Do you exercise during your period?

Options

Replies

• Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Yup! Cuz when i get it i want to eat eat eat so I exercise even more
    This exactly. I eat approx 400 cal more a day when I am at my TOM. So I burn up the workouts. I am not prone to cramps but, I do get insanely moody. Sweating seem to leech the B itch right out of me.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I rarely got cramps- just horrible fatigue- like where I can barely lift my limbs to get out of bed some days. The most I would exercise is a short bike ride if I had the energy.

(had my uterus removed and found out I was very anemic- which explains the extreme fatigue)
  • Bean615
    Bean615 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i make sure i workout extra hard when i have mine bc it makes me feel better mentally and physically and i it definately relieves my cramps!
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. Usually I work out during my period but sometimes, usualy the first or second day, I feel so run down and sick that I'll give myself the day off. I don't want to hate working out and I already schedule 2 off days into my week so I just switch up the "off" day with the day I need a break.

My cramps do tend to feel better afterwards, so I don't let those stop me. It's usually just when I feel so rotten that I can't get my head into the game mentally and I know I won't have a good workout anyway.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Yes. It actually helps.
  • Fit_Vixen
    Fit_Vixen Posts: 201
    Options
    Yes I do. It helps with the cramps. I ignore the lower back pain, lol.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    At the risk of sounding like a Tampax commercial... I did Warrior Dash during my period.

If I could scale walls, crawl through mud, run through a forest, and leap fire, you can exercise.
  • alicia0416
    alicia0416 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I workout during my tom.... It seems to ease the cramps.. and Keeps me from eating too much lol.. I used to cramp HORRIBLE but ever since I have been working out NADA!!!!! Its nice......
  • jlbeals
    jlbeals Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I do my workout 6 days/week no matter what. Always.

If I let myself lapse for anything, then it gets easier to make an excuse next time and before I know it, I've fallen off the exercise wagon. I have fairly horrendous cycles, and working out absolutely does NOT make me feel better. I feel absolutely miserable pretty much during the entire workout the first three days I'm on my period, and I probably don't get much out of it anyway because it's hard to put in my usual effort, but even going through the motions keeps me from letting myself fall out of the habit. I just have to uncurl myself from the heating pad and half-heartedly get my butt in gear to get it over with so I can curl back up with the heating pad again afterwards. :) Gotta push through it - it's definitely worth it.

I've never regretted doing a workout, but I've often later regretted a workout a didn't do.
  • hellohappylisa
    hellohappylisa Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Swimming is really good for cramps, or you could just take a bath haha. I don't get cramps while on the pill so I don't have to worry about that anymore (thank god!!).

However, I'm usually a bit grumpy and lazy so I don't exercise as much.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    The first day or two.....HELL NO! But once I've taken enough meds, I can muster thru the rest of the week. It's not fair either way you look at it.
  • erinbolton
    erinbolton Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I keep pushing through the cramping and bloating.... I have found that the more frequently I do it the easier it gets. I have little cramping and little bloating. Don't know the correlation but it seems to be working.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I do
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I must be quite lucky, because I don't experience bad cramping or bloating during my TOM. I keep exercising through it, the only thing I won't do is go swimming, because I'm afraid of leaking.
  • GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I've heard exercise actually helps during that time... but I am a wimp and take the first and second heavy day off if I can. I am paranoid that someone will be able to tell.. :P
  • Toxictwist
    Options
    most times yes. Helps with the cramps :)
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Exercise helps relieve cramps.

I just do lighter exercise than usual. Like 2.5-3 mph walking. Pilates or yoga, stretching.

Or atleast try to stand a lot and less sitting. Even if I don't work out.
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I don't. My cramps are so bad that I do very little other than lay in bed with a heating pad and a cup of hot tea. I do, however, exercise on the last day of my period when my cramps aren't so bad.
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Work out through aunt flow. Dont let her win. Best advice is to take an advil and do something a little different on those days, like lap swim, yoga.. but still always work out. If you need a rest day, thats fine, but dont take a whole week off. Up your iron as well, seeing as though your "losing blood". I have low iron levels and always need to eat a big steak that week to keep things in check.
  • Iron_Maiden
    Iron_Maiden Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Exercise can actually help the cramping! Fight through it and see if it helps. :wink: