Grocery List

Options

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I just started eating hummus (50cal per 2 tbsp) and sesame rice crackers (120cal per 15 crackers) with it. But I see someone wrote that they dip carrots in their hummus. What a great idea!

Bolthouse baby cut carrots: 8 carrots = 35 cals. (So 4.4 cals each carrot.)
    Instead of 15 crackers, you could have about 27 carrots.
    Still gives that satisfying CRUNCH for me to bite into a carrot.
    Sliced bell peppers have the same snap with even less calories.
  • Iorns78
    Iorns78 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy the Fiber One 90 calorie bars and whole natural almonds.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I just got the uncured bacon at Kroger. It says no hormones/antibiotics/nitrates so I figured it was good. It was also cheaper than the kind that I wanted to get, so why not? I'm going to eat some this weekend...tasty!!

Oh and you def. need Greek yogurt on your grocery list! I get it plain and sweeten it with a little stevia. Then I add fruit, granola, honey, cinnamon, you name it...
  • mavsfan2009
    mavsfan2009 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    hummus (sabra roasted red pepper is my FAVE)
    veggies - my faves are bell peppers and carrotts
    laughing cow cheese
    granola/special K bars
    100 calorie packs
    pudding/jello for my sweet tooth (add sugar free cool whip ...delicious!)
    butter free popcorn
    fruit, especially apples, blueberries, strawberries
  • codykitty
    Options
    my staples are

activa or fage yogurt

high fiber english muffins(i use all natural peanut butter or a small amount of real butter)

morning star breakfast sausage patties

cheddar cheese and apples

I always have frozen chicken in the freezer
  • codykitty
    Options
    my staples are

activa or fage yogurt

high fiber english muffins(i use all natural peanut butter or a small amount of real butter)

morning star breakfast sausage patties

cheddar cheese and apples

I always have frozen chicken in the freezer
  • Raphi
    Raphi Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    For my snacks, I often eat dry cereals! Fiber 1 original, Cheerios multi-grain, mini-wheats, they are low in calories and filling.
    I also LOVE light laughing cow cheese triangle: they are so low in calories! And so good with celery :)
  • runner915
    Options
    Hey everyone! In addition to fresh fruits and veggies these are some things that I enjoy having around

ground turkey (in place of ground beef)
    plain low fat yogurt (is great with blueberries and sliced almonds)
    the sandwhich thins, which I believe are 150 cals for 2 pieces
    low fat string mozarella cheese
    uncle ben's brown rice that cooks in the microwave in 90 seconds
    baked cheetos and doritos for when I'm craving something salty
    and this week I just tried these mousse cups from jello that are no sugar added and only 60 calories, I bought the caramel creme... so delicious!
  • kayvill
    Options
    mini popcorn bags - 100 cal
    extra gum!! - 5 cal
    sugar free jello

this is a weird one - yogurt melts from gerber. it's my son's (9 months), but i tasted it and its delicious... offhand i think its about 30 cal for a dozen or more pieces. (they r freeze-dried yogurt bits and u know its healthy because its targeted for babies!)
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! There will be alot on here that I will be trying! Especially hummus!
    I like to have have egg white omelets with random veggies thrown in or salsa. Tasty! Egg whites have around 11-13 cals and 4 grams of protein and no fat a piece per Large sized egg. Throw in a olive or canola oil, a side salad, and a slice of whole wheat bread and youve got a balanced meal!
  • katielouhoo
    katielouhoo Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    i try to keep a variety of different kinds & different calorie snacks in the house, it helps keep me out of things i shouldn't have. i like many that have been named already and 15 calorie fruit popsicles & 40 calorie fudgesicles.

my new discovery this year was last month, i saw joy bauer on the today show and she talked about roasted kale chips. i was intrigued and looked it up. it is really, really easy to make. and it totally satisfies the craving for potato chips; and is only 43 calories for a full cup (as opposed to 10 potato chips for 120 calories!!) also kale is a super green veg with lots of fiber, iron, vitamins A & C, etc. (good for you)

(by the way, good housekeeping had this recipe a couple of years ago) Anyway,
    take a bunch of kale, remove the heavy stems
    cut or tear into 2 inch size pieces
    lay on a baking sheet
    spray generously with an olive oil spray (like Pam olive oil)
    sprinkle with salt (i like using sea salt or kosher salt - my husband likes using chipotle pepper seasoning, so it is spicy)
    bake 400 degrees for 10 minutes

it will brown slightly. it is crispy, salty and just a hint of oil (which is why we want chips)
    a cup full with a favorite diet soda and you will totally feel like you've indulged, honest.
    -katie
  • lkchris
    Options
    Just discovered the yummiest bread, pepperidge farms whole grain deli flats!
    I use them for turkey sandwiches, but my new fave is toasting them, spraying 5 squirts of spray butter on each one, then topping with just a little splenda. 100 calories for 2 pieces plus the minimal calories in the spray butter and splenda. YUM!
  • sportsqueen32
    Options
    I love hummus. I get the roasted garlic flavor as my body doesn't digest spicy anything very well. Usually I dip carrots or celery into it depending on my sugars for the day. When I run out of hummus or need the extra calories I use whipped cream cheese. YUMMMMY if I wasn't headed to bed I would raid the fridge for celery and hummus. I never tried mushrooms with it. Mental note to self buy a lot more mushrooms, they are my fave.
  • irismoon
    Options
    I like to get things like:

bananas
    apples
    grapes
    nature's own brand bagels
    nature's own whole wheat whole-grain bread
    light yogurt (I like yoplait brand, but my mom likes the fiber one brand because of the fiber)
    fiber one muffins (mix or frozen) (high in fiber and other things!)
    fiber one pancake mix
    wheat germ (add to things you cook to make them healthier)
    flaxseed (add to things you cook to make them healthier)
    whole wheat whole-grain crackers
    low fat cheese
    popcorn (low in butter)
    boost or ensure drinks (great for after a workout when you need protein. Get regular and not the one for gaining wreight!)
    Protien snack bars (check the labels to make sure it isn't loaded with fat. Some have like 40% saturated fat.)
    Powder fiber like benefiber (great to add to food. Doesn't taste good in drinks though)

You may also want to see what your local health food store has. My mom and I started getting healthy junk food from ours. They have things like chips, cheese puffs, and cookies that are better for you than the regular brands. Sure they are still filler, but at least it is healthier. Normally they are low calorie and fewer preservatives.
  • melissaovadare
    melissaovadare Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    mini popcorn bags - 100 cal
    extra gum!! - 5 cal
    sugar free jello

this is a weird one - yogurt melts from gerber. it's my son's (9 months), but i tasted it and its delicious... offhand i think its about 30 cal for a dozen or more pieces. (they r freeze-dried yogurt bits and u know its healthy because its targeted for babies!)

Yogurt melts ROCK!!!!!! I ate more that my son did lol
  • teirney
    Options
    I've noticed that Babybel or Laughing Cow light cheese is on a lot of lists but I can't figure out what kind of cheese it is! I don't care for cheddar or swiss cheese.
  • Raphi
    Raphi Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that Babybel or Laughing Cow light cheese is on a lot of lists but I can't figure out what kind of cheese it is! I don't care for cheddar or swiss cheese.
    [/quot

Laughing cow is sold in round cartboard containers: it's cream cheese. mmmm :)
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I freeze the jello chocolate fat free pudding cups, they taste just like a fudgesicle! and only 60 calories :noway:
  • Claudina
    Claudina Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    [To imagymrat] I never would have thought to freeze pudding pops. Nice tip, thanks! I can find those pretty cheapley too, so that's a plus. :)

[To Iorns78] I LOVE whole natural almonds (& used to gorge out on them when I was on Adkins a few years ago), so I'm glad you added it here.

Thanks to everyone posting these grocery staple tips. I can't think of anything right now to add (you've covered so much) but will keep this post as a help. Much appreciated. :)
  • SuzMcH
    SuzMcH Posts: 343 Member
    Options

my new discovery this year was last month, i saw joy bauer on the today show and she talked about roasted kale chips. i was intrigued and looked it up. it is really, really easy to make. and it totally satisfies the craving for potato chips; and is only 43 calories for a full cup (as opposed to 10 potato chips for 120 calories!!) also kale is a super green veg with lots of fiber, iron, vitamins A & C, etc. (good for you)

(by the way, good housekeeping had this recipe a couple of years ago) Anyway,
    take a bunch of kale, remove the heavy stems
    cut or tear into 2 inch size pieces
    lay on a baking sheet
    spray generously with an olive oil spray (like Pam olive oil)
    sprinkle with salt (i like using sea salt or kosher salt - my husband likes using chipotle pepper seasoning, so it is spicy)
    bake 400 degrees for 10 minutes

it will brown slightly. it is crispy, salty and just a hint of oil (which is why we want chips)
    a cup full with a favorite diet soda and you will totally feel like you've indulged, honest.
    -katie

Sounds great. I'm definitely going to give this a try. thanks.