Runners..shame or no shame

Options
On Oct 14 there is a huge 1/2 marathon here. I've been training with a group since July. However, I have just not go my running miles up to 13.1. I really need like 2 weeks longer than I have to get my miles up. My group says I should still do the 1/2 and just plan to walk. I just feel like its not the same if I don't run the whole distance. What do you guys think?

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    There is no problem walking some if you need to. Try taking a 1 minute walk at each water stop and you will probably be able to run the rest to the end.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    How far have you run at one time?

If it's over 9 or 10, you'll finish.
  • liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    There's definitely no shame in walking!! Compare how you will feel finishing (even if you want to walk the odd time) with how you would feel totally skipping it?

Promise - you will feel amazing!

Everyone has different goals at each race. This race, your goal can be to finish and have completed your first half! The next one, your goal can be to complete it without stopping.

Truly, registering and completing one is an AMAZING accomplishment! Be proud :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Pttthbbbtttt... I've won a medal with walk breaks during a 5k, finishing in 25:30. No shame in walking at all.

I plan on walking a little during all my runs now. Sometimes I stop and take pictures even. It helps keep running fun for me.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Definately no shame in walking. I allow myself a 2 minute walk during my training runs. Tends to give me a 2nd wind to finish my run!
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Pttthbbbtttt... I've won a medal with walk breaks during a 5k, finishing in 25:30. No shame in walking at all.

I plan on walking a little during all my runs now. Sometimes I stop and take pictures even. It helps keep running fun for me.

You finished a 5K in 25:30 with walk breaks?? That's awesome.

To the OP... yes - run/walk it. Enjoy the excitement of the race. But don't discount yourself... you may very well run the whole thing!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. Just finishing has never been good enough for me.

I will say that come race day, when the adrenalin is going and my competitiveness kicks in, I'm capable of a lot more than I am during a typical training run. If you are close, I say go for it.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    No shame, none at all.

---
    Okey, I did feel ashamed at one point during a race and I needed to walk, but I was just passing a retirement home. There was this very rude old guy that yellow something like 'come on wussy, even I can go faster than you'. Right...
    ---

The biggest tip is to make sure to plan a few 1-2 minute walks in the middle. It just feels great to get past the finish strong rather than on your very last breath.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I'm with the others - definitely go and try your best, you may surprise yourself.

It's okay to walk when you need to. No shame.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    No shame in taking walking breaks, in fact if you look at Jeff Galloway's training plans they include walk breaks.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

I know some runners who turn in pretty impressive time using the 10 min run, 1 min walk method (you'll see pace bunnies for both run/walk and continuous running)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

Okey, I did feel ashamed at one point during a race and I needed to walk, but I was just passing a retirement home. There was this very rude old guy that yellow something like 'come on wussy, even I can go faster than you'. Right...

LOL, that happened to me one time while running through the neighborhood. Some guy watering his yard told me to hurry up! I couldn't breathe enough to respond very well. :tongue:
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    No shame! As you can see here, lots of people walk during races. GO FOR IT!!!!!! :bigsmile:
  • payupalice
    payupalice Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Finishing a half marathon, even walking some of it, is an AMAZING accomplishment! You won't regret doing it!!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    ---
    ---

Sorry, but that's awesome!!!
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I'd say start slow and steady - it's very easy to get caught up in the excitement at the beginning and go hell for leather for the first few miles and then run out of steam. Making it round anyway you can though will be a huge accomplishment, so just give it a go!
  • xAdrianax
    xAdrianax Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    when i trained for my half marathon, the furthest i had ran was 10 miles, i ran the whole thing :) last two miles were slow but i did it!
  • SMJ1987
    SMJ1987 Posts: 368
    Options
    My friends mom has been running marathons since we were little kids and was kind of a coach to me when I started. She runs halfs in great times, about 1:30 or so, and she always does 10 min running, 1 min walking. She said it just makes it more fun for her. I see no problem with it.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I've completed 3 half marathons in the past year. I can run about 5-6 miles without stopping, but for my half marathons I walk about every mile or mile and a half, and/or through water/aid stations. I finish in a decent time and feel very good about my accomplishments, as 18 months ago I wasn't running AT ALL and was 50 pounds overweight...there is absolutely no shame in walking breaks. I'd rather take walking breaks and finish injury-free--it works for me.

Google Jeff Galloway. He's a running coach/former Olympian that teaches a running/walking method. The man is 70 plus years old and still runs marathons (even after breaking a hip this past year)...he's been doing the run/walk method for probably 30-40 years, from what I've read.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I know several people who train only to ten miles for a half.

Definitely plan on walking during training as if you were in the race...this way you get used to starting back up.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Just give it a shot. 10 miles in training is more than enough. You'll get a little boost from the emotion on game day.