Alcohol & losing weight

Options
Would it be a good idea to cut out alcohol in order to lose weight??

I know most of you would agree that it isn't necessary if you drink in moderation, but I really...REALLY...like beer :)

Replies

• krisdev67
    krisdev67 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest with you, my weight gain (most) of it happened when I began drinking regularly and eating when I drank. So, what I'm doing now is having a glass of wine etc when I have dinner, or whenever but I have a limit. I also add it into my daily calorie intake. GL
  • reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Yes It has always worked for me.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Sadly, yes.

And if you do drink you need to make sure you log the calories because it does add up!!
  • Mskckaye
    Mskckaye Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I totally agree doing it with moderation is important, but it also for me depends on the type of drink some of them have more cals. than others do..I am not a beer drinker, but I am sure that if you really like it then maybe doing it in moderation is what you need to do...I know i had to limit my consumption to just a few drinks if I am out with my friends.
  • dalgirly
    dalgirly Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm also a big beer drinker.

I haven't given up on it. I just exercise a bit more to make up for it.

For me, giving up on beer after hockey games or beer out with friends won't happen. It is one of my favourite things of my week, and I'd be pretty cranky if I gave that up completely. And its about being happy.

So now, before hockey I go for an extra jog so I can fit in my beer!

And that said, I've lost a total of nearly 40 lbs so far, and the first 30 lbs I didn't even watch what I ate or drank. Now I've lost 10 lbs just making sure if I eat and drink like crap, I go out and exercise a bit more.
  • ItsGoodToHaveGoals
    ItsGoodToHaveGoals Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain.
    I love beer, and not just beer - the dark beers that are loaded with all those calories.
    However, I found that drinking only Friday-Sunday has cut my cravings and my tollerance level drastically. I've sub'd out club soda instead. Every time I want the wine or the beer I just remember how I want the fat gone more...
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Would it be a good idea to cut out alcohol in order to lose weight??

I know most of you would agree that it isn't necessary if you drink in moderation, but I really...REALLY...like beer :)

Is it a good idea? Yes, absolutely.

Is it absolutely necessary? No. As long as you are taking the calories in the beer into account and staying under your calorie goals, and especially if you are making sure you are meeting your protein goals, you can still lose weight and have a reasonable amount of beer.
  • jojo98mu
    jojo98mu Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I drink Guinness almost every weekend. I make sure I don't eat junk when I am drinking and always get a workout in on the days I'm going to be drinking. I'm in maintenance mode and this has been working for me.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I only drink on special occasions, which means my tolerance is low. Why is that good? Because I can get buzzed/drunk on much fewer calories!!
  • scoutmom22
    Options
    Every time I want the wine or the beer I just remember how I want the fat gone more...

i hear ya! i don't think it's absolutely mandatory, and i do feel like i need a glass of something just to relax and unwind sometimes... and that's beneficial for weight loss too. but i've tended to leave my liqours behind (LOADED w calories) and opt for the red wine. i sip more and it takes 2-4x as long to get through the calories than the vodka or bourbon i used to drink.

it also spurred me on to investigate WHY i need to relax, and find other methods. a biggie that's come to the surface for me is stretching.

amj
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I remember pre-kid years being 150 lbs and never gaining a lb despite drinking up to 6 beers a day.

Try www.getdrunknotfat.com. I avoid alcohol a lot cause I'm not much of a drinker anymore but for those who absolutely MUST have it, you can look at that site and make better choices.
  • rozeltf
    rozeltf Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've not had a problem maintaining my passion for craft beer and losing weight per my goals.
  • nhunter60
    Options
    Alcohol is what is called "empty" calories. I guess it would depend on what you call modernization.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I hate how not drinking beer is making me lose weight.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Cut out altogether...blasphemy!

Cut back and allow it to fit within your macros, FTFW!
  • NickiRae04
    NickiRae04 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have not stopped the alcohol! I usually drink a few glasses a wine a week. 8 oz per day. If I do not have any in the house then oh well. I will pick some up when I go to the store next!

I do not drink beer anymore because it makes me feel bloated! I love my wine and 1 glass a day will not hurt (I've lost 13 pounds) Moderation is KEY!

Do not drink 5 beers or whatever you love a night! Just have a few during the week or with dinner and you will be fine!
  • prismblitz
    Options
    I'll just leave this here.

getdrunknotfat.com
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Beer is probably the worst thing u can drink.

I love a good IPA, but when I was losing I cut it out completely.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I drink every week too, maybe one bottle of wine a week and also few low calorie cocktails (like vodka sodas, or low cal margaritas made by me). I did it all through my weight loss too. The problem comes when you consume too much food because of the alcohol. Normally for me, I consume the alcohol instead of the food, so it works out fine. I just watch my calories.
  • fletchleg
    fletchleg Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I dont really drink often but when I do I'll have like half a litre of vodka on top of a bottle of wine and some shots (I'm quite bad for binge drinking) so it doesn't really stop me losing weight...it might slow me down that week but no more then a takeaway or a treat would.

Just try and incorporate it into your calories if you're a regular drinker and be mindful that it has a lot of sugar.