wanting more info

Options
I am thinking about going to buy a elliptical:wink: but I am wondering what some of the feeling are on them before I go spend the money on one:huh: ...Do they really work?:ohwell: and does anyone have any recommendations on one that is worth spending the money on..I dont want one that will fall apart in a few months:noway: but I also can not afford a real expensive one either..:grumble: thanks for any help you can give me on them:flowerforyou: ..or even if there is another machine that someone would suggest that you have and works for you:indifferent: in your weight loss and muscle gain..:heart:

thanks,
Lisa

Replies

• tnewcom
    Options
    i am gonna keep my eye on this!!
  • scru10izer
    Options
    Try Play It Again Sports for quality used equipment.
  • Rebecca__Lynn
    Options
    I just have a treadmill...has an incline on it....Works great for me....using the incline helps to build muscle in the legs/butt....and you can adjust speed to burn more or whatever. I've had all types of machines...I like the treadmill because it allows for my moods as well...if I don't feel the best I can still get on and burn calories...just don't have to do the heavy intensity kind of thing. I just like it. I've head a lot of people that LOVE the elliptical...I've never found one that's comfortable.. feels odd to me...feel like my feet are so far apart. Just MY opinion...again, I've heard ALOT of people that really like it. Good luck in whatever you do!!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I'm actually not a huge fan of the elliptical, I seem to be getting a harder workout on the Cybex ArcTrainer. If you google ArcTrainer, you'll see a lot of different pages where people compare it to the elliptical. The AT is said to be easier on your knees, since it has a different motion from the elliptical, similar but different. It displaces your weight on various muscles in your lower body and doesn't put as much pressure on your knees. I've also read that it's harder to get your heart-rate up on the elliptical, but I don't have a HRM to prove it at this point in time.

I would suggest maybe getting a trial membership to a gym that has both machines and seeing which you prefer?

Also look at Craigslist, people are always getting rid of exercise machines on there for cheap!

Good luck!
  • anward1
    Options
    make sure you go somewhere that you can try it before you buy it, because they all feel different. Some are really stiff moving and can cause knee pain. I agree Play it Again Sports would be the first place I went.
  • BassBoneBabe
    BassBoneBabe Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I really like my recumbent bike. it works more muscles than a regular exercise bike and it doesn't hurt your tush. This is also a safe exercise if you have knee issues (my husband does) as it puts no weight on the knees. The elliptical made me really dizzy when I tried. I agree with going somewhere and trying out a few machines first. Good Luck and happy hunting.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I'm actually not a huge fan of the elliptical, I seem to be getting a harder workout on the Cybex ArcTrainer. If you google ArcTrainer, you'll see a lot of different pages where people compare it to the elliptical. The AT is said to be easier on your knees, since it has a different motion from the elliptical, similar but different. It displaces your weight on various muscles in your lower body and doesn't put as much pressure on your knees. I've also read that it's harder to get your heart-rate up on the elliptical, but I don't have a HRM to prove it at this point in time.

I would suggest maybe getting a trial membership to a gym that has both machines and seeing which you prefer?

Also look at Craigslist, people are always getting rid of exercise machines on there for cheap!

Good luck!

I agree! The arc trainer is awesome! Although I do believe the elliptical is still good... I prefer the arc. I would try the temp gym membership that was suggested. it's a good way to test out the equipment.