Shoul I get a Fitbit or HRM?

Options
All I want it for is accurate calories burnt so flash features arent important. Im leaning towards the fitbit only because it links in with MFP. ANY advice from peeps who have one or both would be greatly appreciated, thanks :happy:

Replies

• CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Im posting so I can see your replies. I need to get opinions on this too! :-)
  • klsdwn
    klsdwn Posts: 54
    Options
    I personally would recommend a HRM. I have the Polar FT7 and LOVE it. I think, and someone will correct me if I'm wrong (I am sure), but the FitBit is better for stairs and walking, but not as accurate for cardio/harder workouts. That's just my 2 cents. LOVE my polar!!
  • StaceyG221
    Options
    Bump...
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Bumping so I can see answers
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    HRM will be more accurate than anything. Personally I own both. I use my FitBit to accrue extra calories while chasing after my son all day and my HRM for my daily workouts. I have the Polar FT7. The FT4 is also a good model.
  • tmbowen12
    tmbowen12 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I personally would recommend a HRM. I have the Polar FT7 and LOVE it. I think, and someone will correct me if I'm wrong (I am sure), but the FitBit is better for stairs and walking, but not as accurate for cardio/harder workouts. That's just my 2 cents. LOVE my polar!!

You are absolutely correct :o) I have both and prefer a HRM I have an older Polar f4
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I have both, love them both. I only use my HRM for cardio, the Fitbit is much better at getting an accurate picture of my day.
  • sofia0586
    sofia0586 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    hrm for sure!
  • tmbowen12
    Options
    HRM will be more accurate than anything. Personally I own both. I use my FitBit to accrue extra calories while chasing after my son all day and my HRM for my daily workouts. I have the Polar FT7. The FT4 is also a good model.

Have your adjustments been right? I don't eat any of my adjustments because I think they are off a bit. When I did eat them I gained :o( I only use my fitbit for walks and to get mileage in. I use my HRM on the elliptical and Strength training sessions.
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have both and honestly, I prefer my HRM. I LOVED my Fitbit at first and it is a lot of fun to use, but as I lost weight I found that the HRM was better able to track my cardio workouts.

I suppose it all depends greatly on what you intend to do. If you plan on doing mostly walking for exercise try the Fitbit. On the other hand, if you plan on doing Zumba, going biking, etc the HRM would be the way to go.
  • Vicstar1977
    Options
    Beautiful guys, thanks :-)
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    The fitbit was super appealing to me, it's so pretty and syncs with MFP! But I went with a HRM in the end. The fitbit really only tracks steps from what I understand, and won't be good at estimating calories burned for other types of exercise (lifting weights, biking, etc.)
  • tmbowen12
    Options

You are absolutely correct :o) I have both and prefer a HRM I have an older Polar f4

DIdn't finish oopsie. I use my HRM for strength training and elliptical/cardio workouts. I need accuracy on calories burned during these workouts so I know how much to actually eat back to fuel my body. Fitbit adjustments I don't trust. Especially after all the problems the past few weeks. :o(
  • danimal5867
    Options
    For my purposes, a heart rate monitor is the essential tool. I don't care about my routine day. I know it's highly active. I have a very physical job so I have my profile set to highly active. What I need to know is the calories I burn when running and other cardio workouts. For this type of information nothing can ever be as accurate as a HRM. Many tools, such as a fitbit, can give you estimates based upon the results. However, the heart rate monitor actually measures the effort required to achieve those results.
  • finchase
    finchase Posts: 174
    Options
    I can't comment on the Fitbit since I don't have one, but my HRM is great. I've been using my FT7 (the best price I found was through Amazon) for a little over a year, and it's been a powerful motivator for me. I knew MFP and even the workout machine was too high in the amount of calories I was really burning, but the differential between the real burn as determine by my HRM and the machine and/or MFP was staggering. It really motivated me to work out even harder and longer to get a better burn. I think this greatly helped me in getting close to my goals.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is good for incidental exercise as it counts your steps for the whole day, rather than just the 'workout' time. If you want something to count your actual burn during a workout a HRM is your best bet. If you can afford both, go for the combo (you can manually enter activities to override with your HRM burn numbers on the fitbit website) so that you get more accuracy. If you can only afford one, I'd go for the HRM. I do love my fitbit though as it reminds me to get up from my desk and move!!
  • ambitious01
    ambitious01 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I own a fitbit. I lost 10 pounds the first month. After that...... nothing. I recommend maybe a body bugg?:happy: or hrm
  • flajocar
    Options
    I have both, love them both. I only use my HRM for cardio, the Fitbit is much better at getting an accurate picture of my day.

Same here. I actually have Two HRMs. One with GPS for my outdoor rides and one for indoor exercise. The fitbit is used when not working out to give an accurate account of steps and activity levels.
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    i would get one of these.... bodymedia fit

http://www.bodymedia.com/

or these... body bugg

http://bodybugg.com/

the body media fit..sounds like the better option though.
  • MissBernie73
    MissBernie73 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4, have only been using it for a week but i love it.