Dreading the bird..thanksgiving is approaching!!

Options

Replies

• DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I can't even give any advice on this, because I know I am going to spend that day pigging out on turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, pies, cupcakes and most of all, booze. If I am watching my calories every day and exercising regularly, I am not worried that the one day will wreck it all. If I feel overly guilty, I will run an extra mile that week or lift weights for an extra 30 min. Just enjoy the holiday! It only comes once a year!
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Eat the turkey and the vegetables (except the yams if they've been all sugarfied). Go easy on the taters and gravy and have a slice of pie but go easy on the whipped cream. Enjoy the food, but just don't go crazy. Put your fork down between bites if you need to. And don't step on the scale the next day, but make sure you get in a good burn. Drink water instead of any juice/soda. Those are my basic tips for any holiday.

Yes, it would be a little crazy to measure everything, but one day of eating a little more than you expected isn't going to throw you off too much.

:laugh: LOVE the term "sugarfied"!!!

I am also going to destroy some food on Thanksgiving! CANNOT WAIT!!!!:bigsmile:
  • AmelodyAngel
    AmelodyAngel Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Oh I am excited! I'ma wake up early get a good workout in and enjoy my family and friends! One day certainly will not hurt anyone and then I am going to take a nice walk later that evening!!!! Drink lots of water and you shall be fine!!! Enjoy and embrace the Holidays and just keep up with your workouts!!!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I dread the bird too. That's why I make portion sized vegetable pot pies instead, with loads of veggie side dishes.

Here's my menu:

Tossed salad with balsamic dressing
    Stuffed mushrooms
    Cauliflower soup
    Veggie pot pies
    roasted squash
    steamed green beans with sauteed mushrooms
    cranberry sauce
  • specialkyc
    specialkyc Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    My diary shall forever remain blank on Thanksgiving. Enjoy the holiday, the food, the festivities - then get back to it the day after.

^^^ And this!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    We may not even do a turkey this year. My family is southern. We do ham on Thanksgiving. I might get myself a ham and smoke it myself in lieu of a turkey.

As for what to do, I say fill your plate and enjoy the day with your family. One day isn't going to undo all the other days of hard work and diligence on your part. Just be consistent and behave going into the holidays and after, and you should be just fine :)
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Eat a 1/2 cup of EVERYTHING!!!! I'm not kidding. You can eat Thanksgiving dinner without going over as long as you exercise and plan ahead. Put your favorite foods in your food diary and add it up now so you can make adjustments. Best of luck to ya!
  • cvthatcher
    cvthatcher Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    i'm gonna eat whatever i want on thanksgiving. it's a holiday. if i'm treating the efforts i've been making at the gym and in the kitchen as a lifestyle change, instead of a diet or quick fix, then i have to accept that holidays are a part of life, and the next day i'm gonna kill it at the gym.

it also helps that i don't really like turkey. haha.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Last Thanksgiving was the first time in a long time where I ate "mindfully."

I didn't deny myself any of the the dishes I really wanted to eat, including desserts.

Then again, I didn't fill my 12 inch (mostly square) plate with 4 inches of food and then go back for seconds and thirds to reach a cubic foot of food.

I didn't eat mindlessly, just for the sake of eating something.

Eating something that looks like real portions, even if it is somewhat over your daily caorie budget isn't the end of weight/nutrution balance program. Just don't go overboard for the entire Thanksgiving to New years period.

The average person gains about 8 pounds in that period of time. I gained 1 pound which I promptly took off in January without a great deal of effort.

The question is are you willing to be completely honest about what you consume in that period. I wasn't using MFP at the time but I was using a manual logging diary to track food intake.

The action of physically wrting it down BEFORE you consume it can be an interesting exercise.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    To me it's the same as vacation eating. I'll try to be good and get some activity in but if I happen to go over...so be it. This isn't my first rodeo and it sure as hell won't be my last. I refuse to deprive myself and know it'll be just as easy to lose the possible gain as it's been the last two years.

Plus I'm more worred about Christmas - oh the frosted sugar cookies!
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I can't wait for Thanksgiving! I have every intention of filling my plate with turkey, veggies, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, rolls and my turtle pumpkin pie. It's one day, it's not going to ruin my life.

I don't know if I'll log it all or not, but like I said: it's one day.
  • Thanksgiving is the best "free cheat day" possible. Be thankful :tongue:

That being said, the entire family and I plan to run a Thanksgiving race that morning and pig out that afternoon. Whoever gets the best time gets the biggest piece of pie (ok that last part is not confirmed, but I think I am the fastest, and I will be taking the biggest piece of pie either way....):laugh:
  • luvmypwds
    Options
    Why would anyone dread the bird? That's ridiculous. Turkey meat is one of the leanest out there.
  • CheekyRunner
    CheekyRunner Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I will eat it all on Thanks giving...but I will bust my butt the day before and for a couple of days after! I can't wait for Monday to roll around. I will be picking up my turkey this saturday. yum =) I should add that I cook the dinner so I have control over what is served. :wink:
  • HallerFitness
    Options
    Run a 5K that morning
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Run a 5K that morning

^^^best plan ever! that will free up some calories for the day!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I can't think about Thanksgiving yet. I am trying to get past all the Halloween candy!

No doubt! Halloween candy kills me every time....... I can eat a whole bag of "fun size" if I let myself.

halloweencandy.jpg
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I can't think about Thanksgiving yet. I am trying to get past all the Halloween candy!

^
    This ....... my boss already put a bucket of the stuff at the front desk ..... two feet from my face, thank you very much :sad:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You would need to all of your maintenance calories, plus an entire pecan pie, to gain ONE pound on Thanksgiving. Live a little and enjoy the holiday.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!!!! :tongue:

Not a fan of pecan, but i am sure that I could eat one and a half pumpkin pies.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Eat and enjoy! A day or two off plan isn't gonna hurt you. Remember, it'snot what you eat from Thanksgiving to New Year's that really counts. It's what you eat from New Year's to Thanksgiving.