Best and worst car. What is your criteria?

Options
digitalbill
digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
When you say this car was the "best", what do you base that decision on?

For me, my biggest decision is the abuse-to-breakage ratio.

For example, if I own an AMG55 Mercedes that seems to keep puking starters, it will be a bit lower on my points
However, if I own a Honda Accord with 300,000 miles on it and all if needs is tires and belts, it will score higher then the Mercedes.

At the same time, if I own a Jeep CJ-7 that I keep breaking because I drive it like I am filming a movie, I cannot complain too much wieh things break.

So, what are your criterias?

Replies

• Fit_Vixen
    Fit_Vixen Posts: 201
    Options
    I don't know anything about cars. But what I do know is that I prefer classic muscle cars!!! I love the mustang Shelby <3 .
    The cars I can't stand are the tiny cars, the ones where my leg is longer than the entire car length, lol!!
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Over the years I've had a bunch of cars and my worst car was AMC Concord...went through Alternators like crazy and my best was a Hyundai Sonata...drove like a cadillac and was decent on gas.
  • red1775
    red1775 Posts: 22
    Options
    If it does what I want, when I want it is a great ride.

If it is a garage queen it is junk.
  • loumaag
    loumaag Posts: 118
    Options
    Chevy - Best
    Ford - Worst
    Criteria, having owned both over the years. Ford = lots of shop time. Chevy = almost no shop time with equal abuse to both and not buying the economy models of either.

I do like that Ford did not take a bailout, which is why I own Ford stock, but not their POS vehicles.
  • rhvandan
    rhvandan Posts: 185
    Options
    From owning several I have learned this:

1) I NEVER want to own a "luxury" car again. Luxury= overpriced EVERYTHING. I had a 2004 Volvo XC90 T6 and even the smallest things were an ordeal to fix. Headlight? $250 bucks, transmission? $7200 bucks. Plus it only got a wimpy 11 mpg and only took premium gas. Overpriced and under delivered. I traded that POS in for a 2008 Honda Odyssey, yep a MINIVAN gets higher ratings in my book over that stupid SUV. I love suvs normally..

What I like is reliability, gas milage, tank size, turning radius, braking distance, cost of ownership, ease of finding a dealership/repair shop who will work on your car (believe it or not I only have 2 shops within 50 miles of me that would TOUCH the volvo).

I've also learned that you should not go for power everything, because power everything fails. Do not get power sliding doors, on board GPS, or built in entertainment systems. They all fail, and they fail in a massive way. They make very affordable add-on accessories that you can replace with ease should they not perform in their intended manner.

I also look under the hood and see how accessible the cables, basins, and hoses are. If they have to lift your engine to replace a hose a repair can skyrocket from a reasonable $50 or $60 to well over $2000.

Check online reviews of tire wear and maintenance as well. The volvo wore tires out in under 20K miles and they were about $800 to replace, not fun when you commute 60K miles a year.

Good luck!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Best:

Design.

History.

Delahaye and the Pegaso Z102 B.

Worst? Anything after 1969.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,058 Member
    Options
    I've had two Fords (Fix Or Repair Daily.) Can't think of anything good about either. Well, except one was a 68 Mustang. I mean, come on. Drove like a tank - and slid all over the place. But purty. Real purty.

Two VW Beetles. Back in the 70s-80s. They were great on repairs, not so great on storage...fine as a teen. Not so much when I needed more room. The heaters sucked. And I lived in Florida. Again, looks aren't everything.

A GMC Pickup. Lasted 14 years with not even a consistent oil change or tune up. My fault. Live and learn. I'd buy another.

Subaru. Best. Car. Ever. It does everything I ask, and more. Plenty of storage, great gas mileage, drives like a little race car (and it's a Forester) gets me out of icy, snowy messes, looks good, no reapirs to speak of, and excellent dealer support.

Subaru for me. Forever.
  • wolfpack77
    Options
    Fellow Subie fan here too.. they really are awesome cars. I've owned mustangs, Pontiacs, and hondas. The Subaru trumps them all. Not only in reliability but performance. Gotta admire a tiny little 2.0 that cranks out the same power as a lot of muscle cars but is lighter and all wheel drive. I've bounced my subaru off guard rails, nissans, and 1 foot curbs and it never asked me for anything but an oil change every 5k miles. 107k miles and it still doing 12.9 in the quarter mile while getting 26 mpg in the city. Nothing matches it.
  • Williamj
    Williamj Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Best: I've owned 3 Hondas over the years and never has one broken down on me.

Worst: That thing Walter White drives.
  • hacker1234
    hacker1234 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Nowadays, anything made in Japan or Korea.....Toyota, Honda, Hyundai are 3 top cars that I think you can always rely on. I have a RAV-4 and an Elantra and I think I'll get a Sonata or Elantra next
  • xXKatrinaXx
    Options
    Nowadays, anything made in Japan or Korea.....Toyota, Honda, Hyundai are 3 top cars that I think you can always rely on. I have a RAV-4 and an Elantra and I think I'll get a Sonata or Elantra next

My elantra has been great!! I was sad at first because it was my first non luxury car... But it's been the best. I drive a hundred miles a day for work and usually 40 in the gas tank lasts a week. I've had it for a year and haven't had to repair a thing.

I loved my Lincoln mark viii so much because it was super nice inside and drove so quick and fast... But it was a v8 and every time something broke it was a pain in the *kitten* to fix!