Looking for breakfast recipes~

Options
tiffanysb
tiffanysb Posts: 15 Member
Hi! I'm looking for some quick/easy breakfast recipes. Thins that can be made and refrigerated the night before to just heat up in the morning are great! I've been eating a bowl of cereal for breakfast, but the small amount you get for a ton of calories puts me off of it. Besides, I want to try new recipes.
So, I figured I would ask for some help!

What are your favorite healthy breakfast recipes?

Replies

• LKG31
    LKG31 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I usually don't leave enough time in the morning to "make" a good breakfast so here is my quick and easy recipe! (if you like eggs)

Use a muffin pan, lightly coat it with cooking spray (I use 100% olive oil spray)

Mix egg and/or egg whites (I usually use 2 eggs and 3 egg whites) as you would for scrambled eggs.
    Pour mixture into muffin pan (about each one 3/4 full) This many eggs will make about 5, enough for the week!
    Then I add spinach, ham or turkey sausage, peppers, etc. etc. Basically anything you want!!

Cook at 350 for about 20-25 minutes

Let cool and then I store in tupperware in the fridge, and then they are ready to go in the morning!!

Sometimes I will throw them on an english muffin or bagel thin with a slice of cheese to make it more of a sandwich
  • Garfield1977
    Garfield1977 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love that idea! Easy I can do it sunday night and have them ready for the week! I may be making some for the hubby too!
  • whitelaurel
    whitelaurel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'll make a few suggestions, but only a couple of them will give you a "quick hot breakfast" (most of the ones I eat that are "quick" are cold!) But, for your consideration:

You can make a boatload of flax pancakes and actually FREEZE them. :) (In freezer bags, separated by sheets of wax paper.) Then you can take out one or two and either pop it in the toaster or the microwave for a minute or two. :) If you want my flax pancake recipe, let me know!

Some of my relatives also make a couple-few days worth of oatmeal and keep it in the fridge -- you can enjoy it cold with toppings or (I imagine) reheat it in the microwave. :) I've never tried this before because I'm a traditionalist when it comes to oatmeal and can only eat it hot off the stove.

My other suggestions for quick breakfasts mostly include yogurt, fruit, and/or hard-boiled eggs (if you store them properly, you can probably even peel the egg the night before and then it will be ready to go in the morning~)! Granola and milk is a good alternative to cereal, because it has tons more nutrients, you know? But it's still a small serving and dense calorie count...

Like the above-poster said (which is genius :D), if you made some sort of omelette-muffins, breakfast casserole, or quiche, that would probably be great to reheat in the morning, too! Here's a quick link I found for light quiche recipes! (http://www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder/healthy-quiche-recipes-00412000074650/) -- I've never tried these before, but I was really curious myself to see if the Internet could yield a healthy alternative to this traditionally heavy dish... :) For breakfast casserole, hashbrown ones are really really good! But seeing as my family traditionally the morning after Thanksgiving, I don't know healthy or unhealthy they are!

I've gone on for a really long time... I hope some of this was helpful, and not just really annoying! Best of luck to you. :)
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I make blueberry cottage cheese pancakes for Sunday breakfast then freeze the rest, they heat perfectly in the microwave.

Another favourite is poached egg, grilled tomato, grilled mushrooms and 100g baked beans, mmm!

This morning I had poached egg and smoked salmon (bit indulgent but salmon needed eaten!!)
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Skinny Pumpkin Overnight Oats in a Jar

Servings: 1 • Serving Size: 1 jar • Old Points: 5 pts • Points+: 6 pts
    Calories: 227 • Fat: 9 g • Carbs: 34 g • Fiber: 7 g • Protein: 8 g • Sugar: 12 g
    Sodium: 139 mg

Ingredients:

1/4 cup quick oats*
    1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
    2 tbsp pumpkin butter (Recipe below)
    1 tsp chia seeds
    pinch cinnamon
    pinch pumpkin pie spice
    1/4 sliced banana (freeze the rest for smoothies)

topping:

1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
    pinch cinnamon
    pinch pumpkin pie spice
    1 tbsp raw hulled pepitas (or any nut) (I didn't use any nuts and it was still AWESOME)

Directions:

Combine the oats and 1/2 cup of the milk in a jar. Stir in the pumpkin butter, chia seeds and spices. Add banana, cover jar, shake and refrigerate overnight.The next morning remove from the refrigerator and let it sit on the counter 30 minutes to take out the chill (or you can microwave a few seconds if you wish). Stir in the remaining milk, sprinkle with a little cinnamon and pumpkin spice and top with pepitas.

****Important**** You have to use Pumpkin Butter, not Canned Pumkin b/c it's different recipe for that is this:
    umpkin Butter
    Gina's Skinny Recipes
    Servings: 30 • Serving Size: 2 tbsp • Old Points: 1 pts • Points+: 1 pts
    Calories: 32 • Fat: 0.1 g • Protein: 0.5 g • Carb: 9.5 g • Fiber: 1.3 g • Sugar: 8 g
    Sodium: 3.5 g

Ingredients:

3 1/2 cups pumpkin puree, or 1 (29 ounce) can (not pumpkin pie filling)
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    3/4 cup apple cider or juice
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    2-3 cinnamon sticks
    1-2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (to taste)

Directions:

Combine pureed pumpkin, vanilla, apple juice, spices, cinnamon sticks and sugar in a large saucepan; stir well. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 - 40 minutes or until thickened. Stir frequently. Adjust spices to your taste. Makes 3 3/4 cups.

I tried this and it was freaking AWESOME you just leave it overnight and its all ready to go in the morning!

Also this is really good and can be made the night before and heated up the next day

Vegan Pumkin Baked Oatmeal
    1/2 cup rolled oats (50g)
    1/4 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp cinnamon (and 1/8 tsp nutmeg, if making pumpkin version. Or just use pumpkin pie spice.)
    sweetener, such as 1 1/2 to 2 tbsp maple syrup or 1 to 1 1/2 packs stevia (I used less, but I’ve cautioned you before about my lack of sweet tooth.)
    1/4 cup canned pumpkin (or applesauce or banana)
    1/4 cup milk of choice, or nondairy creamer, or water (scale back by a tbsp if using liquid sweetener)
    1/8 tsp salt
    Optional: 1 to 2 tbsp oil or favorite nut butter (if oil, scale the milk back by a tbsp)
    Optional: raisins, walnuts, brown sugar to sprinkle on top, etc.

Preheat oven to 380 degrees. Combine raw oats, spices, pumpkin, and milk. Pour into a greased 1-cup ramekin (or two 1/2-cup ramekins) or a mini-loaf pan. Cook for 20 minutes or more, until it gets firm. Finally, set your oven to “high broil” for 3 more minutes, or until it reaches desired crispy-ness

Calories: 180*
    Fat: 3 g
    Carbs: 33 g
    Protein: 7 g
    Fiber: 9 g
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Recipes you can find online:

Freeze the day before, microwave/toast morning of: Make home made waffles, home made pancakes, oatmeal, muffins.

Takes less than 10 minutes to make: egg whites+turkey bacon, smoothies, cottage cheese+jam, toast + pb/banana/chocolate almond butter
  • theconstantgardener
    Options
    the best thing ever is porridge- I make it with water and although I found that weird at first I now prefer it. A BIG bowl has only 140 calories and fills me up for ages

another thing is to have a small bowl of that and then follow with some fresh fruit. I always thought pineapple would have loads of calories cause its so sweet and yum but it has a bit less than an apple and is less dense so for 100g (which is quite a lot) it's 48 calories and it really fills you up. Raspberries are really low calorie and they're so delish