October is National Anti-Bullying Month

Options
2»

Replies

• fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    OMG EVERY FREAKIN' MONTH IS OVERBOOKED!!!! I THOUGHT IT WAS BREAST CANCER AWARENESS MONTH!! FFS I CAN'T KEEP UP!

It's also Domestic Violence Awareness month too... sigh... Are people just trying to throw a wet blanket on Halloween fun or something? What's wrong with the other 11 months?
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    And I know I'm the ***** here...but he didn't say anything untrue. Since when is stating facts considered "bullying"?

Sorry I gotta disagree. If you bothered to watch the video, she clearly stated that she was AWARE she was overweight...maybe it doesn't quite fit our general image of bullying, but being cruel/unkind is not ok.

If I have a family member who is overweight and I'm concerned about them, I might speak to them about it (in my case, I WAS the overweight person), out of concern for their health...but to call out a total stranger for absolutely no reason except to be cruel? Not my thing. Did the writer of the email truly think that he was doing her a favor, that his words would somehow make her run out and drop 20 pounds? How does he (or any of us who don't know her) know whether she's trying to be healthy?

I have a friend who's lost over 150 pounds in the past 2 years...she runs half marathons with me and is amazing, but she is still overweight and struggling every d*mn day to lose another 60 or so pounds...and people still give her a hard time about her weight--people who don't know a THING about her or what she's accomplished in the past 2 years. What gives any of them the right to say a word about her size or to assume she's lazy and isn't working toward a healthy life?

No, I think the writer of the email decided to use his anonymity behind the computer screen to be cruel and unkind...that's his "first amendment" right to free speech...and it was Ms. Livingston's right to respond with a message of assertion and strength.

Just because you "can" say something...doesn't mean you should.
  • Elzecat
    Options
    OMG EVERY FREAKIN' MONTH IS OVERBOOKED!!!! I THOUGHT IT WAS BREAST CANCER AWARENESS MONTH!! FFS I CAN'T KEEP UP!

It's also Domestic Violence Awareness month too... sigh... Are people just trying to throw a wet blanket on Halloween fun or something? What's wrong with the other 11 months?

Being kind doesn't mean being a "wet blanket."

You're still allowed to have your Halloween fun. Carry on. :drinker:
  • Elzecat
    Options
    I don't think it is anti-bullying month in my nation.

It's ok. You can still participate...LOL. :wink:

PS Is that a silverback in your profile photo? Beautiful.

It is a silver leaf monkey. The picture was taken in Sarawak, Borneo.

Sorry, the picture was kind of small and I wasn't sure. Pretty silver leaf monkey! :flowerforyou:
  • MattTheWaterRat
    MattTheWaterRat Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    There should be a calendar that has ever BS holiday or BS month. On second thought, the crap keeps coming no matter what. You'd have to make a new edition every other day.

Example, tomorrow is the anniversery of Roy Horn being attacked by a tiger. Let's call tomorrow, International Tiger Mauling Day, or maybe even White Homophobic Tiger Day.
  • Elzecat
    Options
    There should be a calendar that has ever BS holiday or BS month. On second thought, the crap keeps coming no matter what. You'd have to make a new edition every other day.

Example, tomorrow is the anniversery of Roy Horn being attacked by a tiger. Let's call tomorrow, International Tiger Mauling Day, or maybe even White Homophobic Tiger Day.

Thank you for your useful contribution to this topic...?
  • Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options

How did you know I was a KISS fan? :flowerforyou: :glasses:

Thanks for that. I am a fan of the No H8 campaign.

I like you! :) FUK H8! All the way!
  • Elzecat
    Options
    Sad that many people found it necessary to troll the thread and make jokes. I liked the message in the video and related messages at the "NO H8" website and was hoping to have a positive impact and encourage others to be kind to one another...that's more important to me than making a clever remark. Lots of wit and cleverness on this thread, not so much empathy or caring as I'd like to put forth in this world.

Maybe setting aside a month to talk about bullying, to emphasize kindness and caring, especially in our young people, is silly. Maybe it doesn't matter to you because you were never hurt by others' words or actions and you never saw it happen to your friends or your children. Maybe you just have other things that are more important to you, that's ok. Some people seem to think that bullying doesn't exist, that people who complain of being bullied are somehow weak or lesser than...I was actually NOT bullied as a kid, I was teased on occasion, but not to the extremes that some people have had to deal with. But I was taught to be kind to others and look past the physical/outward appearance to see the real person and to stand up for those who needed help, who might not be able to stand up for themselves for whatever reason...I think it's made me a kinder, more empathetic adult and I am glad that's who I am.

To those who responded positively and sent emails/posts of encouragement, thank you and peace out.
  • Elzecat
    Options

How did you know I was a KISS fan? :flowerforyou: :glasses:

Thanks for that. I am a fan of the No H8 campaign.

I like you! :) FUK H8! All the way!

I bet you'll look amazing at your next Sturgis Rally (checked out your profile)! My best friend actually lives in Rapid City and rides a Harley...
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjXdRGCRxkQ

this is what should happen to all bully's
  • Elzecat
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjXdRGCRxkQ

this is what should happen to all bully's

I know it was wrong to laugh...but I did anyway. Thanks!
  • HeatherPH
    HeatherPH Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    For a site that conveys a message of support, acceptance, and inclusion, there's an awful lot of BS and just plain arrogance around these forums. I would have thought you'd receive a more positive response from people who seem to have a lot to lose themselves and have likely been on the receiving on of bullying in their lifetimes, but no, all you get is snide, useless comments that belittle others. And on an anti-bullying thread! Oh, the irony. I hope it makes you feel really great about yourself.

I think it was a great post, Photogrrl, and I, for one, welcome it!
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't every month and every day be an anti-bllying month/day?
  • Elzecat
    Options
    Shouldn't every month and every day be an anti-bullying month/day?

Yes! Agreed...just pointing out the video of the news anchor, which I thought was timely, in light of the "official designation" of October as Anti-Bullying Month (in USA anyway)
  • davidmdebs
    Options
    In support of Bullying Prevention Awareness Month we want to direct attention to the evidence based approaches to prevent bullying developed over fifteen years through federally funded research done by 3C-ISD.

Please feel free to use any of this information if it supports anything you may be doing this month related to bullying prevention or contact us if you would like to interview one of our doctors or researchers.

SELmedia, in collaboration with the 3-C Institute for Social Development, created an online workshop to help educators deal with bullying and identify social isolates (children who are rejected by their peers). The workshop also explores the relationship between social skills and bullying.

This workshop normally sells for $39.95 but you can “purchase” a one week subscription at no cost using the discount code ISOLATE at check out.

There is no credit card necessary to move through the purchase. Use the discount code ISOLATE and P.O. Number ISOLATE at check out.

At the conclusion of the workshop, participants should be able to:
    • Identify children who are socially isolated and describe the connection between social isolation and bully and victim behavior.
    • Describe the short-term and long-term consequences of social isolation.
    • Explain the core social skills all children need to develop to avoid isolation from peers.
    • Describe strategies that school personnel can apply to teach and reinforce these core social skills

http://www.selmediainc.com/specialoffer

Please feel free to share this information with everyone.

Regards,

David Debs
  • emilydumarce
    emilydumarce Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    okay seriously???!!! i am from lacrosse and i grew up watching her. so let me just copy what i reiterated from my facebook. because i am sick and tired of seeing this in the news. and people calling jennifer a "hero". its ridiculous if you ask me.

i have to be honest, i do not agree 100% with this jennifer livingston thing. i believe she is very courageous for standing up to the guy and that does make her a good role model. HOWEVER i believe he had good intentions, and his letter was written respectfully and eloquently. no it is not healthy to be over weight, but no it was none of his business either. people i know with thyroid problems, menopause n injuries still maintain their weight, so can you. and it is not responsibile to show our children unhealthy lifestyle habits. ya'll can hate me for sayin this but im sure there are others out there who agree.
  • Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I know we talk about this endlessly and I am sure to see "beating a dead horse" memes on this thread, but I am tired of people (women, in particular) belittling each other for their size. I find MyFitnessPal overall to be a great support site for healthy living...but it seems we still have this need to hurt one another with our words. You can be proud of who you are, what you look like, what your shape is, WITHOUT belittling or insulting someone else. I am trying to live positively and share that with others...so in light of many recent forum threads about whether guys like "curvy" vs. "stick figure" women (paraphrasing) that become nothing but a forum for namecalling and unkindness towards anyone "different:"

http://www.upworthy.com/bully-calls-news-anchor-fat-news-anchor-destroys-him-on-live-tv?g=2

Kindness MATTERS.

Please pass it forward.

Thank you,

Ellen aka photogrrl

Is a person a bully if they beat the he!! out of a bully?
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    How is it that lately every month, week, and day seems to be anti-bullying month, week, or day?

^^This

I think it's about time I'm going to stop giving a hoot about anti-bullying.

I like the new profile pic.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options

Is a person a bully if they beat the he!! out of a bully?

Two negatives equal a positive therefore No!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later.