Do you count alcohol in your calorie goal?

Options

Replies

• StephDuffney
    StephDuffney Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I really think you may need this link to go to the AA Site

Here is the link http://www.aa.org/?Media=PlayFlash
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    I really think you may need this link to go to the AA Site

Here is the link http://www.aa.org/?Media=PlayFlash
    There is no evidence that this person is an alcoholic, that is quite rude. What a mean thing to say!

Anywyas, I think people need to be a little less judgemental, someone was asking for help and advice that is useful and productive. If people just want to answer to show how virtuous they are, rather than to help, that is not helpful.

I drink too, OP. I'm no alcoholic but I'm no puritan. Nothing wrong in it, don't let anyone make you feel bad.
    xxxxx
  • tressatnt
    Options
    I realised why I had gained weight when I started MFP and recording my daily glass of wine or 3. I now try to limit alcohol to 2 days a week (sometimes 3), and compensate with extra exercise. I find having alcohol every day, is just too calorie intensive for me.

Ditto. I'm a big wine drinker and hubs and I were opening a bottle almost every night. I made room for the calories, but decided that food would better suit me than wine, on most days. So I have cut back on the wine, it's hard because it's basically part of my nightly routine, but it's still doable.
  • lisaparks715
    Options
    You should try to switch to a 64 calorie beer if you want to keep drinking each day. It reduce the empty calories from alcohol, and since the beer doesn't taste as good, it may also help reduce your want for it every day.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Well.... yeah....
  • debbiekuhn123
    debbiekuhn123 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    From someone who used to drink 7 bottles of wine a week, yes 7, i would take my drink over my food, so my calorie intake in alcohol before i started a healthier weight loss programe would be much higher than food intake, was i an alcoholic? NO.. at the weight i was my body got used to it,

How rude some people can be to think we need AA numbers etc.. please give support not criticise, were all here to try & make a healthier lifestyle & learn about counting calories etc...
  • ksemien
    ksemien Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Make room for them and count them.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    OP is joking, right?
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    From someone who used to drink 7 bottles of wine a week, yes 7, i would take my drink over my food, so my calorie intake in alcohol before i started a healthier weight loss programe would be much higher than food intake, was i an alcoholic? NO.. at the weight i was my body got used to it,

How rude some people can be to think we need AA numbers etc.. please give support not criticise, were all here to try & make a healthier lifestyle & learn about counting calories etc...

It's the whole putting alcohol over basic nutritional requirements that indicate some sort of issue. Alcoholic...I don't know, but definitely some issues if you're choosing alcohol over food!!!!!!!! I'm here for a healthy lifestyle so I may be a harsher judge...not understanding why people aren't doing this for basic health reasons. Just my opinion. Maybe she's not ready for AA...but she's definitely got her priorities mixed up!
  • GardenDelight
    GardenDelight Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Of course. That is why I try to limit it to 3 glasses tops a week for wine. That is 80-100 cal per glass!!! I try to get my workout in good that day if I'm going to.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I suggested to my boyfriend he drink Miller 64 he laughed me out of the store. I do indulge once in a while and went my calories with a bottle of wine. Up your calorie intake or work out until you can have those beers. Or work out while drinking beers I always love a good drunk walk
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    I wish people wouldstop being all like 'Ugh, is this serious??' or whatever, YES it clearly was a serious question, so give a serious answer or go away, that's what I think.
  • Litlbeast
    Litlbeast Posts: 340 Member
    Options

It's the whole putting alcohol over basic nutritional requirements that indicate some sort of issue. Alcoholic...I don't know, but definitely some issues if you're choosing alcohol over food!!!!!!!! I'm here for a healthy lifestyle so I may be a harsher judge...not understanding why people aren't doing this for basic health reasons. Just my opinion. Maybe she's not ready for AA...but she's definitely got her priorities mixed up!

I used to be one of those people that got really defensive if someone questioned my daily drinking habits.

Suffice to say, 9 days away from the big 3-0. (some of you will know what that means, some won't; it's fine).

Not everyone who drinks is an alcoholic; alcohol's not evil at all. But if you need it and have to deny your body nutrients in order to make way for it, well... sorry, but some of us know what a duck looks like.

Good luck. :)
  • LivingInPuglia
    LivingInPuglia Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Make room for them and count them.

yes
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    How about you drink occasionally? What's more important to you, losing weight and being healthy or drinking it up every night and not getting enough calories?
  • debbiekuhn123
    debbiekuhn123 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Like i said, some people can be dam right rude & not think before they speak.. too many people like to judge people & not give support..oh what a shame..

I saw a proper medical person who declared me NOT an alcoholic, but drank out of habit.. like a person who smokes or eats food etc..
    I never once got drunk on the stuff it just chilled me, as the weight i was my body could take it, if i wanted to get drunk & be an alcoholic i would have seriously needed more than what i was drinking for myself

I liked to chill with a bottle of wine (not a bottle of vodka/whisky/gin etc) I never skipped meals on purpose, i just at that time didnt care to scoff my face as others do with foods

I now have 2 bottles of wine a week.. I guess i must still be an alcoholic,,some people really need to go onto courses before making bad judgements on others...

Have a nice day :)
  • mtorren
    mtorren Posts: 1
    Options
    Check out this link about:smile::wink: going under 1200/day for women:
    http://www.nowloss.com/starvation-mode-myth.htm
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1200 a day, and I drink 2-3 standard drinks (355ml bottle beer) every day, which is about 300-400 calories. This means I can only eat about 800 calories a day , or be 400 calories over...

I starve over 800 calories a day... any help pls?

I'm sorry, I can't stop laughing
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you know the answer to this. It's like me asking ..... does chocolate count? We all have something that we don't want to cut back on .... you just have to find a way to deal with it.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Ok I am from Wisconsin and appreciate a good beer. I don't care if i sound prudish here but I don't think the calories from the beer is the problem.. I think drinking every day is the problem. Those who suggest switching to light beers... If I am going to have a beer, it's going to be a good beer. (hackar pshor , sam adams, local breweries, hb amber, etc) I don't screw around with crappy beer. But when you drink good beer, you only need one and it's perfectly satisfying.

I would think you might want to address your Need to drink every day. Even if you are not getting drunk, drinking daily would quickly cause alcoholism. You don't have to miss work, get drunk, throw ****, etc to be an alcoholic. Alcohol is habit forming period.. everyone knows it.