Best at home exercises to drop weight??????

Options

Replies

• Wilson929
    Wilson929 Posts: 100
    Options
    HIIT workouts or Tabata. You can look them up on YouTube. Most use body weight and no need to buy a DVD. I do those at home when in a time crunch. Also "homemade" circuit training. The internet is a wonderful tool these days for at home workouts.
  • sakchange
    sakchange Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    P90X, Insanity, Slim in 6, TurboFire, TurboJam, I could go on and on. 65 pounds lost by working out in my home with minimal equipment (dumbbells, pull up bar, yoga mat) and went from 28% body fat to single digit body fat thanks to Beachbody programs and eating properly.

and this helped u tone up as well?????/
  • CallOnRo
    CallOnRo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I love Chalean Extreme and P90X.
  • sakchange
    Options
    nevermind what..??????
    What Tilran said

lol....yeah!!!!!:wink:
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Check out benderfitness.com or her youtube channel. She does a ton of different workout videos on there that she does at home! Really good stuff.
  • sakchange
    Options
    The best at home exercise to drop weight is to place both hands on the edge of the table and push away before dessert arrives..... seriously though weight (fat) loss is 80% diet. Exercise burns calories but, more importantly, improves fitness.

There are lots of exercises you can do at home, the only real limitations are space and budget and, of course, are guided by what your goals are.

If you're looking specifically for calorie burn it's hard to beat running. All you need is a good pair of properly fitting running shoes, comfortable clothing and the determination to get out there and do it.

If running isn't your cup of tea google body-weight exercises, you can achieve a pretty high level of fitness with calisthenics (push ups, planks, lunges, squats etc) and if you have the space and budget a decent weight bench and set of weights will open up a whole new realm of possibilities.

will do
  • jenf235
    jenf235 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone Walk Slim videos. I had been walking 3.5-5 miles a night, and when it has started getting dark earlier, I started back on the videos. I bought a few new pairs of pants and jackets a few weeks ago to tide me over until next season, and within a few weeks, most of them are already too big! You can lose a lot of weight and inches with the higher intensity or boosted videos!
  • sakchange
    Options
    Check out benderfitness.com or her youtube channel. She does a ton of different workout videos on there that she does at home! Really good stuff.

will check it out fr sure..
  • mmarlow61
    mmarlow61 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The best thing that works for me is to get out and do my yard work and REALLY go at it. I cut the grass with a reel lawn mower (the old timey type that has the cylinder that rolls). I do trim work with a pair of scissors so that I have to bend and stretch, and no leaf blower to clean the drive, an old fashioned broom works FINE and doesn't cost a penny. I use as few or as simple tools as possible and have seen GREAT results.
  • jessalleyne
    Options
    I'm very into Chalene Johnson's Turbo Jam - which is a good lead up to TurboFire if you are intimidated by that at all. I also like her Chalene eXtreme. I also have a ton of Jillian Michael's, Tae Bo, I just got some dancing dvd's - and some yoga dvd's. My husband loves P90X - so I use some of those too.

I work out 100% from home - with some running as I can work it in on weekends. I do this because I have to work out so early in the am - that to drive to a gym is too much and it's too unsafe to work out outside that early.

I have so many dvd's because I need the diversity to keep me motivated & to work out different parts of my body.

Check out Beachbody.com - they have all that video stuff there. I've gotten most of my video's on ebay or amazon though - as well as any of the equipment. But at beachbody you can see the infomercials - and they have wowy.com that is another source for communities like this focused on their workouts.

Have fun!
  • wolfpack77
    Options
    Here's a good one that always worked for me.

Stand with feet shoulder width apart and grab one 5lb dumbbell in each hand. Hold the the dumbbells straight out in front of you and hold them there for 3-5 seconds. Now release them.

There, you just dropped 10lbs. :bigsmile:

Rinse and repeat until desired amount of weight is dropped.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Hi.....
    I have always been very confused about what are the best workouts to loose weight from the privacy of one's home.....i understand there is hardly any substitution to the gym ...but still what other stuff can be done to burn those cals at home....!!!!?????

The only thing that will drop fat is a calorie deficit.

Exercise is for shaping up the lean body mass only. Weight lifting will give you the most bang for your buck. I still run but I put it in 2nd place now and it's improved my look.

Lifting weights is KEY. I recently had my DXA scan done and at 51.5 years of age I have the bone density of a super athletic 30 year old. That is a direct result of lifiting for over 30 years. Now if that is not scientific proof that lifting weights keeps you younger I don't know what is!

My success story here --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi.....
    I have always been very confused about what are the best workouts to loose weight from the privacy of one's home.....i understand there is hardly any substitution to the gym ...but still what other stuff can be done to burn those cals at home....!!!!?????

I have never been to the gym, but there r plenty of substitutions that work just fine! I lost all the weight I wanted to (18lbs), have maintained for over a year & am still losing bodyfat... Who needs a gym!
  • Miche11e5
    Miche11e5 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Like others here I workout exclusively at home. I started really out of shape with Slim-in-6, moved on to P90X (twice), Insanity, P90X2... No, I'm not a BeachBody coach! But I do LOVE their programs!

I have RushFit on the way for my next workout. All I'll need are some dumbells...I can't wait!
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Hi.....

Sex

Absolutely agree!!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Best at home exercise you can do to drop weight is to practice clenching your mouth firmly shut after you've eaten your day's allocation of calories. WORK those jaw muscles! :bigsmile:

Which is my way of saying that while exercise is good for your health, most of weight loss comes from controlling what you eat.
  • mrsvatitagain
    mrsvatitagain Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone Walk Slim videos. I had been walking 3.5-5 miles a night, and when it has started getting dark earlier, I started back on the videos. I bought a few new pairs of pants and jackets a few weeks ago to tide me over until next season, and within a few weeks, most of them are already too big! You can lose a lot of weight and inches with the higher intensity or boosted videos!

^5 this! Leslie is great especially if you ahvent been exercising, she is a great place to start BEFORE you jump into the Turbo Fires etc, which are good as mentioned.

Main thing is find something you like because that is the only way you will keep doing it!
  • triciap79
    triciap79 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    TurboFIre! Started Jan of this year along with MFP and I'm down 71 pounds! All in the privacy of my own home office :tongue: If I can do it anyone can!

Absolutely Amazing Results! Congrats on all the hard work..
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I've lost 75 lbs then turned around and gained 15 lbs of muscle so far with some hex dumbbells, ankle weights, a pullup bar, and a mat. I have a treadmill too but mostly run outside.

I made my own program based on push-pull and rep range principles, basically applying barbell programming to bodyweight/low equipment workouts.

I'm nowhere near running out of resistance. Its not really possible in the upper body (you can deleverage positions to the human genetic max) and in the lower body a little weight can go a long way (weighted pistols with DB's in the front rack position, and glute-ham raises give your legs the same loads as people lifting massively heavy barbells).
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Hi.....

Close the fridge.