Grocery List

Options
I have just started this food journal and really watching what I eat. I need to go to the grocery store so that I have a
good variety of foods and "snacks" on hand to keep my on track. I am an impulse eater, so if I have the good stuff, then this will help. I also would like healthy "junk food." :o) I have been looking at the recipes and there is a lot of variety to choose from. I just need the staples... Thanks!!!

Replies

• hjmygatt
    Options
    Cottage cheese
    Laughing Cow light cheese wedges and Wassa crackers
    hard boiled eggs
    apples
    fruit / veggies
    sugar free jello pudding (60 cals!)
    are among my favorites snacks!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    My favorite snack food that I can eat tons of without eating too many calories is baby carrots and hummus. I get the roasted red pepper hummus. Start with a small tub if you are unsure of which flavors you might like. If I'm still feeling hungry after dinner, I fill up on that. I can stuff myself for 200 calories, whereas that would only equal a handful of nonfilling unhealthy potato chips, you know?
  • hehubbard83
    Options
    For snacks, I really like Rice Krispies multi-grain cereal (the JUMBO). I eat them without milk and 1 cup is only 90 calories! I also like fat-free pretzles and I dip them in yogurt, that's a bit higher on the calorie side, but it's a yummy snack! Also, some grocery stores sell pre-cooked chicken breasts and all you have to do is heat them up! They are only 100 calories and I usually pair it with rice and a veggie!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Cottage cheese
    Laughing Cow light cheese wedges and Wassa crackers
    hard boiled eggs
    apples
    fruit / veggies
    sugar free jello pudding (60 cals!)
    are among my favorites snacks!

I LOVE cottage cheese, but it's very high in sodium. If you have high blood pressure, eat cottage cheese minimally. Also be sure to drink your daily water to help negate that sodium.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    -Apple Sauce: When I bake I replace half of the oil with applesauce to make it healthier
    -Hummus: You can dip anything into hummus and because it has natural fats it helps when I crave fatty foods.
    -Baby Spinach: Great for a salad base. Has more iron and calcium than just lettace
    -Cherub Tomatos: Great for a sweet tooth craving.

This is a start at least.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    My favorite snack food that I can eat tons of without eating too many calories is baby carrots and hummus. I get the roasted red pepper hummus. Start with a small tub if you are unsure of which flavors you might like. If I'm still feeling hungry after dinner, I fill up on that. I can stuff myself for 200 calories, whereas that would only equal a handful of nonfilling unhealthy potato chips, you know?

Should have mentioned, I love most veggies dipped in hummus...... mushrooms and bell peppers too, which are way low in calories. Carrots are high in natural sugars???
  • Elfie1
    Elfie1 Posts: 30
    Options
    Just what the heck is Hummus anyway, and what does it taste like? Never tried it....
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Just what the heck is Hummus anyway, and what does it taste like? Never tried it....

Hummus is one of the more popular Middle Eastern dips. Served with fresh or toasted pita bread, hummus makes for a great snack or appetizer. Tahini is an important part of the hummus recipe and cannot be substituted. However, it can be omitted. It is mostly made from mushed chick peas.

Hummus, the Arabic word for "chickpeas," is a smooth paste that's a popular food item in many Middle Eastern countries. It's also a nutritional powerhouse, packing vitamins, iron, dietary fiber, monounsaturated fats, and amino acids.

I don't find hummus itself to have much of a flavor but mixed with other flavors it is rich and creamy.
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cottage cheese, but it's very high in sodium. If you have high blood pressure, eat cottage cheese minimally. Also be sure to drink your daily water to help negate that sodium.

Yup! I just noticed that last night. My daily sodium is never over what this site gives as a max, so i have a 1/2 cup at lunch a few days a week and really really up my water (which is never a problem). I went to decide between popcorn and cottage cheese and ended chosing popcorn as a half bag had 1/2 the sodium then 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, and the popcorn had the crunch factor i was dying for. I have cut down on my popcorn though as i don't think its encouraging any weight loss lol.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I actually just went to the grocery so this is perfect....I always start in the fresh foods, hit the middle a little, and then end in the frozen.

squash, bell pepper, potatoes, onion, lettuce, bananas, grapes, baby portobello mushrooms, baby carrots
    deli- roast beef and provolone cheese
    ground beef
    cous cous
    light chips
    milk
    cage free eggs
    uncured bacon
    Luna bars
    coffee
    natural popcorn mini bags
    Kashi cereal
    Amy's frozen dinner
    Kashi frozen pizza
    Alexia frozen whole wheat rolls

-some things that I always have are frozen veggies, frozen chicken breast, light mayo, laughing cow, land o lakes whipped butter, oatmeal, peanut butter, low carb tortillas, OJ.
  • mama22girlz
    Options
    if you do need a more of a chip or cookie snack the 100 calorie pack snacks are good. But you have to have the will power to only eat one ;) I like the smart food ones and if I need some chocolate the cookie ones are good too.
  • Elfie1
    Elfie1 Posts: 30
    Options
    Thanks for the Hummus update....I think I will try it!
    :happy:
  • tishaberry
    Options
    i find that if i immediately cut up and bag my fresh veggies and fruit when i get home from the grocery store i am more likely to choose those things to eat
  • nlc1224
    Options
    I have never had Hummus before. Kinda scared of it like I am scared of Tofu...What is it like :O)

Nevermind~ I just saw your earlier post!!

Thanks everyone!!! This helps A LOT. It gives me a good starting point rather than winging it. This isn't my first rodeo, however, this time I want to do it right!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    I have never had Hummus before. Kinda scared of it like I am scared of Tofu...What is it like :O)

I was scared of it too. Try a small tub. If you don't like it, no harm done. =)
    For me, it's like a creamy veggie dip. I adore it.

Lots of people rave about Greek yogurt. I tried it and didn't like it. Still glad to have had it!!

I am scared to cook tofu at home but had it out at a Thai joint. LOVED IT. It absorbs whatever you cook it with, so it tasted like the sauce on my thai food. Texture is like nothing you can compare it to but maybe it's between a piece of chicken and a mushroom? =)

BE DARING! Try it all!!!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    i find that if i immediately cut up and bag my fresh veggies and fruit when i get home from the grocery store i am more likely to choose those things to eat

Great advice *thumbs up!*
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup Pineapple juice, 1/2 cup frozen strawberries and 1/2 banana = a delicious fruit smoothie. Good to get you going in the AM. (110 calories)

Whole Grain Vegetable Thins and light marble cheddar make a good late-night snack.

Whole grain wraps, light ranch, bagged greens mix and chicken (I buy pre-breaded chicken strips, you only need 1/ wrap) = a delicious wrap.

:)
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    1/4 cup Pineapple juice, 1/2 cup frozen strawberries and 1/2 banana = a delicious fruit smoothie. Good to get you going in the AM. (110 calories)

YUM!
  • StephanieJ82
    Options
    I just started eating hummus (50cal per 2 tbsp) and sesame rice crackers (120cal per 15 crackers) with it. But I see someone wrote that they dip carrots in their hummus. What a great idea!
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    I actually just went to the grocery so this is perfect....I always start in the fresh foods, hit the middle a little, and then end in the frozen.

uncured bacon

Where do you find uncured bacon?????

And to add to the list I like Jello Mousse temptations too. They are only 60 calories each and sugar free. I also like mission carb balance tortillas with 1 laughing cow garlic and herb cheese wedge and some roasted red bell peppers.. Wrap it up and heat it in the microwave for 15-30 seconds and enjoy!!!! Yummy!
    I eat a lot of chicken breasts and fresh veggies. I just bought some rice crackers from costco and had laughing cow cheese on those as a snack... pretty good..