Alcohol & losing weight

Options

Replies

• takingnameskickingbutt
    Options
    I very rarely drink and never to excess. I think what is problematic is not just the calories in booze, but losing your inhibitions after you drink and eating a gigantic cheeseburger with a large fry!
  • BikeUtah11
    Options
    Just be sure to log the calories. You will have to sacrifice the food calories for beer calories. Keep that in mind and enjoy.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your body. I know that, for every beer I drink, I gain a pound. Literally. Everything else equal, 1 beer = 1lb. This is probably weird/extreme, but try cutting your alcohol intake and see how it impacts your weight loss. I have a friend who loses weight when she drinks red wine (again, everything else equal), so see what works for you!
  • angelmma
    angelmma Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I love a bottle of rose wine mixed with west coast cooler at the weekend, worked it out and it's 1400, the. I eat everything in sight :( so now I don't drink every weekend and if I do I try stick to vodka and diet lemonade. I also try and fit in a workout so that I have a few spare calories for a few drinks
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It is much easier to lose weight if you don't drink

Perhaps you meant "It is much easier to lose weight if I don't drink"??? It would not be easier for me because I would feel deprived.
  • thenewmrsgant
    thenewmrsgant Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I absolutely still have a glass of wine every now and then...and I log it as well. Have an occasional alcoholic drink has not hindered my weight loss progress at all.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Perhaps you meant "It is much easier to lose weight if I don't drink"??? It would not be easier for me because I would feel deprived.

drinking alcohol consumes a lot of calories that can be used for food instead. If you mean only one or two drinks then that is different.

Most days it's one or two (usually two) but some days it might be 2 bottles of wine or several beers. It's no different than eating candy or junk food while losing weight. An entire bottle of wine has about the same calories as a Big Mac. I'd rather have the wine. But cutting alcohol out without a medical need would lead to diet failure for me.
  • christinairun
    Options
    I LOVE beer and drink often enough....but truthfully you know the answer already :) sorry
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Alcohol has calories. If you stop drinking and don't replace it with food, yes, it'll help you lose weight.

Or if you burn more than you eat including alcohol you can lose weight. I had 7 beers Friday, and one last night and was down a pound as of this morning.
  • bcattoes
    Options

drinking alcohol consumes a lot of calories that can be used for food instead. If you mean only one or two drinks then that is different.

Most days it's one or two (usually two) but some days it might be 2 bottles of wine or several beers. It's no different than eating candy or junk food while losing weight. An entire bottle of wine has about the same calories as a Big Mac. I'd rather have the wine. But cutting alcohol out without a medical need would lead to diet failure for me.
    *shrug* whatever works for you, most people don't NEED the drink though.

What does NEED have to do with anything? I don't NEED to drink alcohol either. I like to. People don't NEED to eat cookies, or ice cream, or bacon, or chocolate either. It doesn't mean losing weight would be easier for them without it.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    If eliminating those liquid calories from your diet helps you get to a deficit, then by all means, go for it.
  • gailashton
    Options
    I'm not going to say I don't drink here and there because I do. When I really get serious about dropping a few extra pounds, I try to steer clear as alcohol lowers your setpoint for losing weight, burning calories, etc.
  • Sarahneedstoshrink
    Options
    Bud select 55!!!!! It is a really good beer and its only 55 cal for 12oz!:drinker:
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    soo many threads on this -- if you cannot control and do not log your alcohol it is going to catch up with you. late night drinking leads to eating which is a big problem so if that's your case I would quit

I drink my face off still and I'm losing. All about watching what you eat/drink and logging. I also exercise enough to do so.
  • nbdrews
    nbdrews Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When trying to lose weight, I just drink on Friday and Saturday... and try not to drink too much.

If you really want a beer, just count your calories. Build up a deficit the rest of the day. Maybe go on an extra beer "run" when you get home. Run a quick 30 minutes after work so you can have a beer with dinner.
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have always been of the mind-i will drink when I want to drink. Alcohol by itself is not going to ruin my weight loss just as a cookie will not ruin it. As long as I log it, acount for it, plan for it, work it into my daily calories, due it in moderation, etc. I have lived this for well over a year. It has worked, I have continued to lose weight and/or maintain the weight with alcohol in the plan. HOWEVER, i was recently in a situation where I was not able to be very active in any capacity and I had to stop drinking alcohol for a six week period or so, there may have been some other factors that contributed but without even really trying aside form trying to stay within calories because I couldnt be active, i still dropped an additional 5 pounds that I wasnt even trying to, again due to my situation there may have been some other influences, but since i was previously a once a week drinker, i do think excluding alcohol made an impact.
  • jennieodwyer
    jennieodwyer Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I only drink on special occasions, which means my tolerance is low. Why is that good? Because I can get buzzed/drunk on much fewer calories!!

This.