Yummy Under 500-Cal Recipes?

Options
I need some new dinner ideas to spice up the ole kitchen.

Here's one to get us started.

Mediterranean Wraps
Per serving: 479 calories; 17 g fat ( 3 g sat , 11 g mono ); 67 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 34 g protein; 5 g fiber; 653 mg sodium; 382 mg potassium.

wraps.jpg

1/2 cup water
1/3 cup couscous, preferably whole-wheat
1 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 pound chicken tenders
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 cup chopped cucumber
4 10-inch spinach or sun-dried tomato wraps or tortillas

Preparation

Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Stir in couscous and remove from the heat. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Set aside.

Meanwhile, combine parsley, mint, lemon juice, oil, garlic, 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper in a small bowl.

Toss chicken tenders in a medium bowl with 1 tablespoon of the parsley mixture and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt.
Place the tenders in a large nonstick skillet and cook over medium heat until cooked though, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a clean cutting board. Cut into bite-size pieces when cool enough to handle.

Stir the remaining parsley mixture into the couscous along with tomato and cucumber.

To assemble wraps, spread about 3/4 cup of the couscous mixture onto each wrap. Divide the chicken among the wraps.

Roll the wraps up like a burrito, tucking in the sides to hold the ingredients in. Serve cut in half.

Replies

• Chrysopteron
    Chrysopteron Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    As old as dirt but one of my all-time-favourites, ever since I've been a kid:

Potatoes and creamed spinach, all mushed up together and served with fried eggs!

Apparently that involves

- Calories: 500 (200g creamed spinach: 120 cals, 200g taters boiled with skin: 140 cals and 2 large fried eggs: 240 cals)

- Carbs: 42 (same amounts of food: spinach 10, potatoes 30, eggs 1)

- Fat: 24 (same amounts of food: spinach 10, potatoes 0 (?!maybe it didn't get recorded?), eggs 20)

- Protein: 24 (same amounts of food: spinach 10, potatoes 5, eggs 15)

Be nice to yourself and add a couple of tomato and / or cucumber pieces for starters and enjoy! ; )
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    yum. keep em coming guys (I know most people are sleeping.... grrr... it's tough being on the other side of the world. lol!)
  • meggers123
    Options
    hmmm..... :grumble:
  • Chrysopteron
    Chrysopteron Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I can only come up with more as my MFP account "ages"...
    Since it's only been a little over a week and I've never had the faintest idea about calorie numbers before, I can't honestly say how much my dishes usually carry...
    But I promise to enter recipes as I try them!

Actually, there's two things I imagine must be under 500 if you don't eart cartfuls of it:

No 1:

"Karotteneintopf" (for the non-German-speaking-world, that's carrot stew):

You need:

20-30 minutes

and

1-2 onions
    carrots and potatoes according to number of eaters
    Gemüsebrühe (vegetable broth ?!)
    Fleischwurst (apparently it's called "ring bologna" in the States for reasons I can't even begin to fathom - good thing you're buying ingredients in Germany, Meg!)
    butter
    salt, pepper and a bit of nutmeg
    fresh parsley (if you like it)

- Chop 1-2 onions into little cubes and slowly brown them in a bit of butter at the bottom of a big pot.
    - While they're at it, you peel potatoes and carrots (about 2/3 carrots, 1/3 potatoes would be the ratio I use, but of course you can adjust that if you like) and cut them up into bite-sized pieces - the less time you have for cooking, the smaller the pieces need to be. ; ) (carrots should be around twice as thick as 2-Euro coins, taters can be 2-3 times that - they're quicker!)
    - Use a kettle and set water to boil.
    - add the veggies to the onions - carrots first (they need longer), then the taters (add a bit more butter if you're afraid it'll burn)
    - When the onions look golden and smell yummy you add a bit of boiling water, so they won't turn black
    - use some more of the boiling water to make 1-2 cups of vegetable broth from the granulated stuff and add that
    - turn down the heat and let it simmer until carrots and potatoes are "al dente" (not hard anymore, not mushy yet)
    - while that's doing its thing, cut up the Fleischwurst into pieces
    - add salt, pepper and some nutmeg according to your preferences
    - if there's not enough broth, you can always add boiling water
    - pour into deep plates or shallow bowls (wouldn't use cereal bowls, the potatoes will be hotter'n hell for a while!!!)
    - sprinkle with fresh parsley (a step I leave out, but my Mom insists I mention it.... ; )!!!)
    - add Fleischwurst cubes and enjoy - carefully blowing on each spoonful you have the first ten minutes, because it's always VERY hot (that's why I put the Fleischwurst on top - the original recipe says it goes on the plate before you put the Eintopf in, but that way it gets warm. Since you will burn your mouth when you're too greedy, and I always am, I love the crunchy cold meat between the hot veggies!)

No 2:

good old omelette!

I always use onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, zucchini + some ham and cheese as filling. Put the whole thing on top of 2-3 slices of good wholegrain "Schwarzbrot" with sunflower seeds with butter and be happy! ; )

Can't imagine that would have more than 500 kcals - if it does, maybe you need to keep it down to 1-2 slices...

YUMMY!

So, what do you have?
    Oh, and if you're about to die laughing because I just mentally served you like 5.000 kcals in one go, please tell me! ; )
    I need some education in this field...

Have a great holiday!
  • meggers123
    Options
    Roasted Butternut Squash (what I made for dinner today). According to MFP and entering all the ingredients, it's 350 calories- for big portions. This *was* dinner for us- but it could also be good as a side dish.

Ingredients:

0.9 kg -1.13 kg (2-2.5 pound) butternut squash
    1 large-ish clove garlic, minced
    2-3 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt
    1 cup de-stemmed and roughly chopped Lacinato kale
    1/4 cup shredded or cubed cheese (I used a hard, aged white cheddar)
    1/8 cup slivered almonds

1. Preheat oven to 400F (200C)

2. Peel the squash (I used a regular potato peeler, and just went over each slice 2-3 times. Worked great!). Thinly slice off the bottom and top and then slice through the middle lengthwise to make two halves. Remove seeds & guts with a large spoon. Chop two halves into 1-inch chunks and place into casserole dish.

3. Add minced garlic, parsley, oil, and salt into casserole dish and stir until well combined with the squash. Do not add the kale yet.

4. Cover casserole dish with a lid (or tin foil with a few holes poked) and bake at 400F/200C for about 45 minutes.

5. After about 45 mins (or when squash is just fork tender), remove from the oven and reduce heat to 350F/180C. Stir in the chopped kale and sprinkle the cheese and nuts all over the squash. Bake for another 5-8 minutes, until the nuts are lightly toasted. Watch closely so you don’t burn them. Remove & serve!

*note: In Germany I've had no luck finding kale, so used spinach. Tasted great, but I imagine Kale would have added a delicious crunch that I missed a little.

roasted-butternut-squash-with-almond-parmesan-6512.jpg
  • CaralynH
    Options
    420 cal per serving risotto - this is for butternut squash but I've also used fresh garden peas, mixed mushrooms, etc, etc

75g arborio/risotto rice per person
    half an onion per person
    2 cloves garlic per person
    half a pint of veg. stock per person (1 stock cube)
    fry light spray to fry onion
    then whatever veg you're adding: 100g squash (pre roasted), or handful of mushrooms/peas etc per person
    sage leaves go well with squash for added flavour, and try fresh mint if using peas

Fry onion and garlic
    Add rice and stir for a minute
    If using mushrooms add now and stir
    Add stock a ladleful at a time and constantly stir until each ladleful is absorbed
    If using veg that doesn't need further cooking, e.g. pre-roasted squash, or peas, add just before the last bit of stock.
    Stir constantly and serve immediately.

Doesn't look a huge amount in the bowl but it's perfectly filling enough.
  • meggers123
    Options
    ^yum. Thanks fr posting. Squash is one of my all-time favorites when the weather turns cool (as it has here).
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have ever made anything that isn't under 500 cal / serving. Avoid extra oil & fats when you cook. Grill / Bake things, have less rice/potato/pasta and instead bulk up the 'toppings' with veggies or meat.

Try Angel hair pasta, cook it al'dente - you can have a HUGE bowl + marinara sauce + shrimp/fish for under 500 calories. I had this last night, 85g of dry pasta cooks up to around 275 g - that's a massive portion. You will get less if you use heavier pasta (like fettuccine or penne)

Fish is great to cook also. Try Basa Florentine. I don't have the recipe off hand but it's very similar to this one http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/Recipes/Recipe/Greek-Fish-Florentine.aspx I use julienne carrots instead of tomato and mozarella instead of feta cheese.

I am also partial to roasts with baked root veggies and salad. If you don't overdo it on the gravy - or just skip it you can also have this for under 500 cal.

I make chili also - having that for lunch, 2 cups about 350 cal, can have cheese on it or even a bit of bread with it and still be under 500 (depends on your bread, or just have a little less chili)

Looking for deserts I have apple crisp, pie, cookies - all under 500

If you tell me what's in your house I can give you more ideas ;) I don't use odd food though so don't expect I know anything about cooking tofu :P
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Hitem20
    Hitem20 Posts: 121
    Options
    This is well under 500 and more of a starter than an actual meal:

Mahi Mahi Ceviche (I put into the MFP data base.

Fresh Mahi Mahi (Dolphin Fish), 3 oz (Raw) 72 calories
    Fresh - Lime Juice, 1 fl oz (31g) 8 calories
    Celery - Raw, 0.1 cup chopped 1 calories
    Onion, Red, Raw 3 oz (85g), 0.75 oz (85g) 8 calories
    Fresh Cilantro - Chopped, 1/8 c 1 calorie
    Peruvian Giant Corn, .033 cup 12 calories (any corn can be substituted)

Mix all ingredients except for corn into bowl, chill for one hour in fridge, top with corn and serve
  • meggers123
    Options

If you tell me what's in your house I can give you more ideas ;) I don't use odd food though so don't expect I know anything about cooking tofu :P

We go grocery shopping 2-3 times a week, so we could buy anything! We have tuna steaks or salmon once a week, and lots of veggie dishes. I'm up to try any new suggestions.

The blog looks great, I will check it out after work.

P.S. You guys are right about lots of things being under 500 calories. I just didn't want to limit it to 400, since my dinners are often 4-500 calories on work-out days.

Mostly just trying to get out of this rut of: Salad with protein (shrimp or chicken), pasta, steak/chicken, tune/salmon. We almost always have a protein, a starch (quinoa, rice, potato or pasta), a veggie (salad, or broccoli or zuccinni). I'd love to mix it up a bit. :D
  • meggers123
    Options
    This is well under 500 and more of a starter than an actual meal:

Mahi Mahi Ceviche (I put into the MFP data base.

Fresh Mahi Mahi (Dolphin Fish), 3 oz (Raw) 72 calories
    Fresh - Lime Juice, 1 fl oz (31g) 8 calories
    Celery - Raw, 0.1 cup chopped 1 calories
    Onion, Red, Raw 3 oz (85g), 0.75 oz (85g) 8 calories
    Fresh Cilantro - Chopped, 1/8 c 1 calorie
    Peruvian Giant Corn, .033 cup 12 calories (any corn can be substituted)

Mix all ingredients except for corn into bowl, chill for one hour in fridge, top with corn and serve

oh my! Yum! sometimes the store by us gets lovely Mahi steaks in... will have to be on the look- out (and save up- they're like 10 euro a piece! lol)