I'm not giving up anything Lent but I am starting 2 new habi

Options
Hey guys, I'm not a big fan of water it has to be said. It doesn't fill me up but rather seems to sit on my stomach and make me feel a little nauseous. At the same time I don't drink tea, coffee or any other hot drinks which seem to help everyone else up their intake.

That said I have decided that from tomorrow onwards (today is a warm up day) I will drink my minimum water requirement every day (even if it kills me). I know Tuesday seems to be an odd day to start but everyone else is giving up things for lent - never one to follow the crowd, I've decided to start a new habit instead! Plus my 30th birthday is on Good Friday so I figure it's a great motivator if this is going to help me shed a few extra lbs!!!

So.... a few questions:
1. There seems to be various reports about how much you should drink (obviously as much as poss) but am I correct in thinking that as a minimum I should be consuming 8 8oz glasses every day? What is that in mil's ???
2. Do diet soda's count towards that total?
3. Does squash (for the US MFP'ers - a more watered down and less sugar/calorific version of drinks like Gatorade made from concentrate) count?
4. Are there rules such as the intake should be spread evenly throughout the day or can you power down a pint or two at a time to reach the goal?
5. Can I include any protein shakes (made with water instead of milk) and supreme greens consumed?

I'm also looking to go from practically zero exercise to at least 30 minutes a day for the duration of lent in the hopes of getting a routine going that I can maintain. I did want to do this from the start but quit smoking on NYE and not wanting to take on too much at once figured I'd get the healthy eating and not smoking thing under my control first, 6 weeks in and 14lbs down I think nows the time to kick it up a notch. My birthday will act as a good motivator but now I just need to figure out what exercise to do!

Any input about how to get started and what exercises are most beneficial for all over burn would be great - I'm completely clueless with this stuff. I work 12 hour days 4 days a week and then 8 hours on a further 2 days, so getting to the gym and/or classes can be a bit tough - ideally I need stuff I can do on my own - most likely outside at night and in the cold (see why I haven't started yet!!!). I have a Davina exercise video but home is a little crowded so getting the time, privacy and space to do it is hard.

The couch to 5k program I keep hearing people talk about sounds awesome, but I can't seem to find any details of it in the UK. Is it something you have to buy or something anyone can do? I've never been able to run - the breathing and large chest have seen me give up time and time again, but it;'s something I've always wanted to be able to do.

Short of that the area I live in is very hilly so I can do some great hill walking!

Replies

• pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Congrats on your progress thus far:flowerforyou: You seem to be on the right track.

Walking is one of the best exercises - esp if you include hills. Walking is how I started. Check out www.c25k.com for more info on couch to 5k program. I just finished in Jan and can't believe that I can run (really it's a slow jog but I'm proud of it.) The first week has 8 runs of 60 sec each with power walking in between. The 9th week has you running for 31 min... I downloaded free podcasts that cued when to walk and run. Good luck.

On bad weather days, I do "walking DVDs" which are really low impact aerobics by Leslie Sansone or Zumba which is a Latin Dance.

As far as water - there is much controversy. The best argument for pure clean water came from arewethereyet - would you was your clothes with water that had coffee, crystal light, etc. Your body needs fresh clean water. Thankfully I love water. I often squeeze a fresh lemon into mine.
  • JBRENTLINGER
    Options
    First, let me say may Lent help you focus more on your goals, and may Christ be with you.

I also add lemon to my water to help with flavor signaling my brain that it is filling me up. Diet sodas are OK in moderation, but that have actutally been known to mess with your metabolism. Keep that in mind.

WALK WALK WALK. One of the best low impact exercises you can do on land. If the weather is bad, walk in place or better yet step walk by placing something that is about 2 inches off the ground to step on and do that for 15-20 minutes. You will be surprised how many calories you can burn!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I am also not a huge water drinker...pretty much have to force myself. My suggestion if find water that you like. We purchased an Aquasana water filter or for you any higher quality water filter works. If your water at least doesn't taste like chlorine, the ocean, or water ever water source yours is coming from it is easier to drink.

Skip the sugar and non-caloric sweetened things. I find I need even more water when I "add" something. If you need it sweet try some type of stevia (just a tad...too much leaves things bitter).

IMHO any excercise is better than none. Look for something you don't mind doing and has the least number of potential excuses attached to it.:laugh:

Best of Luck and blessed Lent! BTW I am giving up but also doing extra, too!
  • 2kidzlater
    2kidzlater Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Water only counts as water. I'm not a water drinker either. You can cut up some oranges into slices and place in a water pitcher with some water. This is what they do at spa's and it alway's taste so good. Wishing you the best.
  • sunqween21
    Options
    I was never a huge water drinker either. Just before Christmas last year, I quit drinking diet coke because it was messing with my metabolism. I replaced it with water. It took a couple weeks to break the habit and create the new one but now I reach for water like second nature. If I were you, I would not count the gatordade, coffee (its a diuretic), diet coke (diuretic), or smoothies made with water, or juice as water. I would count just water as water and tea as long as its unsweetened and there is no cream added.

My chiropractor once told me that for every 50 pounds you weigh, you should drink one liter of water.

Good Luck!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    1. There seems to be various reports about how much you should drink (obviously as much as poss) but am I correct in thinking that as a minimum I should be consuming 8 8oz glasses every day? What is that in mil's ???
    8Oz = 1cup = 250 Milliliters

2. Do diet soda's count towards that total?
    No

4. Are there rules such as the intake should be spread evenly throughout the day or can you power down a pint or two at a time to reach the goal?
    The more it is spread out the better as if you drink it all at once you will expel it all out within a short time.

5. Can I include any protein shakes (made with water instead of milk) and supreme greens consumed?
    Yes
  • baodom10
    baodom10 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey according to Weight Watchers you need 8 8oz of fluids that includes water, milk, juice, and diet soda. I drink water all the time and if I want something besides water I tend to go with juice ( though it does have more calories) I am not a fan of diet drinks. I am not sure if gatorade is ok. Gatorade is not good for you unless you are working out and burning the calories. Good luck.
  • urso99
    urso99 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Good for you for trying!!!!

I go in and out of loving water. Here's a few tips that help me,

- try and drink and finish a large glass of water with every meal.

- fill up another between meals, sipping and refilling as needed.

Give that a few days, then get yourself a large 20-24 oz water bottle. (which is 3- 8oz glasses) Drink till empty, then when you log your water, you multiply by 3!!

3-4 times of refilling the water bottle will have you meet your goal for the day! It may seem like a lot at first, but honestly, the more you drink it, the more your body wants it! Its crazy but true!!

As far as exercise, Try interval training!! if yo have a treamil its super easy.

Look at it as 5 min increments,

2 min fast, 3 min slower REPEAT! Aim for 20 min of that with a 5 min warm up and cool down. As you progress, it will get easier, thats when you up your speed to maybe an incline. Eventually you will be jogging for 2 min, walk 3 min, and so on!!

If you do not have a treadmill you can still do intervals at home! Try jumping jacks, large muscle exercised, jump squats, anything that gets your heart racing, then slow it down by doing light weight reps, like bicep curls, ect. Just think of HIGH-LOW, get your heart rate HIGH, then bring it LOW for about 20 min.
  • kateyb
    kateyb Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips and input guys, some great ideas here. I think I'm gonna start the C25K interspersed with some hill walking and see how I get on with that, and as for the water - the battle continues, lol