Runners-toenail HELP!!

I have heard that runners occasionally lose toenails. I just never thought it would happen to me.
Tonight while I was soaking in a nice hot bath I washed my foot and my toenail peeled all the way back about a diagonal one third of the nail. The worst part is that is is still partly attached. I am completely creeped out.

More importantly though how should I handle this. Should I try to carefully peel the nail off? Should I wrap it in tape? Just let nature take it's course? Has anyone ever died of losing a toenail? I might just from the creepiness of it all.

And for the record. I do have great fitting shoes which were sized at a running store. My toes never rub my shoes. I wear really good running socks which I change after a run.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Replies

• MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Ewwwwwie. Sorry, I know I'm not being helpful at all.... lol!

Is it bruised at all, like when you slam your finger in a truck door waving to a friend? :) oh wait, that's me!

Personally, I wouldn't tear any more off, and just let nature take its course. Do you think it will come back weaker, or stronger? I'm completely baffled..... I've never heard of this!
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Clip it as far back as you can then bandaid it and please keep socks on... jk you can paint the skin(nail polish) once it heals a bit and most guys (myself) will never notice.
  • Sherylmarlee
    Sherylmarlee Posts: 224 Member
    Has anyone ever died of losing a toenail? I might just from the creepiness of it all.

^^^^^LOVE THIS!!! Lol

I would let nature take its course. It's a badge of honor to an elite club! Welcome! We have candy here. ;-)
  • tejasmh87
    tejasmh87 Posts: 91 Member
    I have yet to have this happen to me due to running but I would clip away the detached part. If you rip it completely off it might bleed and worse get infected.

Just let nature take its course, nails can and usually do grown back. If snagging on socks is a concern I'd tape it over during the day but give it time to "air" in the evening.

Bumping so others can chime in! Any more wisdom guys and gals?
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    ^^^^ Love it! I lost 4 of them during my marathon training. My big toe on my left foot is still black. Welcome to the club!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,319 Member
    :noway: I hate when that happens. I'd just bandage around the whole thing, keep changing it, it will let go when it's ready....and, also, ew. Poor you.

I'm about to lose a fingernail because I was stoopid and pick up a Dungeness Crab way back in May or June who got hold of my finger tip with a claw. Thought I was gonna die. It's taken this long to actually disconnect. He/she punctured the nail and the finger, little MFer.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    My daughter has been training to run a marathon for two years. A lot of 5k's, 10k's, 1/2 marathons, and 20 mile runs so far. The big day is this coming Sunday. So far, she has lost 3 toenails, and is still alive and kicking :)
    She is doing all the right things as well, good fitting shoes and socks and taking good care of her feet. She told me that it is part of the deal with running a lot of miles. Unbelievable caluses as well.
    I never asked her whether or not she pulls them off or waits until they fall off, but I am going to now.
    Good Luck to you!
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Oh my stars, I didn't know you could lose toenails from running! I run, but not as hard core as any of you folks! Maybe I need to step it up?!
    Good luck, sorry I don't have any advice!:flowerforyou:
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    I lost my first one in August. Just cut it back to where it is still connected. It'll feel weird for a day or two and than you won't even notice it.
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,035 Member
    I have unfortunately lost a toenail or two (4 to be exact :grumble: ). I usually wrap it until it is peeling off most of the way and then just tug it off. My toenails that are still attached are black and blue- gotta love runners toes :blushing:
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Ewwwwwie. Sorry, I know I'm not being helpful at all.... lol!

Is it bruised at all, like when you slam your finger in a truck door waving to a friend? :) oh wait, that's me!

Personally, I wouldn't tear any more off, and just let nature take its course. Do you think it will come back weaker, or stronger? I'm completely baffled..... I've never heard of this!

Yep Kelly, that sounds like you. Just kidding!!
    I think it was kind of bruised. I usually have them painted black and I noticed a couple times when I took the polish off it was dark under my nail. I thought maybe some dye had gotten under the nail bed. I realized it might be more than that but refused to admit it. Now they are painted a deep burgundy and I am afraid to take it off. I am afraid the remover may burn the tender skin underneath.
    My son was thinking I was being a baby until he finally looked. Then he just shuddered and turned away.
  • NicolePatriot
    NicolePatriot Posts: 621 Member
    No idea what you should do, I just want to see a picture!!!!
  • MindyBlack
    I have unfortunately lost a toenail or two (4 to be exact :grumble: ). I usually wrap it until it is peeling off most of the way and then just tug it off. My toenails that are still attached are black and blue- gotta love runners toes :blushing:

Thanks for the help. That sounds like a reasonable plan. Have you used nail polish remover while it was coming off? If so, did it sting?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    I've never lost a toenail from running, after 12 marathons (and another one this Sunday). Do you buy your shoes a size up? Feet swell over long distances, so even though you may not feel it all the time, your shoes could be too small. I wear a size 9 but always buy a 10 in running shoes for this reason.

If you are buying your shoes a size up, do you happen to be running a lot of steep downhills? Black/missing toenails are usually a problem of ultra runners who run a lot of mountain trails...its the downhills that causes the loss.

I have, however, lost a toenail because I'm a clutz. Just clip it back as far as you can without it bleeding, bandage it during the day and air it out at night.
  • MindyBlack
    No idea what you should do, I just want to see a picture!!!!

HAHA, you can't see it through the nail polish unless you are super close up. If/when it comes off more I will take a pic for you.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Hasn't happened to me. But I heard about this ultra runner who had his toenails removed cause he got tired of them falling off. True story!
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    I had that happen to me in February. It creeped me out and I almost went into shock (yeah I couldn't work in the medical field). I had to have hubby cut it back as far as he could. I wore a band aide over it for months because I couldn't stand the sight of it. It was very sensitive for several days after. I believe it took about 4/5 months before it grew completely out and I wasn't embarrassed anymore.
  • mommaj2006
    mommaj2006 Posts: 5 Member
    For in the future what seems to help me...proper sized shoes, which sounds as if you already have them is you fitted at a running store. Also I keep them very short at all times. those two things seem to be the best things that work for me...Good Luck!!! I let my big toe nail get a little too long about 3 weeks ago and got a blister under the nail as it was taking a beating during my run. Needless to say my toenail is still not the same :/
  • bimpski
    bimpski Posts: 176 Member
    i went to a podiatrist for a bad toe. i thought for sure i had a fungus, one of my toe nails was all black and got real thick. there was also a very heavy callus on the end of the toe. to gross you out even more, yes my second toe is a little bit longer than my big toe. well the doctor took one look at it and said "what did you do to your toe?". he said it looked like classic runners toe. well, surprise, surprise, I DON'T RUN! i walk. all the time. i thought i had well fitting shoes, but apparently not. i ended up going to a sports store that not only fit me to the right size, they watched me walk and matched me to the correct type of shoe. i haven't any problem since. but my toe nail never fell off.