Is obesity a CHOICE?

Options

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Obesity causes Diabetes type 2, Heart Disease, High Cholesterol, and leads to an early death. It is not okay to be fat.

Funny you say that. I am currently arguing with a woman on a local news page that posted this original article. The lady said "it's ok to be fat. We should teach our kids that being fat is ok as long as they are happy with themselves."

I didn't agree and now I am public enemy number 1 on facebook. :laugh:

In all honesty, what the write said was wrong. He was a jerk for sure. But I don't agree that we should teach kids that it is ok to be fat/unhealthy. We should be teaching keeping mean things to yourself, kindness AND healthy lifestyles.
  • tenkesh
    tenkesh Posts: 81
    Options

Your example and what happened to this lady are two completely different things. The news castor can do something about her weight. It seems that we have come to a point in society where fat people believe that it is okay to be obese and take any comments toward them as hurtful or "bullying" tactics. The writer told her the truth and gave her good reasons on why she should shape up. He wasn't making fun of her. Obesity causes Diabetes type 2, Heart Disease, High Cholesterol, and leads to an early death. It is not okay to be fat.

Totally agreed. Again think of this - if she would be anorexic, and the same letter would have been sent.
    Would it be bullying then too or maybe it's a legit concern about what message the news castors is sending out to people with her body image?
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options

Your example and what happened to this lady are two completely different things. The news castor can do something about her weight. It seems that we have come to a point in society where fat people believe that it is okay to be obese and take any comments toward them as hurtful or "bullying" tactics. The writer told her the truth and gave her good reasons on why she should shape up. He wasn't making fun of her. Obesity causes Diabetes type 2, Heart Disease, High Cholesterol, and leads to an early death. It is not okay to be fat.

Totally agreed. Again think of this - if she would be anorexic, and the same letter would have been sent.
    Would it be bullying then too or maybe it's a legit concern about what message the news castors is sending out to people with her body image?
    The only thing I disagree with is that the newscaster is somehow responsible for "sending a message" with her body in the first place. We are not responsible for what other people think of us. We do not have any duty to look healthy for other people unless we choose to do that. I'd say that a fitness or diet expert is in a position where their own body and appearance is actually sending a message and is actually important; they are in the business of defining what a healthy body looks like and how to get it, so people looking at them will view them as an example.

That's not the case with a newscaster. Her only job is to deliver the news. The fact that people can see her doing so is incidental. She shouldn't be expected to be a model of health and attractiveness to anyone who happens to tune in; she should only be expected to be a competent newscaster. Should she be obese? For her own health, probably not, but not because other people don't like it. Her body is her own damn business. It would be the same for an anorexic newscaster (since you mentioned it). If she's just getting up there and doing her job like she's supposed to, then it's ridiculous to claim that she's being a bad role model just for having imperfect health. Now if a newscaster was advocating either obesity or anorexia, that would be a different story. But when it's just a matter of not liking how they look, it's the viewer who is making the problem.
  • ninakir88
    ninakir88 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Although no-one would choose to be obese, you choose what you put in your mouth, which in my opinion is the same thing.

That is not criticising anyone that is overweight; hell, I have the same problem or I wouldn't be here. But ultimately, anyone that loses weight makes the choice to start a healthy lifestyle.

Not true.This woman made the choice to becoem obese.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2117319/Mothers-bid-fattest-human-115-stone---shes-marrying-chef-help-her.html

This is just disgusting. She will die from a heart attack before reaching her "goal".
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you are an adult and obese then yes. Obese children or young adults who haven't had time to overcome childhood obesity would be exceptions. But for others who had control of their own food, it was a choice. Maybe not a conscious choice, but a choice nonetheless. Even if the choice was simply choosing not to think about it.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Since when did voicing a personal opinion, in private (it was sent in an email and not posted on a public forum or via the news stations social media page) become bullying? Am I no longer permitted to express my opinion to someone who doesn't agree with my opinion? Well, if that's the case, tough.

Whether the guy was tactful or not, isn't the issue. The issue is, something that could have been handled with much more discretion and class has been blown out of proportion and is now a cause, and I'm referring to both sides of this argument. Now it's being spread that being obese is the same has having a different color skin and disabilities, something that can't be controlled, and in MOST cases it can be controlled. I'm fat, I'm not suffering from MS or Parkinson's. I'm fat, AND I can change that. IF the case is in fact that this news woman can not change her weight due to some medical condition, then it's simple, "Dear Sir, since you do not know me personally and you do not watch the show by your own admission, I would like to inform you that I am suffering from X disease, or I'm on X medication and under a doctors care regarding my weight. Thank you for your concern. Have a nice day." Because this has blown so out of proportion, the person who wrote the letter is now the one being bullied, but I'm sure that's OK..<insert sarcasm>...it'll teach him a lesson won't it.

People are too often crying bully this or bully that, when they just need to suck it up and get over it. People suck. People are mean. This is nothing new, and definitely not worthy of having a "month." The more you let someone get to you by their words or actions, the more you give them control of your life. I control my life, not some moron who calls me fat.

Couldn't have said it better myself!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Since when did voicing a personal opinion, in private (it was sent in an email and not posted on a public forum or via the news stations social media page) become bullying? Am I no longer permitted to express my opinion to someone who doesn't agree with my opinion? Well, if that's the case, tough.

Whether the guy was tactful or not, isn't the issue. The issue is, something that could have been handled with much more discretion and class has been blown out of proportion and is now a cause, and I'm referring to both sides of this argument. Now it's being spread that being obese is the same has having a different color skin and disabilities, something that can't be controlled, and in MOST cases it can be controlled. I'm fat, I'm not suffering from MS or Parkinson's. I'm fat, AND I can change that. IF the case is in fact that this news woman can not change her weight due to some medical condition, then it's simple, "Dear Sir, since you do not know me personally and you do not watch the show by your own admission, I would like to inform you that I am suffering from X disease, or I'm on X medication and under a doctors care regarding my weight. Thank you for your concern. Have a nice day." Because this has blown so out of proportion, the person who wrote the letter is now the one being bullied, but I'm sure that's OK..<insert sarcasm>...it'll teach him a lesson won't it.

People are too often crying bully this or bully that, when they just need to suck it up and get over it. People suck. People are mean. This is nothing new, and definitely not worthy of having a "month." The more you let someone get to you by their words or actions, the more you give them control of your life. I control my life, not some moron who calls me fat.

I think if more parents focused on teaching their kids this than trying to stop the evil classmates from saying bad things, we'd be much better off.
  • aquamarine78
    Options
    Hmmm... that is a difficult question. I guess you have to ask is it a choice to be anoerexic or bulemic? or an alcoholic or a drug addict? I don't think so. For a lot of people there are a lot of psychological and emotional reasons for why they became obese and to just say, well it was your choice to put that food in your mouth seems a little harsh. I think its a choice to get help and change your lifestyle and live healthier but its a personal struggle and I think we can't generalize and say its someone's "choice"
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Hmmm... that is a difficult question. I guess you have to ask is it a choice to be anoerexic or bulemic? or an alcoholic or a drug addict? I don't think so. For a lot of people there are a lot of psychological and emotional reasons for why they became obese and to just say, well it was your choice to put that food in your mouth seems a little harsh. I think its a choice to get help and change your lifestyle and live healthier but its a personal struggle and I think we can't generalize and say its someone's "choice"

How can it be a choice to get help or change, but not be a choice to not get help or change?
  • aquamarine78
    Options
    Well people don't usually have a mental illness by choice, and they don't usually choose to go through emotional and psychological pain that may result in certain disorders. I'm just trying to say that while yes, for some of us (myself included) we just let ourselves go and we chose to not take care of ourselves. But I don't think thats the case with everyone so I just don't think we should generalize that everyone made the choice to be obese.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Well people don't usually have a mental illness by choice, and they don't usually choose to go through emotional and psychological pain that may result in certain disorders. I'm just trying to say that while yes, for some of us (myself included) we just let ourselves go and we chose to not take care of ourselves. But I don't think thats the case with everyone so I just don't think we should generalize that everyone made the choice to be obese.

Oh yes, I agree that anyone with diminished mental capacity would likely not make a choice re; obesity.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    The new meme of the decade is to call any and every criticism bullying; and when I read this guy's email to the anchorwoman, I didn't get the sense of bullying. She's an on-air personality in that community, and one of her viewers voiced an opinion about her weight. He wasn't being irate or degrading--or even sarcastic in his email response; it dealt with the subject of obesity as it relates to the horrible diseases associated with obesity. When people start placing weight-loss in the vanity category, the understanding that we're talking about the health of the nation loses momentum. It's not about vanity. It's about the health of the nation. It's about the security of our nation, because obesity threatens that security. It's about our military not having enough viable recruits to carryout the missions of this nation. It's about the cost of health care, and obesity is pushing up that cost. If we didn't take the issue of obesity serious, would we be logging our calories every day? I read this story several times before responding, because I felt it was important to mention: the author of the email didn't make her weight about vanity. That wasn't the author's intent; and to turn the debate into looks demeans the battle against obesity, against a healthy nation.
  • Nillia2
    Nillia2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    What hurts me here is reading this...what some of yall are saying.....like yall woke up one day and said 'I am going to become fat/obese today'. Really???. Most people come here because they have realised that they can make a change, with encouragement n support....i bet no one on here said i wanna be obese and now i wanna be slim. AND like i said before most of us tried before and were not successful. IT SEEMS YOU ALL HAVE COME HERE AND STARTED AND FORGOTTEN HOW HARD IT IS TO START/KEEP GOING

I dont think it is a choice guys(other than what I mentioned before)...its a choice what we put in our mouths...but some of us had no control over what went in our mouth wen we were younger...and just like its hard to stop smoking, drinking etc...its hard to stop eating what you know.

This woman in particular was on the ABC this morning...she and her husband were on a call with the host. Her husband said he was saddened because this man doesnt know her...she exercises 3 days a week, she runs in races, did one last week and doing one soon. He also said she has a thyroid problem...and i know people here saying that that doesn't mean you have to be big...but to be honest every one isnt built like you, everyone doesnt handle things the same way. From the clips they were showing she seems to have 3 young children...i kno this is not a total excuse...but close pregnancies and thyroid problems..i think u might have a problem keeping the weight off....just sayin.

Come on MFP family....yall know they are people out there that struggle daily..yall see it on this site everyday. YOU ALL KNOW PEOPLE FIND IT HARD..MOTIVATION AND OTHERWISE And honestly I DON'T THINK ANY OF Y'ALL CHOSE TO BE BIG/OBESE.........lest y'all wouldn't have to be here working your butt off

As to role model...well i had tons of obese people on my local tv station...and i NEVER remembered saying I WANT TO LOOK LIKE HER....matter of fact when I was young I didn't even watch the news :indifferent:
  • Nekoashi
    Nekoashi Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I just watched the video. I'm so glad she took a stand! And I'd like to ask, who does this guy think he is??? I don't think he was genuine at all in his concern for the community's health and I think its ridiculous of him to think girls need THIN role models to promote a healthy lifestyle in todays female youth. They need positive, smart, responsible role models, regardless of size! Just because someone is larger doesn't mean they're not healthy. Everyone's got a different body type.

Obesity isn't something people choose (some people have medical reasons) but for many its just something that happened because we let life get in the way; we decided to go out with our friends and family and eat what we wanted to not what we should have.; we decided the couch felt nicer then putting on our work out clothes and shoes for a walk. Many people just have excuses for why they ate what they did, and why they couldn't work out. Many procrastinate like I have many times "Oh I can start working out tomorrow. Oh I can eat better tomorrow, this bacon is too yummy to stop eating!" It is our choice what we eat, but I don't think anyone eats or lives a lifestyle in the way that they're doing it on purpose to be obese. I know I never intended to put on weight, but I let it happen to myself and made excuses for myself when I shouldn't have :grumble:

Now for those who are obese, overweight, or just not in the shape or health we'd like to be in, we do have the choice to turn our lives around for the better and that's what I hope everyone would do, and would want to do. I know that's why I'm here. I want to be healthier, look and feel better; IMO, muffin tops aren't sexy (I certainly don't think they are on myself anyway :laugh: )

We live in a harsh society where bulling has increased and beauty circulates around thin, artificial fake people! A concern for health as been becoming more prominent in society, and I am very thankful it has, but until we change society's attitude about health and wellness, there will be many temptations for poor health choices >_< If I see a commercial for Taco Bell's Doritos Locos Tacos I know it tempts me to go get some cheap food instead of my healthy sandwich which costs the same if not more LOL Changing my lifestyle hasn't been easy, and sometimes I cave in and get something unhealthy and I know I shouldn't, but I savor it and make sure to make the next meal/day better :ohwell:

Btw, in regards to society's harsh remarks and views of obese people, can't we all just be a little nicer to one another regardless of how different we are? :flowerforyou:
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Someone may have already stated this, but the man who sent the email does not know her or her situation. He just assumed the news anchor was living an unhealthy lifestyle. She's a triathlete AND she has thyroid issues. People need to stop assuming what did or didn't make someone obese...and stop assuming someone is just "lazy". Sending an email to someone you don't know, labeling them, and making judgments IS bullying and shouldn't be tolerated. I'm glad she spoke up and defended, not only herself, but others who have been bullied for various reasons.

Bumping this: She's a triathlete AND she has thyroid issues.

Lazy? Not doing anything about her situation? Bad role model? Hm...not so much.

I wonder how many of her viewers participate in triathlons. How many folks on MFP have done one? I sure haven't! But I have an obese friend who's thus far lost 150 pounds and has run 4 half marathons in less than one year...and yes, she's still overweight...but someone who is a role model for ME.

The next time you make an assumption about a total stranger just because of what you see on the outside...perhaps you should think again.
  • Elzecat
    Options
    Here's my thought. Is she overweight? Yes, which she freely admitted in her response. Is this SINGLE aspect of her what defines her as a proper role model for young people? Because I see her differently. She has a great job, and has held that great job for many years. She is smart and well spoken. She has gone to college, and earned a degree. She is a wife and a mother. She is caring and compassionate. She is full of self worth, and stands up for what she believes in.

Now, I don't live in Wisconsin. I have never seen this news anchor before this story broke. I learned all of this about her in about 4 1/2 minutes. Whether she is overweight or not, I hope that my kids DO look to her as a role model. I hope that they grow up to be kind, compassionate people. I hope they grow up, and continue their educations, and get good jobs, and become productive members of society. I hope they get married and have families of their own. I hope that they are smart, and well spoken, and confident in themselves, and can handle sitiations like this with as much class and tact as she did.

I hope that my child would NEVER send an email to an absolute stranger, and tell them they are less than what they should be because of their weight. I hope that my child would never call someone fat, or judge someone based soley on their physical appearence.

Yes, he was correct in saying that she was overweight (or, what some of the other posters have kept saying, FACT). But what in the world gives him the right to say that to another person? Just because she is a TV personality, he can watch the show one time and feels he has the right to send her and email, tell her she is a horrible person, and call her fat? If I posted on my newsfeed that a complete stranger walked up to me and told me I was a bad role model to my kids because I am overweight - all of MY friends would be pissed. Because what that stranger doesn't know about me - is that while I am still overweight, I have LOST 75 pounds, the RIGHT way. I teach my kids to eat right, and to drink water, and to get off the couch and get outside and play. I run with my daughter, and play soccer with my son, and teach them about healthy eating habits. I try to teach them about being healthy, not about being skinny.

To me - SHE is the role model in this situation. HE IS NOT. In his email - he sent the message that an overweight person cannot be a role model. The message she sent in response - don't let anyone else determine your self-worth. I wish I would have learned this lesson years and years ago. I was bullied. I was called FAT. I was stood up for prom twice in highschool. I never had a date to a dance. I had food thrown at me in the cafeteria. I had notes written about me, and thrown at me in class. If only I knew then what I know now... my entire life would have been different.

Kudo's to her for sending this message - regardless of the number on her scale.

Yes! :)
  • Elzecat
    Options
    For anyone who might be interested in what Jennifer's husband had to say about the letter writer:

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2012/10/jennifer-livingston-television-news-anchor-la-crosse-wisconsin-bullying-good
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    yes, a choice that until recently I was making.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Did it ever occur to anyone that she might be losing weight? Even if she isn't, not every fat person you see is a lazy binge eater. This is the problem with assumptions. If I were on TV, people would laugh at me and say I'm a fatty, not knowing I've lost 42 pounds already.

Also, she wasn't comparing herself to people with different skin colors or kids with disabilities. She was saying that bullying is NEVER okay, no matter what that person is being bullied about, whether it's obesity, smoking, drinking, or something they can't change, like their skin color.

Freedom of speech means you can say whatever you want, but if you bully someone, you're setting a bad example for your kids and perpetuating the cycle. THAT'S her point. Don't be a d!ck. How hard is that?
  • fitnessyeoja
    fitnessyeoja Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Here's his FOLLOW-UP RESPONSE after all the media attention.
    http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/national_world&amp;id=8835044

"Kenneth Krause stood by his statements and was apparently unmoved by the response. He declined an invitation to appear on the television station, and then issued the following statement.

"Given this country's present epidemic of obesity and the many truly horrible diseases related thereto, and considering Jennifer Livingston's fortuitous position in the community, I hope she'll finally take advantage of a rare and golden opportunity to influence the health and psychological well-being of Coulee region children by transforming herself for all of her viewers to see over the next year," he wrote. "And to that end, I would be absolutely pleased to offer her any advice or support she would be willing to accept."

That last sentence he says I think summarizes his state of mind. He clearly is insensitive and that final statement sounds like a final dig. Despite hearing Jennifer's personal situation (thyroid condition; she IS active, etc.), he doesn't truly care. He has zoned in on the fact that she still LOOKS fat and that appearance disgusts HIM and HE"S got to have it HIS way, because he is after all Master of the Universe. Interestingly, he declines to appears to on TV. He doesn't think we can handle seeing his perfect body.