Polyunsaturated & Monounsaturated Fat... Errrr what?!?

Options
I'm wondering if some of you kind people can help me.... I have 0g allowance on Polyunsaturated and Monounsaturated but every meat even chicken tenders and salmon have atleast 1g? Am I being expected to cut meat out of my diet? Can somebody please explain to my why these fats are different and so bad?

Replies

• tikimatt
    Options
    I have the same question...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Polyunsaturated and Monounsaturated fats are good fats, not bad at all help increase your good cholesterol. You may have to go into custom mode and put an allowance in, or you can choose not track these kinds of fats. the type of fat you want to stay away from are trans fats. And the fat you should have in moderation are Saturated fats. Good luck.
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Polyunsaturated and Monounsaturated fats are good, healthy fats. It is the SATURATED fats and TRANS fats that you want to limit or stay away from completely, if possible.
  • grrjr1984
    Options
    In moderation Polyunsaturated & Monounsaturated Fats are considered "heart healthy" fats. Monounsaturated ,are known to lower bad LDL cholesterol and raise good HDL cholesterol, and comes from Olive oil, peanut oil, canola oil, avocados, nuts and seeds. while Polyunsaturated fat are in Vegetable oils , nuts and seeds.
  • Caz89
    Caz89 Posts: 6
    Options
    Oh I see, thank you! How do I change my alowance then ?
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    To play devils adovate here..................

PUFA's or Polyunsaturated fats are NOT healthy for you. They are known Carcinogens.

I am only an advocate of Saturated fats as animal fats are natural occurring and do NOT raise cholesterol or cause hardening of the arteries.

The only part of this I agree with is that TRANS FATS are really, really bad for us

Any fats that are chemically altered or man-made are unhealthy, which includes vegetable oil, canola oil............but they keep telling you that they are good for you.

The Healhiest fats are Saturated fats (animal fats, coconut oil), Olive Oil, and other natural oils..............

Coconut oil is a saturated fat - but it is the healthiest fat in the world. Imagine that!!!

For more info regarding this, please keep an open mind and read this thread that was started last year. There is a lot of information presented on both sides, which makes it an open debate.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/60768-eat-more-fat