Dreading the bird..thanksgiving is approaching!!

Options

Replies

• hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Eat the turkey and the vegetables (except the yams if they've been all sugarfied). Go easy on the taters and gravy and have a slice of pie but go easy on the whipped cream. Enjoy the food, but just don't go crazy. Put your fork down between bites if you need to. And don't step on the scale the next day, but make sure you get in a good burn. Drink water instead of any juice/soda. Those are my basic tips for any holiday.

Yes, it would be a little crazy to measure everything, but one day of eating a little more than you expected isn't going to throw you off too much.
  • GamerGurl729
    GamerGurl729 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I say enjoy it. Thanksgiving comes once a year and life is too short not to indulge every now and then. Just plan accordingly and don't overdo it.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Not me! Can't wait to gorge yum!!! tumblr_m9uj8zKpiP1ro5izz.gif
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I will eat

a few ounces of Turkey (breast Meat- No skin, no gravy
    A tablespoon of cranberry sauce
    A tablespoon of potatoes (mashed and/or sweet)
    A cup of veggies

AS far as desserts go.. it will depend on what choices I have..
    Generally Pumpkin pie is one I cannot say no too.. but I will take a smaller slice and I won't eat the crust!!

What will cause me to go over that day will be the wine!!
    I drink at holidays and weddings.. and I will not make excuses but I will try to make allowances!! Longer work out, shaving calories during that week.. Whatever it takes!!

ENJOY!!
  • jayhawkfan51
    jayhawkfan51 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    we go out of town every year for Thanksgiving and eat at a AUCE buffet. Any tips on wrangling that beast out there?
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    The holidays are a handful of days out of the year. I tend to enjoy them to the fullest!!! They will not sabotage a whole years worth of hard work and dedication. What will sabotage it is NOT getting right back into healthy eating habits and sensible portions the day after. Come the Friday morning after Thanksgiving I will be at the gym working my butt off and gearing up for the upcoming Christmas feast! YOLO!!!
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I am going to destroy some food on Thanksgiving. It is gonna be ugly and I am going to love every bite.

Amen!!! It's Thanksgiving!! I'm going to cook all day so that burns calories right? Hell I'm smashing! 2nds? Hell yes! 3rds at 11pm? Maybe!
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    My thanksgiving plan includes a very long strenuous hike (3.5 hrs) in the morning. this allows me to consume a ton of calories later on :) my only food limitation will be 1 piece of pie rather than poke mon style where you "gotta catch em all"
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You would need to all of your maintenance calories, plus an entire pecan pie, to gain ONE pound on Thanksgiving. Live a little and enjoy the holiday.
  • xuashe
    xuashe Posts: 46
    Options
    I am bringing my own cal safe dessert and will be skipping meat and eating just veggies.
  • LetsGoBlues
    Options
    I am going to destroy some food on Thanksgiving. It is gonna be ugly and I am going to love every bite.

This! FTW!
  • SweetMe1
    SweetMe1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm the one who cooks Thanksgiving dinner so that helps. I make all the traditional food--turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing, vegetables, ambroisa,butter rolls, and pies. I poll my sons and daughters-in-law for the two kinds of pies I will bake. I eat lots of turkey and vegetables on Thanksgiving Day; not much potatoes, gravy, stuffing or ambrosia and only part of a roll, but yes, I eat some. If I didn't I'd feel deprived. I have a small piece of one kind of pie in the evening.

I send the leftovers (ALL the pie!) home with my sons and daughters-in-law, I make turkey vegetable soup the day after Thanksgiving for me and my husband.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    It's depressing that this is already an issue.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    You would need to all of your maintenance calories, plus an entire pecan pie, to gain ONE pound on Thanksgiving. .

Don't put this beyond me. I make the best bourbon pecan pie and rum pumpkin pie . . . I generally have to make more than one of each because we fight over the last piece and then are sad on friday where there's nothing left.
  • payupalice
    payupalice Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've gotten pretty good at eating smaller portions, so I plan to have a little bit of everything that I like, including desserts! I also make sure that I bring a couple of healthy dishes that I can pig out on if I just feel like I need to go to town on something.

TG is my favorite holiday, because of the family time that fills me up with a joy that can last the whole year. Last year, all my tipsy aunts & uncles made my grandmother sing karaoke... it is always a day full of laughter and love!

Editing to add that I'm running the Turkey Trot that morning, so I'll be off to a healthy start!
  • gissalm
    gissalm Posts: 41
    Options
    it's just one day, it will be better if you have dinner earlier rather then after 9pm ... that will help the digestion.
    Other than that go for it, everything, I agree fill up your plate once, don't have seconds.

taste rather than eat the desserts, and enjoyed your holiday, some others said, it's just one day it's not going to mess up your eating habits and I agree, unless you are planning on overeating all day long whole cakes, buckets of ice cream, etc - then i will suggest a detox the next day :laugh:
  • arosethorn
    arosethorn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    On Thanksgiving? I would say to fill your plate once instead of twice and enjoy your time with family/friends.

This is what I think too! :)
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

Amen!!! It's Thanksgiving!! I'm going to cook all day so that burns calories right? Hell I'm smashing! 2nds? Hell yes! 3rds at 11pm? Maybe!

Yep. Gonna graze through the morning. Then have a big plate with everything. Then maybe seconds on my favorites. Then desert. Then late night thirds before bed.

Then the next day I should be super charged for some insane workout of some kind. Maybe a hike in the woods or something. Gonna be RAD!

Yes I said rad. :bigsmile:
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    The good thing is, my desire for a LOT of food at one sitting has changed so, I can do 1 plate with a little bit of everything and be happy. I am still going to get up and do my workout that morning so that I can make sure i have the extra for all the good stuff. :) Just be good the rest of the week. :-)
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I totally expect to gain 2 lbs that day because I will be polishing off wine with my dinner. And that's ok because I will have a month until NYE.