Am I going too far?

Options
So i've been dieting since June too lose the weight I put on from university. I've lost a stone and now weight 7 and a half stone. I'm 5 ft 3. I know i'm not overweight but i can't bring myself to eat normally now because i am literally terrified of putting back on any weight. I struggle to even eat 900 calories in a day but i'm not starving myself. For example today i've had porridge, sandwich, stir fry and a yoghurt and i'm full but i've only had 870 cals.

If i start eating normally am i going to start piling on the pounds again?

Replies

• beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    You probably will put on a few pounds when you start eating normally. However, your body will adjust. If you simply increase to 1200 per day, your body may add a pound or two, then level out, then it will start losing again.

Your body has gotten used to eating less, but it will also get used to eating more. And, in the long run, you will likely feel better.
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    You probably will put on a few pounds when you start eating normally. However, your body will adjust. If you simply increase to 1200 per day, your body may add a pound or two, then level out, then it will start losing again.

Your body has gotten used to eating less, but it will also get used to eating more. And, in the long run, you will likely feel better.

^^^^^ well said. lol
  • joharr79
    joharr79 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You have to have a minimum of 1200 calories per day or your body goes into starvation mode. 1200 calories. per day. minimum to not die. No matter who you are. (speaking for anyone over the age of 12 )
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    7.5 stone (105 pounds) is really tiny, and 900 calories is way too little. Not to be harsh, but you should be much more concerned about the damage you could be doing to your body than the fear of putting on a few pounds... it's a slippery slope you're on. Is there a counselor at uni you could talk to?
  • Ivycan
    Ivycan Posts: 6
    Options
    But i don't look tiny. People have commented on my weight loss but in a good way not in a concerned way. I am concerned that my body has gone into starvation mode and that if i up my calorie intake now my metabolism won't be able to cope and i'll balloon up. Is that silly?
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    But i don't look tiny. People have commented on my weight loss but in a good way not in a concerned way. I am concerned that my body has gone into starvation mode and that if i up my calorie intake now my metabolism won't be able to cope and i'll balloon up. Is that silly?

It is not silly..it is disordered thinking. I am 4'11" and eat 2000 calories a day to maintain my weight.....so you are far from gaining it all back eating 1500-1600 calories.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you don't look tiny, it's likely because eating so little, you've lost a lot of lean mass (ie, muscle) and still have quite a bit of body fat. It's a common problem -- I did the same thing when losing weight years ago. But it's very important to correct that, and correcting that may require some weight gain. That doesn't mean you'll get any bigger, though. You might even end up looking smaller while gaining weight.

You're young. Your body will bounce back. But you should, for starters, switch your calories to maintenance, eat most of your exercise calories, get a minimum of 100g of protein and include some strength training in your exercise.

I gained about 7-8 pounds in the past year, but I'm smaller than I was a year ago. See? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/758160-reminder-the-scale-does-not-define-you
  • therealmax
    therealmax Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hey Ivy, remember that it takes 3500 calories for your body to create 1 lb of fat. Adding an additional 300-400 cals a day will not result in a huge 'balloon-like' weight gain. While your metabolism beings to rebound from the state that it is in from a long-term deprivation, it will store calories as fat as a fail-safe for the next "famine" period, but once you being to eat at a consistenly healthy calorie level your body will recognize that it's fat stores are unnecessary and use them for fuel. Please remember that healthy and adequate amounts of food are good for your body and is necessary for life :)
  • snowfox1
    snowfox1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    7.5 stone (105 pounds) is really tiny, and 900 calories is way too little. Not to be harsh, but you should be much more concerned about the damage you could be doing to your body than the fear of putting on a few pounds... it's a slippery slope you're on. Is there a counselor at uni you could talk to?

Well said!
  • Ivycan
    Ivycan Posts: 6
    Options
    Thankyou for your help :) i don't do any exercise at the moment but i'm joining the gym/starting swimming (haven't decided yet) next week so maybe that will help me work up more of an appetite. I understand that 900 calories isn't enough but i'm just finding it so hard to relax and loosen my control, everything i pick up i automatically start calculating the calories for!
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The thing with 900 calories is it's easy to underestimate what you're eating. Maybe you'll actually eating 1200. I believe Tony addressed this in one of his threads. Different people have different frames, too, some people have very slender builds. Unless your doctor says your underweight, I wouldn't worry.

Exercise will be great for your body. Lifting weights will help you build muscle to boost your metabolism, shape your body and allow you to eat more.

Congrats on your weight loss!
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I suggest talking with someone to get over the fear of eating and losing control. I am 5'3" and 108+/- lbs, and I eat at least 1600 calories a day. If you feel jiggly, then you probably need to gain some lean mass. Yes, your weig will go up, but you will be tighter. Good luck.