would you date someone with no lisence?

Options

Replies

• Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend doesn't have a license.
    Don't think it should matter.
    Unless it gets to the point where they are asking for rides everywhere that it gets into your schedule.
    My b/f is more then happy to ride his bike everywhere.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Because of a DUI? No. Sorry. Buh-bye.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    ** from a mistake made years ago
    I'd be more concerned about the nature of the "mistake" than the fact that s/he doesn't have a license.
    PS: You don't lose your license for 5 YEARS for one DUI.
    Unless people died!
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    from a mistake made years ago
    It's funny how so many people are answering the question as if the person just didn't want a license for some reason. This is the important part. And I can't answer the question until I know what kind of mistake it was. If it was a DUI (don't you need multiple DUI's before you lose your license?) I think that would be a no.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Culture is a funny thing. I'm 25 years old, own my own house and work in a fairly serious job. However, I don't have a licence (correct English spelling is without an s!). I don't have a car. I don't particularly want one right now.

I live in a city where the bicycle rules and when I want to go further afield I use public transport. Maybe one day I'll learn to drive, but the idea that people would just rule out someone because they don't drive is somewhat odd to me!! I notice this in American culture - that it is "so uncool" not to drive. Personally, I think it is "cool" that I burn 350 cals a day getting to and from work on a bicycle while not contributing to climate change.
    What does LOSING YOUR LICENSE have to do with culture?
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    Ok, just wondering, if you met someone that was awesome but had no license** from a mistake made years ago, would you be able to date them if everything else in their life was right on track?

**Spelling the word license wrong probably did not help my case. **runs and hides**

I made the mistake of dating someone who didn't have a license to kill. Trust me: it's more hassle than any date is worth.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    No and also wouldn't date anyone that spelled license as lisence.
  • Isabelle222
    Isabelle222 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I did and you think its alright at first but gets really annoying after a while
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Been there. Done that. Not going there again. Ever. Pick a man with a job, a car, (a license), and treats his mother with respect. For starters...

THIS! If he never got it in the first place then its probably not as big of a deal. If he lost his license then he probably did something very reckless. Who wants to deal with all those issues? You're going to like a bunch of people in life. At least pick the ones who have their **** together.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    For three years I dated a guy with no license--he hadn't lost it, he'd just never bothered to get one. At one point he'd had a learner's permit, but he just never took the test. Him not driving was inconvenient, but not terrible. However, what did become an issue in our relationship was his general lack of life skills and motivation, of which his lack of a license was just one symptom.
  • OmegaGator
    OmegaGator Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind driving go for it. If it was along time ago, men do stupid things at time it doesn't make them bad people. You can lose your license over many reasons. Personally, I think if that should not be the only thing stopping you from giving the guy a chance.
  • miss_ally08
    miss_ally08 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have always dated people with a license so I never had that problem. However, I never had my license till this year. No, its not because I lost it due to reckless driving, its cause I have vision in only one eye due to premature birth so it took me longer but I have it now (and no just because I have vision in one eye, it doesn't mean I'm a hazard on the road! I drive better than people with regular vision... IE: People who never use their directional, people who cut across parking lots to be cute and don't bother to look for the people who are driving the right way, people who veer into the lane cause of who knows what reasons! Etc...). My now-husband, bless his heart - I didn't have a license when we first started dating but he knew that before we dated and funny thing it bothered him at first but after awhile, he knew my reasons and never pushed me and let me do it on my own.

All in all, I care more about a person's character and how they treat me as a person than whether or not they have a license. A person in due time can always acquire a license but you can't change a person if their an *kitten*!! :)
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    What could possibly go wrong?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Dated someone, married him... I drove at first, now he has his llicence back and he drives me everywhere.
  • maddmaddie
    maddmaddie Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Yeaaahhhhh, you will probably end up becoming a taxi for the person....
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    No.

Any grown man (i.e., my age, 50-ish) who doesn't have a driver's license must have something seriously wrong with him. I don't need that.
  • bisland
    bisland Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Been there. Done that. Not going there again. Ever. Pick a man with a job, a car, (a license), and treats his mother with respect. For starters...

good advice
  • Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Ok, just wondering, if you met someone that was awesome but had no license** from a mistake made years ago, would you be able to date them if everything else in their life was right on track?

**Spelling the word license wrong probably did not help my case. **runs and hides**

Probably a deal breaker. About a week of me picking them up or driving them around would get old. I'd have to send them walking.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I agree. Knowing how to spell 'license' would probably be more important to me. Just sayin.

I am almost 41 and that is one of the hardest words for me. Thank God for spellcheck, it is a real lifesaver for us dyslexics. (but doesn't always work on the ipad)

I got my license when I was 19, because the guy I was dating (27 at the time and is now my husband)- said he'd want his wife to have her license, in case they had kids and that had to be taken to the doctors... well, we had 3 boys and I spent a LOT of time driving to the ER and the doctor's office!

that doesn't really answer your question, but I think I would be be super cautious, make sure he had learned his lesson and wasn't apt to do the same things.
  • gwensylvia
    Options
    I would want to carefully consider all the reasons why he doesn't have it. The love of my life is legally blind and can't drive. It was a really BIG DEAL for several months and I had to come to terms with it. I learned it's about the wonderful man he is and not whether he can see or drive....