Afternoon Blood Sugar Crash

Options
Hi Everyone!

Around 3:30, 4 PM every day, without fail, I hit that proverbial "wall". Blood sugar crashes HARD! And my hand always wants to end underneath the cool Skittles dispenser we have at the office.

What are you recommendations for a pick me up in the afternoon that isn't going to derail my day?

Thanks for all your suggestions!

~Bri

Replies

• valerieg78
    valerieg78 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Bump for later..... I have the same problem and it happens about 3:00!
  • MrsB987
    MrsB987 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a protein bar or fiber one bar? They last a bit longer than skittles and depending on how many you are eating may have less calories.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    What are you eating for lunch?

If I need an afternoon snack, I'll have an apple or a greek yogurt, or sometimes both if I have been too low on cals so far that day.

If I'm just having a sugar craving, not real hunger, just a craving, then I'll have some flavored coffee.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    hmmm. I have never been a fan of the protein bars or fiber one bars. BUT- Nature Valley Oat and Honey bars are 90 calories for 1 bar (half the package). That isn't a half bad idea. Keep em coming folks!
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    forget the skittles and have an ounce of almonds and/or some lean protein. I'm not sure why you'd want to make your blood sugar spike just to crash again. The greek yogurt suggestion is a good idea too.
  • lavieboheme1229
    Options
    What are you eating for lunch?

If I need an afternoon snack, I'll have an apple or a greek yogurt, or sometimes both if I have been too low on cals so far that day.

If I'm just having a sugar craving, not real hunger, just a craving, then I'll have some flavored coffee.

my diary is open if you would like to peak. I usually have a wrap and pretzels and an apple. Last couple days have been left overs.
  • lavieboheme1229
    Options
    forget the skittles and have an ounce of almonds and/or some lean protein. I'm not sure why you'd want to make your blood sugar spike just to crash again.

I completely agree with you! I've had string cheese the past couple days to hold me over till Dinner, and it works, but it misses my sweet tooth. If that makes any sense.
  • DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    bump for later, I also have problems with my sugar crashing
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My favorite afternoon snacks are hummus with apple wedges, dry roasted edamame, Kashi peanut peanut butter granola bar, or almonds.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I usually have a cup of green tea... get one with lemon or honey in it and it solves the sweet tooth issue, makes you feel full and is soothing
  • lavieboheme1229
    Options
    My favorite afternoon snacks are hummus with apple wedges, dry roasted edamame, Kashi peanut peanut butter granola bar, or almonds.

What is edamame?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    forget the skittles and have an ounce of almonds and/or some lean protein. I'm not sure why you'd want to make your blood sugar spike just to crash again.

I completely agree with you! I've had string cheese the past couple days to hold me over till Dinner, and it works, but it misses my sweet tooth. If that makes any sense.

Try cocoa or cinnamon roast almonds. Not much sugar, but they taste sweet.
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    my diary is open if you would like to peak. I usually have a wrap and pretzels and an apple. Last couple days have been left overs.

Exactly what I did. You may want to try cutting out the pasta and other carbs midday - you dont need em. Replace with good fats and protein. The like honey graham crackers are all refined sugar and enriched flour. There's no reason to spike insulin with a carb/protein meal if youre sitting at work.
  • MrsB987
    MrsB987 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You could also try yogurt, apple, banana, blueberries. Really any fruit will give you a burst of sugar...and those are better for you then sugar from anything else.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options

What is edamame?
    soy beans
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I eat a snack of fruit or veg w/ a protein between each meal and that seems to help a lot the fruit ups your blood sugar a bit and the protein keeps me feeling full, I'm normally not hungry until after my workout and it's dinner time. Most of the time the snack is an apple/banana/carrots with string cheese/almonds/yogurt. I keep my lunch and breakfast pretty low cal so I can snack a little more often.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Whatever you try, I'd suggest not waiting for the crash. Try to keep your blood sugar from crashing by eating something that burns slower before you crash.

Good luck.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I just looked at about a week of your diary. You seem to eat more calories at snack time rather than at meal time. And things like pretzels and graham crackers aren't the best choices. You do seem to get plenty of protein with your protein shake, and that is good, but you might want to try for bigger calorie meals (balanced carbs/protein/fat) and healthier but smaller snacks.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    if you want combo sweet tooth and protein then get some chocolate covered almonds, keep it a handful they're addictive!

i always have nonfat greek yogurt with strawberries, and either chia seeds or sliced almonds. keeps me going till dinner.
  • Kely39
    Kely39 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Protein! It keeps the sugar levels even! Almonds, pistacious, low fat cheeses, slices of lunch meat, peanut butter, hard boiled eggs, yogurt all are good sources of protein!