If diet soda causes weight gain and is diuretic...

Options
wellbert
wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
I drink about a gallon of diet soda a day.
I'm currently bored with water, so this is the only thing I drink. Except for the occasional glass of whole milk.

1 gallon of fluid weighs roughly 8.3lbs, but let's call it 8lbs for ease.

Since so many people here say soda is diuretic, and you need to drink more water than you drink in soda to replace it, then I clearly must be eliminating more than 1 gallon of water per day.
8lbs for the soda itself, plus, let's say, 2lbs of fluid from the diuretic effect.

I've been drinking soda like this for a long time. But I only stopped drinking water about 3 weeks ago.

2(3*7)= 42lbs or about 5 gallons of fluid loss in 3 weeks. Roughly 18% of my bodymass in water.

However, i weigh more or less the same than I did before.

How?

So I scoured the boards and found out "Diet soda makes you fat/causes weight gain/causes belly" So, obviously this is the only reasonable explanation. I gained roughly 42lbs of fat to replace the 42lbs of fluid lost through the diuretic effect of soda. And that's 42lbs of dehydrated fat, since I lost 18% of my bodymass in water.

There we go. Both proof that soda is a diuretic and that it causes fat gain.

Replies

• samlankford
    Options
    diet soda still causes a spike in insulin (sp?) I drink it ever once in a blue moon but don't make a habit of it...
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    this is another thing that is totally dependent on the person involved. I personally cut out diet soda and it didn't work for me. Others have cut it out and lost weight instantly.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    diet soda still causes a spike in insulin (sp?) I drink it ever once in a blue moon but don't make a habit of it...

To my knowledge (and I could be wrong on this), the evidence of non nutritive sweeteners on gut hormones is not yet conclusive. I don't think you can conclude that diet soda spikes insulin or causes hunger.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20303371
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21255472
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22252107
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1881987 (<--- although this examines short term satiety which isn't likely to be as relevant)
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I drink about a gallon of diet soda a day.
    I'm currently bored with water, so this is the only thing I drink. Except for the occasional glass of whole milk.

1 gallon of fluid weighs roughly 8.3lbs, but let's call it 8lbs for ease.

Since so many people here say soda is diuretic, and you need to drink more water than you drink in soda to replace it, then I clearly must be eliminating more than 1 gallon of water per day.
    8lbs for the soda itself, plus, let's say, 2lbs of fluid from the diuretic effect.

I've been drinking soda like this for a long time. But I only stopped drinking water about 3 weeks ago.

2(3*7)= 42lbs or about 5 gallons of fluid loss in 3 weeks. Roughly 18% of my bodymass in water.

However, i weigh more or less the same than I did before.

How?

So I scoured the boards and found out "Diet soda makes you fat/causes weight gain/causes belly" So, obviously this is the only reasonable explanation. I gained roughly 42lbs of fat to replace the 42lbs of fluid lost through the diuretic effect of soda. And that's 42lbs of dehydrated fat, since I lost 18% of my bodymass in water.

There we go. Both proof that soda is a diuretic and that it causes fat gain.

There is no scientific evidence to back this up. Quite the opposite really. http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/diet-sodas-and-weight-gain-not-so-fast
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

No it doesn't.

Can show you loads of proof that it doesn't...

...including me who drinks several gallons of it a month and end up looking ripped as hell!

15809555_8206.jpg
  • Rachlmale
    Options

No it doesn't.

...including me who drinks several gallons of it a month and end up looking ripped as hell!

15809555_8206.jpg

*glugs her Dr Pepper Zero*
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

No it doesn't.

15809555_8206.jpg

:bigsmile:
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

No it doesn't.

15809555_8206.jpg

Do it. EVEN if it did release insulin, you'll only GAIN fat if you are consuming more calories than your body requires.

Simple maths lesson here. Your body needs say 2000 calories a day, you consume/burn off to net 1600 calories a day and drink zero calorie drink. How the smeg does the body add fat when you are in 400 calorie deficit? Insulin is the storage hormone yes, but when net cals are lower than the body requires - what exactly will it store?
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

Lol. Awesome.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Have you been to the doctor recently? Artificial sweeteners are supposedly bad on your body. Maybe maybe not. Anorexic people lose weight and get skinny and sexy, but whats really going on inside you body should concern you more then the appearance.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    Have you been to the doctor recently? Artificial sweeteners are supposedly bad on your body. Maybe maybe not. Anorexic people lose weight and get skinny and sexy, but whats really going on inside you body should concern you more then the appearance.

Based on? Studies please.

Sweetners are largely based on protein, which you usually find in chicken breast. Heck in chicken breast it has 25x more of the supposedly cancer giving substances as a glass of diet coke - watch that chicken breast fella!
  • Stingroo
    Stingroo Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Sweetners are largely based on protein, which you usually find in chicken breast. Heck in chicken breast it has 25x more of the supposedly cancer giving substances as a glass of diet coke - watch that chicken breast fella!

Whoa whoa. Careful. Last time I brought logic into a MFP forum discussion I got ripped on.

Maybe not as ripped as you - but hey, someday. lol
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

^ This is correct.

Aspartame is composed of phenylalanine and aspartic acid (amino acids) with methanol as a digestive byproduct. If you don't have the rare disorder called PKU, you really don't have to fear it, and the dosage limits you'd need to reach for problems to arise, are quite ridiulous.
  • Rachlmale
    Options

No it doesn't.

Do it. EVEN if it did release insulin, you'll only GAIN fat if you are consuming more calories than your body requires.

Simple maths lesson here. Your body needs say 2000 calories a day, you consume/burn off to net 1600 calories a day and drink zero calorie drink. How the smeg does the body add fat when you are in 400 calorie deficit? Insulin is the storage hormone yes, but when net cals are lower than the body requires - what exactly will it store?

I do do it, and I'm pretty sure I always will. If people don't want artificial stuff in their diet then I understand why they would cut it out; for weight loss purposes however it makes no difference.

The one time I did cut out fizzy drinks completely I had my smallest loss in the timeframe and craved MORE sweet things. I'm not losing less weight AND craving sugar when I could just have a glass of diet soda instead.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

No it doesn't.

15809555_8206.jpg

and although I could only hope to be as ripped as you, I will stand beside you while I drink my 3 - 24oz bottles of diet pepsi a day after still losing 311 lbs. and lowering my A1c's (I am a Type 2 Diabetic) from 10.1 to my current A1c's of 5.3....... So just am not buying into the myth's......
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    So my question is- was this post created to "inform" us all about diet soda or are you looking for an answer to something? Because you can't sit there and honestly say that you thought this post wouldn't cause debate. I think it's quite clear that self-based "facts" aren't well received around here... :huh:
  • Monti_e_lmt
    Monti_e_lmt Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    ^ Love your Vibrams :D I have black and red ones but they are not water proof lol.