Arm Fat!!! Tone-able or Cut-able?????

Options
Well as I expected... It is getting worse week by week... I started lifting little weights trying to work on it.. But nothing really... I still have more weight to loose... And expect it will get even more worse :( It has gotten to the point I can only wear 3/4 quarter sleeves now because it's so bad and embarrassing.. So do you guys think it's toneable or will I eventually have to get it cut? I found a new surgery where they don't actually cut your arm across anymore, which leaves a horrrrrilbe scar! Now that they came out with the other one, I am more definitely interested... But.. I of course will give it some time...Before I make a decision on it... And still have more weight to loose anyways... Sooooo any suggestions???? It's really embarrassing posting this picture BTW.. But I need some sincere advise! Here it goes!!! LOL .. Sick I know!!!!
20121002_2015292-1.jpg

Replies

• supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    1st very brave of you to do that. I think you should concentrate on your weight loss and continue to go towards your goal weight. When you have done so , you then could look into skin removal surgery if you still think you need it , you may not, Best of luck to you
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Definitely increase your weight training. Is it mostly loose skin from your (very impressive) weight loss? If so than something like Excilis might help. It is radio-wave treatment that tightens loose skin, but I don't know if it could tackle that volume. I would get to goal weight and build up those muscles as much as possible, then consult a plastic surgeon if you still have the bat wings.
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat - my arms look exactly the same way. I will be starting to lift weights next week with a trainer. You are not alone. :grumble:
  • Sweetie20oh5
    Options
    YOU CAN LOOSE WEIGHT WITH OUT THE FLAB. I'VE LOST 50 LBS IN 90 DAYS. I DON'T HAVE FLAB. I AM TONED AND ALL U SEE IS THE WEIGHT GONE. I REALLY WANT TO HELP PPL. AND I PROMISE YOU WILL LOVE YOUR RESULTS.
  • MizzTweezy
    MizzTweezy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    i already got the flab hanging.. They wrinkle in the morning when I wake up like puckered prunes... Along with my boobs, my inner thighs and my belly.. All is shriveling :( so much for a cute halloween costume...
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I am in the same situation to a point. I have lost close to 70 lbs. I am lifting weights and I am seeing an improvement. I have tried reading up on it and some of what I have learned is to make sure you stay hydrated ( at least 8 glasses of water and preferrably more). Also, massages can help. Mainly though is continue weight and strength training and time. It can take 6 months to a year for skin to bounce back. Give it time before you make a decision--if you do it without surgery there will be no scar big or small.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Lift HEAVY weights, drink lots of water, finish losing all your weight and moisturize. Keep that up for a year and after that you still have significant amounts see a doctor about getting it cut. it takes time for your skin to heal itself after such dramatic stretching but there will be improvements.
  • KatFerrie
    Options
    It is always cut-able, as you can always find a doctor willing to help you with the issue. But, do give more time with the strength training and staying even more hydrated than before. Kudos to you for your determination to make a healthier stand in your life! Also, the picture wasn't that bad, though I'm sure we all have parts that we don't want to show. You really help others with your inquiry.
  • MizzTweezy
    MizzTweezy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Lift HEAVY weights, drink lots of water, finish losing all your weight and moisturize. Keep that up for a year and after that you still have significant amounts see a doctor about getting it cut. it takes time for your skin to heal itself after such dramatic stretching but there will be improvements.

I won't look like Arnold Schwarzenegger or anything will I? LOL
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    unfortunately, extreme or rapid weight loss can cause this "extra " skin to happen. Obviously when you gain weight it also stretches your skin and with rapid or extreme weight loss that skin is not gonna rebound as fast as your weight loss-so your left with saggy skin that hasnt returned to its original size. Sometimes it takes a while to get the shape back and it may never be as firm as you want it. That doesnt mean you cant shape the muscle underneath it and get it tighter and firmer. Exercises like Kickbacks, tricep pushdowns , French Press...and so on are good shaping exercises and should help. Definitely give it time , work hard and you will get it the way you want it. Only ONLY use surgery as a last resort, give it time and you will improve:)
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options

Not unless you are taking steroids or other crazy supplements. Also make sure to get the proper amount of protein in. I know that can be difficult with WLS but it'll help with muscle development. It takes a LOT of insane work to get super buff, even if you are taking steroids. If you do 30-60 minutes of weight training a day you'll be fine. Since it also doesn't happen overnight you'll be able to lay off a bit if you feel like you're getting "too buff" (you won't)
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Women don't have enough testosterone to lift heavy and look like Arnie. You're transformation is amazing, keep up the good work and focus on the postive changes you've made. Bat wings and saggy boobs are a downer though aren't they. Its not long till I'm 40 and I've already noticed things aren't like they used to be.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options

^Exactly this!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    That much is not going to tone up. I am starting to consult with surgeons now. Brachioplasty is important to me for comfort, fit of clothing and appearance. I like to wear short sleeves and want things to fit. And let's face it, the flapping is uncomfortable when scrubbing or clapping excitedly! Might do abdominal flap too, got one rash in the heat and I am very clean but that much overhang is not good.

Doing weights WOULD be good though
  • RozWynn
    RozWynn Posts: 30
    Options
    Well as I expected... It is getting worse week by week... I started lifting little weights trying to work on it.. But nothing really... I still have more weight to loose... And expect it will get even more worse :( It has gotten to the point I can only wear 3/4 quarter sleeves now because it's so bad and embarrassing.. So do you guys think it's toneable or will I eventually have to get it cut? I found a new surgery where they don't actually cut your arm across anymore, which leaves a horrrrrilbe scar! Now that they came out with the other one, I am more definitely interested... But.. I of course will give it some time...Before I make a decision on it... And still have more weight to loose anyways... Sooooo any suggestions???? It's really embarrassing posting this picture BTW.. But I need some sincere advise! Here it goes!!! LOL .. Sick I know!!!!
    20121002_2015292-1.jpg

Do NOT be embarrassed you have done what so many aspire to do. Kudos to you and do whatever you have to do to make yourself comfortable in your new "skin"
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    There's no such thing as localized fat loss.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Hit your goal weight, wait two years and then see where you stand. Rapid weight loss will leave some saggy skin, plus you still have plenty of fat there that is clearly pulling said saggy skin down. So a combination of time to let the skin bounce back, fat loss to reduce gravity's effect and some muscle building to help fill in the empty space will be very helpful. How helpful? Depends on the person, you'll find out in 2-3 years.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options

NOOOOOO.... That's a very stupid myth that sadly the media is trying to put us women into. I myself deadlift & squat at 135 lbs., lunge at 125 lbs., bench press at 30 pounds each dumbbell, barbell row at 65 lbs. I'm 5'2 & weigh only 120 pounds and I've been doing this for almost 2 years. Now tell me, do I look like Arnie?

EDIT: I also have PCOS & above average testosterone levels but that didn't give me an edge at all. We women don't have enough testosterone levels to build big muscles like a man can.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Me too - my arms always were bigger than average, but now I have lost weight I have arms that look just like yours. I am used to wearing sleeves all the time.

I am hoping that weights will help. I note what people have said about being hydrated, and will try and keep that up as well.

I don't think I would go surgery - but wouldn't rule that option out completely for myself. Would like to do it with other non-invasive options first.

Great weight loss, congratulations! :flowerforyou:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Regardless you are the one that as to live within your own self esteem, so ultimately it comes down to your choice to do what will make you happiest. It matters not how fast are slow you lose the weight if the skin is stretched to a certain point then other variables will come into play on whether it regains some of its former or shape. Age, genetics, amount of weight you carried and for how long, amount of weight lost, etc, etc.. There are lots to take into consideration.. I have lost 311 lbs. and if you go check out my blog you will see that over 3 years and losing the weight as slow as possible, using weight training as a tool, as well as all the other suggestions, hydration, lotion, etc. I still am/was dealing with loose skin. I chose surgery to repair my torso (body lift) and am currently (well after I heal from the body lift, 8 days Post Op) going to continue with weight training for my arms and thighs. If that fails then at some point I will still entertain the thought of surgery but will exhaust all options as I have been doing... Best of Luck