Lost Motivation

Options
I’m a little over half way to my goal weight since starting MFP in May, but the last few weeks my motivation has taken a nosedive. I have still lost about a pound since I’ve stopped trying so hard, but not losing as steadily as I was before is bumming me out and making it even harder to get back on track. I’ve been incredibly busy this last month, stressed with work and school and regular life crud, but everyone has those stressors, so I’m not going to act like that’s a valid excuse to eat like *kitten*. I'm still exercising regularly, but my eating has gotten terrible.

So I need some ideas. How do you guys get your head back in the game? ‘Just get off your butt and do it’ seems like obviously the best way, but I think I need a little more motivation/ internal trickery.
Any mantras, reward systems, short term goals, something that has worked for anyone?

Replies

• bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Something else, do friends on here really help keep you on track? I always deny friend requests just because I don't know why I'd need friends on here, but I guess if people are actually looking at what's going on with me and giving me crap when I'm doing poorly, that might help...
  • Culley34
    Culley34 Posts: 224
    Options
    Sure - feel free to add me.

Can you give me a bit more detail on your poor food choices? Are you eating out because of time constraints? Are you buying junk at the store? What was successful for you in the past?
  • LNZimmer
    Options
    I love my friends on here. I think it helps. :)
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Suck it up....get with it and continue losing the weight........you can do this!!!! Think thin!!!
  • cdpark617
    cdpark617 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I go through times when my motivation dips. Have you tried setting you goal to maintain so you can eat a little more without gaining? I found a week of that and maybe feeding some of those cravings gets me back on track to lose. I figure once I get my target weight I will be able to set to maintain anyway so a break that way seemed to work for me without getting to off track..
  • candctaber
    Options
    My modivation is also gone. I don't know if its the holidays coming up or the fact that family life is super crazy right now. Best of luck to you in reaching your goals! We can do this!!!!

Yes, friends on here have been a HUGE help!!! I couldn't have done as well as I have without each of them.
  • Lennox497
    Lennox497 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I believe the friends list provides unbiased support. We are all here for the same reason. We are here to make healthy lifestyle changes. This is place where you can talk bout working out and eating right without the fear of bad press we can receive from friends in the real world.

Keep in mind that just like anything on the nets, there are pros and cons. Some friends are tru motivators while others are well....creepers.
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Having friends on here can definitely help with the motivation!
  • Fit2Skinnyme33
    Fit2Skinnyme33 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I like having friends. It helps because when you do lose something or you did good, they tend to congratulate you OR if you State you are not feeling motivated today, people will help and tell you stuff.

It is hard to keep motivated. I have been trying to lose weight for 5 years and have finally bit the bullet and got a trainer. I am still in the beginning stages but having support all around (which my family doesn't help as much as I would prefer them to) friends on here are a whole lot more supportive. I can ask what helps others to keep motivated and get a ton of idea. I have a jacket that is slightly too small and it helps to see it every day and say I want to wear that by the end of the week or two weeks. I have goals for every 5lbs I lose and I have motivational "quotes" as my computer back ground and a picture of a female on my phone who I would like to work towards looking like. It helps me!

Just a thought :) Accept friends. :)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You've lost 43lbs since May? That's awesome! But, it's also totally expected that your pace will slow down. The closer you get to your goal, the harder it is to lose. You should calculate your TDEE and take a 20% cut from that. It will give you a steady 1lb/week pace. Keep in mind that weight loss isn't linear, so some weeks you might lose more, some weeks you might lose less. That's just how it goes.

Sometimes you need to take a break. I pretty much took 3-4 weeks off in late July/early August. Nothing wrong with that. I just hopped right back on track and started losing again. And you're right - everyone has those stressors, and you will have stress/scheduling issues for the rest of your life. So, that's why it's good to learn how to handle those now, so you aren't constantly yo-yo-ing with your weight.

And friends do help. I have a team that has similar goals as mine. Various friends have different skill sets and areas of expertise, so I know who to turn to when I have questions. It definitely helps keep me motivated and on track.

Good luck!
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have been there!...
    I actually just got out of this funk! I screwed up the entire month of September...ugh! Back to school and all that stress.
    I decided to enter into a 30 day challenge with a good friend of mine... No alcoholic drinks for 30 days...we are both keeping track of each other daily!!

And I bought myself a new sports bra and a new pair of tennis shoes yesterday; this morning I woke up...got out of bed and took that long hard look in the mirror and said...30 days!! I am challenging myself to put in 100% willpower for the next 30 days...

I am going strong today!! I think its really just an everyday decision. I had to remember why I started this journey in the first place...I was really sick and tired of being fat and tired!

GET SOME WOMAN!!! You can do this!! But do it for you!! Stand in front of that mirror and tell yourself...YOU GOT THIS!!! :)
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I alway say Motivation is under your workout clothes and shoes in the closet...if you put on the workout clothes and shoes...then motivation will follow...I know it's silly.....but try it....you might be surprised!!!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I would advise that you shift your focus from the weight you need to lose to good nutrition. Then you have the opportunity to hit your goal every single meal. (this is what I am doing, and the weight loss has been good, too)
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    i have a bunch of friends on here... BUT the motivation has to come from within. You can't depend on anyone else to motivate you. Either you're comitted or you aren't. Plain and simple.
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options

Can you give me a bit more detail on your poor food choices? Are you eating out because of time constraints? Are you buying junk at the store? What was successful for you in the past?

It's combination of time constraints and stress eating. In the past I've been way better about planning my meals for the week, lately it's been a stop anywhere, 'grab and go' type situation. I just need to get back to planning in advance so I don't have to worry about my will power to make good decsions come dinner time and I'm really hungry.

Those questions really made me think about the root of my problem, thanks!
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I actually started doing better when I started accepting MFP friends because I could relate to their struggles, find hope in their successes, and I could rely on much more solid advice than I could on the forums. (Just don't feel obligated to keep friends that you feel are negative influences, etc.) I've also seen MFP friends of mine lose 30, 40, 50+ pounds in less time than I've been on here and I think "there's proof right there that this will work if I stick with it, and I COULD be right there with them right now if I would just stop giving up."

To help my motivation, I also love looking at Before/After pics in the Success Stories forum- it helps me to visually see that YES- my goals are attainable. It also helps me see that yes, 20 lbs loss IS a difference even if I don't always see it in the mirror.

Recently, the idea of "Fake it until you make it" worked for me. I was NOT feeling the whole being-healthy thing and I was NOT happy for the first week or so...but then I lost a pound or two and it reminded me of why I really DO want to do this, even if I don't always feel super-eager, and now I find myself excited about trying healthy recipes, working out, etc.

I also try to tell myself- If I had started this a year ago like I had meant to, I would be at goal right now. I don't want to say the same thing next year.
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Friends on MFP have kept me motivated on MANY occasions. When you add to your friends list, their messages appear on your feed, and because I choose my friends carefully, their messages always tend to motivate me. My summer wedding was cancelled, and I lost my main motivator when that happened. I'm just now getting back on track, with the help and encouragement of some MFP pals.

Getting back on track was tough because I was so busy. So I spent a couple of days cooking massive crock pots full of very healthy and tasty dishes. I pre-portioned them into Tupperware, put some in the frige and some in the freezer. I also pack and measure salads (minus dressing) for 3 or 4 meals at a time, and stick those in the frige. For breakfast, I make a super healthy and delicious protein shake (I make lots of flavors so I don't get bored). When I leave for work, I take a portion or two of turkey chili, soup, or whatever I have made ahead, as well as a salad and some fresh fruit or nuts for snacks. Now eating requires minimal fuss, to get maximum nutrition. My calories are under every day (not by too much, mind you; I need calories to live)., and I am getting great nutrition and taste. I have so many tasty treats at work I don't crave junk food. It's working for me.

Good luck to you. You can do this.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Even when my motivation drops, I still continue doing my best to stay under calories or at least close. I just ride it out; I've never gotten to the point where I need someone to tell me to keep going so I haven't done a lot of friend requests. I feel so much better weighing less & that's all the motivation I need. I was stuck in the "only lost 40 some pounds" for a few months - it went very slow for me once I got to that 40 lb loss and I knew it would slow down at some point. I went to camp, went on vacation, ate a lot of M&M's for a few weeks, but didn't gain any back. My scale is moving down - it will happen as long as you just don't give up! Ask yourself "do I want to go back where I started or do I want to move ahead?" Another thing for me is I'm not in a hurry - I have no unrealistic goals. I gained the weight over a three year period so losing it in a year or 14 months or whatever will be good enough for me. I'm down 54 & even if I don't lose another pound, I'm still happier and healthier than I was. I have 17 til my MAJOR goal and from there I'll decide if I'm going to keep going. I also know that for the rest of my life I will need to keep track of my calories - I've gained weight every time in my life when I haven't. MFP has completely changed my way of thinking about food! Good luck to you!!
  • Culley34
    Culley34 Posts: 224
    Options
    My roommate is so guilty of this. We live blocks away from a local pizza / sub shop and on days where he's tired, he'll just go order something because he doesn't feel like cooking. With that said, try cooking all of your meals in advance (if possible). My coworker cooks all of his lucnhes for the week on Sunday night (he eats skinless chicken breast and corn every day).

If you can bring something with you that is healthy and nutritious (I like something like almonds)-- you'll be less likely to visit a drive thru.

Also, make sure you're drinking plenty of water!

It's combination of time constraints and stress eating. In the past I've been way better about planning my meals for the week, lately it's been a stop anywhere, 'grab and go' type situation. I just need to get back to planning in advance so I don't have to worry about my will power to make good decsions come dinner time and I'm really hungry.

Those questions really made me think about the root of my problem, thanks!