a set amount of fat that can be released from a fat cell.
    •The more fat you have, the more fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •The less fat you have, the less fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •Towards the end of a transformation, when body fat is extremely low you
    may not have enough fat to handle a large caloric deficit anymore.

At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit
    you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is
    when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to
    as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in
    men and 12% in women [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994].

-Brad Pilon and John Barban (from The Reverse Taper Diet in The Adonis Index and Venus Index manuals)

Ever since I finally lost the 60lbs and went from Obese to super fit I've realized that tiny people like me simply need less calories than most other people. Even now as healthy and vibrant as I am, with 100's of people stalking my diary, I get questioned almost daily about my calories seeming to low. Why do people ask when they don't even know my height or RMR? Since I'm so small my RMR is only 1380 and that is based on my recent DXA scan which isn't nearly as accurate as going to a lab and blowing into the tube several times to fine out a more accurate number, but it is certainly more accurate than an online chart. I will never be able to eat the 2000 calorie diet everyone thinks is necessary, I'm just too small for it.

Never again will I let anyone tell me what to eat, when to eat, or how much to eat. I learned what works for me. I OWN IT. No one will ever pressure me to eat birthday cake at a party or anywhere else, I DECIDE. No one else decides for me. I eat when I want to eat and I don't eat when I don't want to eat.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Maybe don't worry about the detail too much; 99g of protein is good if you're not hungry then don't worry about reaching a calorie target, you can allow yourself a little more at the weekend.

Yeah I think that is a good amount too, tomorrow is a new day. I'm always under on protein. But I'm also always under sugar and cholesterol too. I just do my best and that's my suggestion to you too.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options

For weight loss all that matters is a calorie deficit. Always check with your doctor on going under on calories, but when I had significant fat on my body my doctor said it was okay for me to go under. You don't have to go under, macros don't really matter for weight loss, but it's important to get enough protein. Not extra, just enough.

As far as totally calories here is what I have learned during my weight loss journey (always under a doctors care);

Some people will say you need to eat more. Some people will say you need to eat less. Only you can decide or check with your doctor. But what would make the most sense? Eating more or eating less, to lose weight? Hmmm..

Taller people have more room in their calorie budget to go up or down. Shorter people like me have less room and get frustrated with "eat more" because that typically does not work for us. If you are confused about it don't just listen to any of us, do some research and get approval from your doctor, then just do what you need to do and tune the rest of us out.

It really depends on your RMR. If you are short like I am then your RMR is really just above the 1200 limit so you really don't have much room for a calorie deficit and going up is less likely to work. If you are taller you will have a higher RMR and can go up or down and still be in a deficit so you can lose no matter what. All that matters is a calorie deficit. If you are short it can be hard to have a deficit at 1200 or above so your only option is to check with your doctor. I did and he agreed and had me go down.

Once I got leaner I had to taper UP my calories. The leaner you get the less of a calorie deficit your body can handle. It needs to be a long slow shallow deficit. For me still under a doctor’s care, this is around 1000-1200 calories because I am so short, petite, and am under 12% body fat where I truly can go into starvation mode if I ate under 1000 calories. I have supporting documentation below. Again, you must seek your doctor’s advice. No one here can tell you how many calories to eat, either up or down.

Seek advice from your doctor. Myself or anyone else on here can’t tell you how much to eat, or to go up or down. If you have a lot of body fat reserves you would be surprised at how little you can eat (unless you have emotional eating issues or disorders). The leaner you get the less your body has to draw from and then you have to taper up your calories. There is no such thing as starvation mode for woman over 12% body fat or men over 6% body fat. I pretty much proved that for myself by staying strong and building muscle and doing what I did. I'm the leanest, most muscular, and most fit that I have ever been in my life at almost 52 years old. My doctor looked at my blood work throughout my journey and it remained fine even with “taking breaks from eating” for periods of time and eating less. Even now at less than 12% body fat everything is A-OKAY. I am healthy, active, and vibrant, muscular not skinny. I have never had eating disorders nor do I now. If you have eating disorders you should not be on a diet unless you are under a doctor’s care and/or get those issues resolved first. I do not advocate unhealthy eating or promote eating disorders.

While there is no one size fits all I listed the things that worked for me here --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

I found the following quotes helpful for sorting through all the myths plastered all over the place

We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban (The Body Centric Calorie Guide from the Venus Index and Adonis Index Manuals)

At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit
    when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to
    as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in

-Brad Pilon and John Barban (from The Reverse Taper Diet in The Adonis Index and Venus Index manuals)

Ever since I finally lost the 60lbs and went from Obese to super fit I've realized that tiny people like me simply need less calories than most other people. Even now as healthy and vibrant as I am, with 100's of people stalking my diary, I get questioned almost daily about my calories seeming to low. Why do people ask when they don't even know my height or RMR? Since I'm so small my RMR is only 1380 and that is based on my recent DXA scan which isn't nearly as accurate as going to a lab and blowing into the tube several times to fine out a more accurate number, but it is certainly more accurate than an online chart. I will never be able to eat the 2000 calorie diet everyone thinks is necessary, I'm just too small for it.

Never again will I let anyone tell me what to eat, when to eat, or how much to eat. I learned what works for me. I OWN IT. No one will ever pressure me to eat birthday cake at a party or anywhere else, I DECIDE. No one else decides for me. I eat when I want to eat and I don't eat when I don't want to eat.

Wow this is a really great post. I'm on the smaller side too (5'4") I'd really like to learn more about what you did/are doing.
  • xiamjackie
    Options

was just a bit off.

Thank you for this, I have read your blog about your journey before and I appreciate your input a lot. I have also at times felt very frustrated by what people tell me to eat and how many calories to eat. I am trying to stay between 1400 and 1600 because I found that when I would be at 1200 with exercise that I wasn't hungry during the day, but then I would get so hungry at night and wolf down everything in my sight. Technically I am supposed to be around 1800 calories right now according to one of the calculators because I do Insanity every day, but I am staying between 1400 and 1600 for now because I want to see how this works out for me. I am not hungry anymore doing this method and I am trying to figure out what works for ME and no one else. I am only 5'0 so I do feel as though I don't need as many calories as some other people, but I'm still on the path to see what works and what doesn't. Thank you for sharing your journey.