Cheat Day

Options
hajir7
hajir7 Posts: 53 Member
:smile: Hi all, what do you think about the cheat day? (when you choose a day of the week and eat whatever and not counting your calories) other dieting programs doing it, will it work with MFP?

Replies

• mary659497
    mary659497 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Cheat days don't work for me. It seems when I do have a cheat day it is really hard to get back on track the next day. Plus it is really hard for me to lose weight.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I don't really view MFP as a "Diet plan" so much as a tool. I do have one day a week where I don't care so much what I eat, but I still try to log it and I'm doing better with those days than I was a month ago.
    It's not about dieting, it's about making choices you can live with forever.
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I like a cheat MEAL. Not a cheat DAY. To slippery of a slope for me.
  • savannahjo92
    Options
    I have one!! My day is Saturday...
    However, the problem I've been having recently is that once I cheat Saturday... I also cheat Sunday and maybe even more.. ughh it's horrible! I lack self-control! :)
    But if you can do it, i feel it's great!!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    MFP is about simple math and is a life style change than a diet. Calories going in less than calories going out = weight lose. Cheat days are okay if you don't over do it and go crazy. Work on controlling portions during those cheat days so you won't ruin the rest of your weeks work.
  • Litlbeast
    Litlbeast Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who's said an entire day won't work. Honestly lately I can't even do an entire meal, and there are some foods I just won't ever eat again (like french fries). But it works for me - and that's all I'm concerned with.

But for those who can succeed w/ an entire cheat day - hey, I'm honestly happy for them. :)
  • lisaparks715
    Options
    I use to do a 'cheat day', and still will if I really want to eat something bad. I think the more progress I make though, the less I actually crave the bad foods. It's hard for me to justify eating extra calories because then I will feel guilty about it. My new theory is if i take a bite of something that I'm really craving and it doesn't completely satisfy my craving, I will not eat the rest of that item. By doing this I think the cravings are less and the food I once "had to have" I no longer find to taste as good.
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    If I had misused Alcohol the way I have misused food, I would be an alcoholic. Most people agree that Alcoholics who are recovering should not have even one drink.

Do Nothing and Regret it Later or Do Something and Enjoy it Later, Your Future Is In Your Hands
  • mandyabraio
    mandyabraio Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I cannot CHEAT even one time, for me in messes up what I have worked so hard for all week. I know cause I have weighed and lost then I cheated with just ONE THING and by official weigh in day I have gained a pound or two...for me cheating is a BIG NO NO....I have to stick to it 100% of the time and give it my all.
  • IzzyBmydog
    IzzyBmydog Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I believe in 1 cheat meal (usually a breakfast on the weekend). I do track but tend to feel guilty all day long. I believe if I didn't do a cheat meal that I would lose more consistently but sometimes I need it.
  • missjazzyfe
    Options
    Cheat days are good, but you should still count it. It's a good way to let yourself go but still have an idea of the damage you're doing. I would literally perish without having a cheat day once a week, but I know how quickly one day can turn into five or how it can kill any progress you made that week.
  • RunningMatt77
    RunningMatt77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Cheat days really work for me and my wife
  • jstandfield
    jstandfield Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Bad idea considering a slice of cheesecake can be as much as 1500 calories. That 3 gym sessions!
  • jbot78000
    Options
    One meal a week I eat whatever I want, but I do log it. I don't know why people aren't logging them...
  • missjazzyfe
    Options
    One meal a week I eat whatever I want, but I do log it. I don't know why people aren't logging them...

Logging is super important.
  • Eric7788
    Options
    Traditionally I have been doing a cheat day. I've cut it down to a cheat meal. I tend to go nuts for a whole day! LOL
  • missyjg99
    missyjg99 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Nope, I don't. I have learned moderation and balancing my calories as I would my checkbook. If I crave something, I have it. But with that being said, I know if I have a bowl of icecream that I'll have to run about 2 more miles then normal to work it off. I personally would be in trouble if I allowed myself a "cheat" day. Losing weight is such a mental game for me, above and beyond the physical aspects. I'm an overeater, I have an addictive nature. I think I'd overdo it and undo all of the postive changes I made that week. I log everything, it's so important to me.
    I do know people who have cheat days and it works very nicely for them. For me, not so much. I know my habits and know that it wouldn't do me any good.

Good luck!
  • SpiritRockBernie
    Options
    i had a cheat day yesterday and got set back a little. It's ok because I'm aware of it and am going to fix it! Before MFP, everyday was a cheat day. Happy tuesday folks!
  • Cindy393
    Cindy393 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    personally, I'm finding that right now I'm really not craving anything. It's hard for me to justify a cheat meal, let alone a cheat day. I had a cheat meal once to break off a plateau, and in my mind you would have thought I ate 3 pizzas. It wasn't worth it. Right now, I'm enjoying the feeling of not craving anything. I know it won't last. When hubby and I do go out and have something not normally healthy, like Chinese food, I still log it. I'm only cheating myself if I don't.