Shin Splints

Options
I'm training for a 10K and I can't get rid of my shin splints. Does anyone have any tips to alleviate my pain?

A few notes: I bought a new pair of shoes to train and I started training 6 weeks ago. Also, prior to my training, I used the elliptical for cardio workouts so my guess is my body might still be adapting to the stress. It just puzzles me because I ran for exercise in the past and I would rarely get shin splints.

Replies

• skinnylion
    Options
    Your legs have to adjust to the new shoes and the new surface/impact. When I used to play sports our coach would never let us do runs on pavement because the change from a grass field (which we normally practiced on) to the road would mess us up. I would recommend a few days of rest and then try picking up where you left off.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
  • bigblue92710
    bigblue92710 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Nice, thank you for the help!
  • Superfantastic
    Options
    You may need shoes with better arch support or insoles. I had shin splints when I started running because I have flat feet. I started using Super Feet insoles, which really helped. (It also helped me to wear high heels the day after a run, but I suppose that advice won't work so well for you.)
  • AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Are you running properly? Mid-foot landing is essential to avoiding shin splints and stress fractures as a runner. The only way to "cure" shin splints is to take rest - 2-6 weeks depending on severity, and do low-impact (eliptical, swimming) cardio during that time. Most people fine they can train with shin splints, but they will take longer to heal. Just stop increasing distance/time/intensity and scale back your training to what you were doing a few weeks ago. Don't progress forward in intensity until the shin splint pain has diminished significantly. Shin splints are stress/repetitive use injuries, and they're usually an indicator that if you keep doing what you're doing, you'll end up with a more significant injury. I've battled them all my life, but have had a lot of success using a combination of KT tape, shin compression sleeves, minimalist running shoes, and a less-intense training schedule.
  • AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Oh.. and ICE ICE ICE ICE ICE. I live on ice-packs after long runs. Also, don't use ibuprofen for pain - use Tylenol. Ibuprofen can interfere with blood flow to any injuries, delaying healing time.
  • lexusgirl1
    Options
    Make sure to take a day off after your run, you need recovery time.