hungry all the time

Options

Replies

• Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I'm not nosying too much but just thought I'd tell you - I eat mini twister lollies all the time and they're only 45 cals - the ones you are using are 90? LOL you could be saving yourself another twister lolly here!!

ha yeh its cos i had down i had 2 but i didn't its cos last time i had some i had 2 so its saved from before thanks for noticing i have changed it. there good to have as something sweet with low calories.

The proper sized Twisters look HUGE now... mini Twisters all the way. 45 cal ice cream and sweet fix :)
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    You haven't even been close to averaging 1300 calories in at least the 2 weeks that I looked.. In the past 12 days (I did not count the 5 that you didn't even list anything) you have averaged just over 1000 calories. So to say you are gaining weight on 1300 calories is not accurate.

Your profile contains no information so doing any other calculations are impossible. Based on what I did see it's likely you are starving and your body is holding on to every little calorie it can get. Have you calculated BMR even? It's easy to lose weight when you aren't eating enough but it will not stay off - as you have noticed. Time to get serious, log everything, stop skipping days and do some research into a sustainable calorie plan for your age, weight, height and gender.

Read the stickies and find dans 'roadmap' - start there.
  • MoniMoni2u
    MoniMoni2u Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm always starving after I start my day with a pop tart or sugar-y cereal (chocolate cornflakes.) Try more whole grains and protein. You are having some serious swings with blood sugar based on your food diary. It will be difficult to not be hungry when eating a diet high in simple carbs.
  • SilviCor
    SilviCor Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you need another goal. From your message, it seems that your first goal was to lose weight for your wedding. Now that it's over, you need to find another goal for motivation. How about an upcoming family get together, a pair of skinny jeans in a size smaller, or a girls night out? Perhaps that's the motivation you need to keep going. You can do it!
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Same thing for me. I gain weight eating 1200 cals if I don't exercise everyday on top of it.

When the hunger threatens to take away my control, I take green maté (tea). Back in the days, it was used during famine to help people forget they were hungry. If I take it at 10 am, I'm noticeably less hungry for lunch and eat a moderate diner. Note that I don't take some everyday.

Aside from that, it contains a lot of minerals and is known for its relaxing effect.

I buy it at David's tea, for those of you who are Canadians.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry all the time, I am going to recommend this short "read" to you....it is likely WHAT you are eating not how many calories you are consuming that is causing you to be hungry all the time.

http://www.veghealth.com/supercharge/Fit_Forever_Ebook.pdf
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    You are doing what I did yesterday. You are eating a LOT of calories that are way too easily digested and NOT ENOUGH calories that take longer to break down.

You need protein and some healthy fat girl! Stop eating all that processed junk and make yourself a piece of grilled chicken. Or if you don't have access to a kitchen/grill, at least eat some tuna or canned chicken. Snack on beef jerky or nuts instead of cookies.

Yesterday I got hypoglycemic and nearly ate my own shoe. NOT good. Today I made sure to have a heavier breakfast.
  • drewbird911
    drewbird911 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Eat more and exercise it off. You will be fuller and the added exercise will help with general weight loss.
  • Falling_star
    Falling_star Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I just had a look at your diary, and it doesn't look like your are eating that great. Yes, your under your calorie goal, but a lot of the things you're eating are empty calories (Chocolate bar, chocolate chip cookies, etc) You want to eat foods that will leave your full and statisfied. Like:

*Almonds
    *Veggies
    *Yogurt
    *Granola
    *Fruit
    *Whole Wheat
    *Fish
    *Poultry

Also, I don't know if it's because you didn't log it, but I noticed you skip a meals as well. Are you just not logging them, or are your really skipping meals? Because that could result in your weight fluctuation as well. Skipping meals will leave your feeling tired and hungry, and will mostly likely result in you snacking later on in the day.

I hope this helps! Good luck :)

its just as i haven't been logging :)-
  • nklunk
    nklunk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Looks like you really need some more fuits and veggies. One of my fav is apple with peanut butter (fiber and protien). I also like raw carrots...didn't at first but love them now. Good luck !!
  • wswing
    wswing Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You are hungry all the time because of all the sugar in your diet. Try to slowly cut out the sugar snacks and replace them with healthier snacks. If you need sugar have an apple. Eating large amounts of sugar and refined carbs causes blood sugar spikes releasing insulin into the bloodstream. Insulin will store unused energy as fat as well as leave you wanting more sugar.
  • Falling_star
    Falling_star Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    just to clarify i have not been skipping meals and have not logged on some days because i have not been managing my calories on day i have half logged its because i tried my hardiest then failed so stopped logging so the past month of diary entries have not really been logged :)
    thanks everyone for taking the time to read my post
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    I'm looking at yesterday's food diary. Early in the day you ate too many carbs and not enough protein. You need to force yourself to eat some protein/fat early in the day to curb hunger by preventing insulin spikes. I did the same thing yesterday!
  • msmarieann
    Options
    ok so i successfully lost weight on 1200 calories a day and i did tht for 9 months on tht amount of calories now i'm on just over 1300 and i am really struggling i am hungry all the time i have put a 6 pounds back on after my wedding and want to lose this and get back in to losing weight i struggle to motivate myself to do exercise as well can any one suggest anything to help? thanks

Falling_Star - I think you should be proud for what you've accomplished so far. Smart of you to reach out to find your edge, a lot of people would just give up when faced with the same challenge!

Looking at your diary, it looks like you could tweak your breakfast to be more sustaining. Long story on how I know this, it's a part of a former life of mine, I assure you. But, trust me when I tell you you need to introduce a bit more variety to your diet. Breakfast is key, but we overlook it constantly. I cannot stress enough the importance of a solid breakfast to help you feeling in control of your cravings and appetite. :)

In the morning you're eating:

Tetley Tea - Tea With Semi Skimmed Milk, 1 mug
    Kellogg's - Chocolate Cornflakes, 30 g
    Generic - Skin Milk 1/2 Cup, 1/2 cup

You have very little protein and variety here. Why not try:

1 Banana
    1/2 cup of plain greek yogurt + honey

Gaining control of your diet isn't about restricting. When you restrict you make your body start craving all manner of weird things. Cravings are essentially the equivalent of "hunger emotions". If your body is dehydrated it might crave a burger or sweets because it doesn't care how it gets that water it just will tell you anything that would motivate you to consume it so it gets it. Same with nutrients.

So I have a motto: If I'm not hungry enough for veggies, then I'm not really hungry at all.

Also, here's a very helpful tip for breakfasts:

ALWAYS eat something sweet in the morning.

Recently a study was conducted where a test group consumed one piece of chocolate cake vs. another group who did not. Over a period of time, both groups lost weight, however, it was the group that continued to eat the chocolate cake in the morning that kept it off while the group on the carb restricted diet packed it back on.

So in my example, I gave you greek yoghurt with honey. Greek yoghurt is packed with protein, calcium and good for you bacterias. The honey could be switched out for agave nectar if you're really concerned about G.I. - The point is the reason the sweet works is that as the day goes on your body craves less sweets.

Also, aim to get about 300 calories in your brekkie. You can also have a modified version of beans and egg on toast. Actually that's a perfect breakfast for me... I recently switched out my beans for avocado.

I could go on, but I say you should consider starting with your breakfast. Experiment and play around. Your goal is to have:

A little sweet
    more protein
    fibre
    calcium
    a little good fats
    and something that makes your mouth and belly feel full.

Finally, eat no later than 1 hour after you wake up.

Try that and let me know how you feel throughout the day and if it puts you more in control of your cravings.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    ok so i successfully lost weight on 1200 calories a day and i did tht for 9 months on tht amount of calories now i'm on just over 1300 and i am really struggling i am hungry all the time i have put a 6 pounds back on after my wedding and want to lose this and get back in to losing weight i struggle to motivate myself to do exercise as well can any one suggest anything to help? thanks

Falling_Star - I think you should be proud for what you've accomplished so far. Smart of you to reach out to find your edge, a lot of people would just give up when faced with the same challenge!

Looking at your diary, it looks like you could tweak your breakfast to be more sustaining. Long story on how I know this, it's a part of a former life of mine, I assure you. But, trust me when I tell you you need to introduce a bit more variety to your diet. Breakfast is key, but we overlook it constantly. I cannot stress enough the importance of a solid breakfast to help you feeling in control of your cravings and appetite. :)

In the morning you're eating:

You have very little protein and variety here. Why not try:

1 Banana
    1/2 cup of plain greek yogurt + honey

Gaining control of your diet isn't about restricting. When you restrict you make your body start craving all manner of weird things. Cravings are essentially the equivalent of "hunger emotions". If your body is dehydrated it might crave a burger or sweets because it doesn't care how it gets that water it just will tell you anything that would motivate you to consume it so it gets it. Same with nutrients.

So I have a motto: If I'm not hungry enough for veggies, then I'm not really hungry at all.

Also, here's a very helpful tip for breakfasts:

ALWAYS eat something sweet in the morning.

Recently a study was conducted where a test group consumed one piece of chocolate cake vs. another group who did not. Over a period of time, both groups lost weight, however, it was the group that continued to eat the chocolate cake in the morning that kept it off while the group on the carb restricted diet packed it back on.

So in my example, I gave you greek yoghurt with honey. Greek yoghurt is packed with protein, calcium and good for you bacterias. The honey could be switched out for agave nectar if you're really concerned about G.I. - The point is the reason the sweet works is that as the day goes on your body craves less sweets.

Also, aim to get about 300 calories in your brekkie. You can also have a modified version of beans and egg on toast. Actually that's a perfect breakfast for me... I recently switched out my beans for avocado.

I could go on, but I say you should consider starting with your breakfast. Experiment and play around. Your goal is to have:

A little sweet
    more protein
    fibre
    calcium
    a little good fats
    and something that makes your mouth and belly feel full.

Finally, eat no later than 1 hour after you wake up.

Try that and let me know how you feel throughout the day and if it puts you more in control of your cravings.

Brilliant post!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You haven't even been close to averaging 1300 calories in at least the 2 weeks that I looked.. In the past 12 days (I did not count the 5 that you didn't even list anything) you have averaged just over 1000 calories. So to say you are gaining weight on 1300 calories is not accurate.

Your profile contains no information so doing any other calculations are impossible. Based on what I did see it's likely you are starving and your body is holding on to every little calorie it can get. Have you calculated BMR even? It's easy to lose weight when you aren't eating enough but it will not stay off - as you have noticed. Time to get serious, log everything, stop skipping days and do some research into a sustainable calorie plan for your age, weight, height and gender.

Read the stickies and find dans 'roadmap' - start there.

This.

I would also like to add.... it looks like you are only about 12 pounds to your goal weight. Things change. You should set your goal to lose half a pound a week and expect the weight to come off slower than it did before. You need to gradually start working your way up to what maintenance is going to be. Depending on your height, age, etc, that might be significantly more than 1200, and you may need to make some adjustments and perhaps have a period of time where you are not losing as you adjust.
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    there are a lot of empty calories. if i were you i'd change brekkie to something more low gi and less sugar to help you feel more full. also eating fruit instead of crisps etc
  • hellohappylisa
    hellohappylisa Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Stuff yourself full of carrots? hahaha
  • LisaY76
    LisaY76 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Try drinking a chocolate flavored protein shake when you are craving sweets. This would be in addition to eating a meal of course. The protein in the shake will keep you feeling full until your next meal. That is I've been doing and it has helps me immensely especially during that time of the month when I crave sweets more. I drink the Slimfast shakes as they are ready to drink and taste pretty good. If you compare the nutrition of Slimfast to a protein powder shake, they are very similar and cost a lot less. But, there are many choices out there. I would suggest finding one that you like and is within your budget. Good luck!