News anchor called 'fat' and responds with class :)

Options
Hey all,

As you guys probably heard, a news anchor got attacked on air and got called fat and blablabla! just came across this video and thought you guys would like to see it! It's her response to the verbal abuse...Very inspiring :smile:

http://www.upworthy.com/bully-calls-news-anchor-fat-news-anchor-destroys-him-on-live-tv

Replies

• nadiamode
    Options
    i saw that! what an awesome response.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

As you guys probably heard, a news anchor got attacked on air and got called fat and blablabla! just came across this video and thought you guys would like to see it! It's her response to the verbal abuse...Very inspiring :smile:

http://www.upworthy.com/bully-calls-news-anchor-fat-news-anchor-destroys-him-on-live-tv

Verbal abuse?
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    She's from my state so it was all over our local news last night. She's awesome! :) I wanted to jump through the TV and give her a hug!
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I may catch some heat for saying this....But I am really getting tired of the word "Bully" It's used WAY too often...

His email IMHO was not bullying. He stated his opinion respectfully. Although I do not agree with what he said....but it was not bullying.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Here's #4 on the exact same topic today!!!

Come on #5!!!

I will respond to all this fat news anchor stuff by quoting Dr. Cox:

"I'm gonna go ahead and tell you how it ends: Dr. Phil says, 'And how... is that working out... for you?' And the big fat lady cries, 'Wah.' All right..."
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

Verbal abuse?

I know right?
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I saw that and it was pretty cool. Almost as cool as that DX pose you got goin on...BREAKKK IT DOWWNNNNN
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    You could have just posted a link to any of the other 4-5 threads on this same thing today
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

Since when is someone sending a private email to a public figure considered being attacked "on air"? A man voiced his personal opinion to a public figure in a private email. The news stations posted the letter to their social media page, thus making it a public matter. A simple reply of "Hello Sir. You do not know me, nor do you know anything about my medical situation or history. Thank you for your concern. Have a nice day." BAM!! Done. But now, she has being obese in the same category as having a disability and acne. IMHO, her and her news station are as big a bullies if not bigger than the guy who sent the email. It's like, "Hey EVERYONE!! Some guy sent me a private email, stated his personal opinions and instead of handling it in a private way, I'm going to jump on my soap box and call him a bully...everybody rally around me and call him a bully too!!! He's mean and we're going to take a private matter and make it public!"
  • alie001
    alie001 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I agree with EyeLikeTacos. I don't think it was "bullying", although I do think it was in poor taste and could possibly have been said a little differently.
    My husband is in a somewhat public job and his apperance is scrutinized quite often. It is part of the job, and we know it. Yes she was a "big" girl, but was she unkempt, no.
    I thought she responded with grace but the gentleman was stating his opinion. She broadcast it, the email was not on the news before she and her husband put it there. So really, who is the real victim here. The one who sent a private email (right or wrong) or the one who braodcast it on the local news?
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    She is an amazing woman, thanks for posting ;-)
  • wattsj56
    Options
    i love her, she's AWESOME.
  • amylovescupcakes
    amylovescupcakes Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I think it was very rude. Like she said, do you think she doesn't know that? I think that was a very classy way to address the issue, and apparently the news channel would go ahead and fire her if they thought that she was doing a poor job representing their station. Eff that guy.
  • BioShocked89
    BioShocked89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    That was pretty awesome.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

Since when is someone sending a private email to a public figure considered being attacked "on air"? A man voiced his personal opinion to a public figure in a private email. The news stations posted the letter to their social media page, thus making it a public matter. A simple reply of "Hello Sir. You do not know me, nor do you know anything about my medical situation or history. Thank you for your concern. Have a nice day." BAM!! Done. But now, she has being obese in the same category as having a disability and acne. IMHO, her and her news station are as big a bullies if not bigger than the guy who sent the email. It's like, "Hey EVERYONE!! Some guy sent me a private email, stated his personal opinions and instead of handling it in a private way, I'm going to jump on my soap box and call him a bully...everybody rally around me and call him a bully too!!! He's mean and we're going to take a private matter and make it public!"

^^This. Anyone who uses an opportunity like that to go "poor me" on TV doesn't deserve those hugs everyone wants to give her. Handle it privately and have some class.
  • ElleBee615
    Options
    That was awesome!!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I may catch some heat for saying this....But I am really getting tired of the word "Bully" It's used WAY too often...

His email IMHO was not bullying. He stated his opinion respectfully. Although I do not agree with what he said....but it was not bullying.

Right! For it to actually be bullying, there needs to be force or coercion involved. Saying mean things is not bullying.
  • superdrood
    superdrood Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

Verbal abuse?

Yeah not seeing it either. The guy's email was certainly lacking tact but it was also addressing the legitimate concern of the obesity problem the U.S. is faced with today and the role of public figures, her in particular.

Is she involved with health and nutrition on that show? If so I see nothing wrong with it and i applaud him for pointing out the disconnect to her in a private manner. If not than it was certainly not appropriate to be addressing her on her own health issues with out being asked by her.

Either way didn't really seem like an attack or verbal abuse or even spiteful to me.
  • way2shy
    way2shy Posts: 20 Member
    Options

It is being a bully when you say things to someone that is hurtful and demeaning. People need to keep the hateful words to themselves and not speak their thoughts. If you can't say something nice to someone then DON'T say anything at all. We should all live by these words and there would be less bully's in the world.