Do you want to learn additional languages?

Options
Colonel_Brandon
Colonel_Brandon Posts: 256 Member
There are people that want to learn languages and find them fascinating, and there are those that have absolutely no interest. Count me in the former category, even though I only speak fluent English right now (and that is debatable).

But these languages are at the top of my list:

German
Spanish
French
Korean

And I'd also be curious to know if anyone has wanted to study Esperanto...cuz it looks fascinating to me.

Replies

• diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I speak broken Spanish, and understand some French. Most knowledge was acquired through High School and University electives.

I really want to become fluent in French (excellent addition to the resume here in Canada.)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Chinese (Cantonese and Mandarin)
    Spanish
    Brush up on my French

In that order. :)
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I want to learn Polish!
  • SuzieZimm
    SuzieZimm Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm currently working on fluency in French and Arabic, but after that...

Spanish
    Russian
    Farsi
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    hell yes! a new language= a whole new world of perspective :D:D
  • bellydancer124
    Options
    I only speak English, but I'm currently teaching myself sign language through online tutorials lol (for no reason at all...I just felt like it!). I want to take an actual ASL course sometime though.

I grew up in a predominantly spanish speaking city, so I know all the bad words in spanish. :tongue:
  • GamerGurl729
    GamerGurl729 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I would love to learn Japanese. Honestly though, being fluent in any other language would be awesome.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I think it would be cool to learn Manderin, German, and strengthen what little bit of Italian I have.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I'm actually currently taking French lessons.

I want to learn Japanese, but I don't know if that will ever happen.
  • lauramacaroni
    lauramacaroni Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I grew up with Spanish & English, but now I speak French as well.
    Since I travel internationally for work quite a bit, knowing these languages has been spectacular!
  • ImprovingEla
    ImprovingEla Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Due to circumstances in my life I already speak 3 languages quite well (means I can handle everydays life and make my way without too much bumpers on the road!)

German, English and Dutch (also found in my diary, which sometimes I think confuses people who want to look into my eating habbits *lol*)

I also took classes in Latin, French and Spanish, but I found, that when I can not use them activly, than I can simply not bring myselfe to learn them, cause they not make sense to me!
  • uncarvedblock
    uncarvedblock Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have all the 'self teach' books and CDs to learn Japanese, but I've been putting it off for ages - New Year goal methinks. Other than that I'd like to brush up on my German and French (I remember a ridiculously small amount of what was taught in school) and take on Spanish and Swedish.
  • Maris82
    Maris82 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes. French and Italian are at the top of mine. When I make my month long trip overseas debut, I don't want to be just another annoying American.
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Nah not really..
  • Carnivorekat
    Carnivorekat Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I have started learning languages with the Open University - I did Spanish last year so have basic spanish skills now, and am about to start to learn French this year - I love languages and would love to be able to be fluent in a few different languages
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Spanish
    Hebrew
    Hindi

I'm like to know a smattering of other languages, but those three are the one I'd like to know fluently. I don't have a great aptitude for foreign languages though.
  • lyricalLies13
    Options
    I keep trying to get my boyfriend to teach me hmong but so far I only know a few words.
    It would also be nice to learn korean =]
  • drkuhl2017
    drkuhl2017 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm in process of learning Urdu (very slowly, learning) because my fiancee's family doesn't speak English. Only my fiancee and his brother speak English, so I'm trying to do my part so I can at least speak with his family and he doesn't need to translate 100% of our conversation.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I'm in process of learning Urdu (very slowly, learning) because my fiancee's family doesn't speak English. Only my fiancee and his brother speak English, so I'm trying to do my part so I can at least speak with his family and he doesn't need to translate 100% of our conversation.

An excellent reason to learn!
  • jayaprathappsg
    jayaprathappsg Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I would love to learn
    French
    Spanish

If you have young kids, encourage them to learn more than 2 languages(speak and read), it is proven in studies kids with multi lingual skills are quick learners