LENT IS UPON US

Options
xXmimiXx
xXmimiXx Posts: 564 Member
HI everyone :D

Just wondered if anyone was giving up anything for lent? I'm giving up sweet AND chocolate oh lord!

Mikhaila

Replies

• laurenashley923
    Options
    im giving up chocolate also and making sure i pray every night :)
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Wine and salty snack foods (chips, pickles, pretzels, ect). I'll be praying more often than normal because it will only be though His grace that I make it through.
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    comlpetely forgot about this.. sooooooo.. ill give up chocolate - All kinds.. white, dark and milk. NO CHEATING!
    Ill still have sweets.. but no choccy!!
  • rubberjonnie
    Options
    i have gone for chocolate too... going to be a killer especially chocky bikkies but easier than coffee... so roll on the daily double expresso's....
  • nurseandi
    Options
    CANDY! :(
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up salty snacks--and will be more consistent with my prayers.
  • Nikki143
    Nikki143 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    i HAVEN'T DECIDED TO GIVE ANYTHING UP, BUT I DEFF GOT MY ASHES TODAY
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    my plan is to improve my temperment. I am really not too bad if I am excercising and eating right...sooo as a way of fighting the vice and practice virtue I plan to give up on the processed food thing. Whole grains only, beans, legumes, fruits, vegies, meats, eggs and dairy, in as pure a form as possible. Plus, excericse calms me. I hate to do it but it is very calming.

I also hope to pray more and attend morning Mass at least 3 or 4 extra days per week.

and lest we forget...the Sacrament of Confession.

DD
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I am cutting back on diet pop. I will let myself have 2 a week. I don't do well with the all or nothing approach. I crash and burn and then feel terrible. Our biggest lent sacrifice is giving up our friday night or weekend eating out. We are going away in 10 days for a surprise to take the kids to Great Wolf Lodge so we will have to eat out there, but otherwise we will forgo eating out.
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    Chocolate.....it is my one true vice........i give it up every year and it SUCKS.......and then no meat today or any friday during lent.... Although, this year, with easter being done so early, I will actually get to have chocolate cake on my birthday...sometimes lent falls during then so i dont get to enjoy it.......this year I will!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up snacking. I'm going to eat 3 meals per day and nothing between 8 and 8.
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Chocolate.....it is my one true vice........i give it up every year and it SUCKS.......and then no meat today or any friday during lent.... Although, this year, with easter being done so early, I will actually get to have chocolate cake on my birthday...sometimes lent falls during then so i dont get to enjoy it.......this year I will!

We don't eat meat on fridays either :) (or today).
  • xXmimiXx
    xXmimiXx Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    :happy: I´m glad so many people are giving something up! True test for me giving up chocolate and sweets but I think I can do it! Good luck everyone :heart:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who doesn't observe Lent? I always thought it was a Jewish tradition. :ohwell:
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are giving up drinking monday thu thursday and no meat on fridays.

This should help my weight loss journey immensley.

I'm jewnish and the hubby is catholic.

Lent is VERY catholic. Today is ash wednesday.
  • cecilsmom
    Options
    no you're not the only one that don't observe it I don't either. Actually there are many denoms that observe Lent.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who doesn't observe Lent? I always thought it was a Jewish tradition. :ohwell:

It's Catholic...of which I am not, but I use this time to be closer to God.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I just looked on Wikipedia because I wasn't sure who observed Lent. I know I never did, but I just found out that my religion does.
    My parents were absolute pagans!!:laugh:
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I was raised Catholic, changed to a Baptist church and then joined a Presbyterian church when my children were young (I consider ALL of us to be Christian!)--they all observed the Lenten season in some way.
  • hdelamore
    hdelamore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up sweets and chocolates
    going to be so hard :/
    especially as it's my sisters 30th soon and she's going to have a massive chcocolate cake =[
    give me strength