Six Pack

Options
momiq
momiq Posts: 6 Member
Does anybody have any tips/tricks to get a 6 pack in a short period of time?? eating/workout techniques would be appreciated.

Replies

• fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't expect to wake up one morning and suddenly have a six pack...it's definitely something that takes hard work and dedication, not only to abdominal exercise, but to nutrition as well.

P90X has strengthened my core better than any other workout regimen I have tried. The nutrition has been on point for fat loss too. I also recommend Insanity. I'm new to the Insanity program but I'm starting to see results super fast.

If all you're looking for are some exercises - start doing pushups every day, and a lot of them. I spent a lot of time doing different kinds of crunches with no success, but it wasn't until I started doing pushups where I really started seeing drastic improvements in my core :)

Good luck!
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I've started using an iPhone app called "6 pack promise". It's pretty good, but I feel I could push myself even more. I liked P90X and will give that a try again, too. In general, getting that 6-pack means doing ab workouts and getting to a low % body fat. If you want it, you can get it!
  • shimewazaMan
    Options
    I am still working on the fat loss piece so you can see the muscles I've built up. But I can definitely feel that I have a tight six pack under that layer of fat. As far as building up a good set of ab muscles, using an ab wheel did wonders for me. I've never had good tone in my abs. Now when my wife or son hits me in the gut (just playing around of course), they can believe how hard my stomach is. If you've never heard of an ab wheel or don't know how to use one, check out the following video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl_Hp1Wf52k
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Grab a medicine ball (6-10lbs) and do 4 sets of 25 sit ups while extending your arms above your head on the down and arms between your legs on the up holding the ball for 4 weeks, thats how I got my six pack and 3 sets of 60 flutter kicks
  • momiq
    momiq Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys - I super appreciate your advice. I will definitely try all of your recommendations!!
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Does anybody have any tips/tricks to get a 6 pack in a short period of time?? eating/workout techniques would be appreciated.

There is this new amazing thing called hard work, you can find it at your local gym :p

but seriously there is no such thing ... takes hard work
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Hard work and A CLEAN DIET!
  • shimewazaMan
    Options

There is this new amazing thing called hard work, you can find it at your local gym :p

I don't think she was asking for sarcasm ... or a magic pill. She was just asking for workout and/or diet suggestions that people have found effective. I'm really getting tired of the rudeness and sarcasm on these forums.
  • MissKatie_J
    MissKatie_J Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    "Abs are made in the kitchen." This is absolute truth. EVERYONE has abs beneath the layer of fat. Eating a very clean diet, drinking at least a gallon of water a day, and watch your sodium. For me, I wouldn't eat complex or starchy carbs for 4-5 hours before I went to bed. For women especially, abs are typically the last muscle group to 'pop' because of the low body fat that is needed to have them show. Men have a lower natural body fat composition that allows for them to show more easily. Good luck and stay the course!
  • slshaw23
    slshaw23 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I second that....about the rudeness and sarcasm....These forums are for support...goes back to the old saying if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say it at all! :happy:
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

takes a long *kitten* time... when i first started working out im like "oh il have a six pack by summer time" like thinking il be unbelievably shredded didnt happen not even close... the pick i have there is after two years of progress with steady diet and workout regemin and im not even close to where i want to be..

back on a leaner bulk now so i guess next summer it is!

but here are some tips i can give you for what has helped me

#1 Diet is everything... i mean EVERYTHING
    #2 you need to do anaerobic activity though resistance training or some sort of HIIT cardio
    #3 its a matter of lowering body fat and not about any type of ab exercises... ab exercises are important but they dont get you lean and shredded... spend most of the time that you would doing abs running or swimming if you want quicker results.
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options

takes a long *kitten* time... when i first started working out im like "oh il have a six pack by summer time" like thinking il be unbelievably shredded didnt happen not even close... the pick i have there is after two years of progress with steady diet and workout regemin and im not even close to where i want to be..

#2 you need to do anaerobic activity though resistance training or some sort of HIIT cardio
    #3 its a matter of lowering body fat and not about any type of ab exercises... ab exercises are important but they dont get you lean and shredded... spend most of the time that you would doing abs running or swimming if you want quicker results.

^This. You must lower BF% to a low enough number to see them. Strength training will help you maintain muscle mass so you are not too thin at a low BF%. It goes slower and takes longer the closer you get to this goal. There is less margin for error so you must weigh your food and be honest with yourself about calorie consumption. Accuracy is crucial.

Unless you are genetically predisposed to a low BF% it requires some level of OCD (or so my wife says about me). You already have abs, the trick is uncovering them. I think I am about 15 lbs from my six pack goal and I expect it to take me until Spring to get there. Slow and steady to lose FAT and not just lose WEIGHT. Toss the scale and get some calipers if you don't have them already. Even with calipers, don't sweat the BF% conversion...concern yourself with skinfold thickness going down. Keep your eyes on the prize.

Best of luck.
  • LisaWilson2012
    LisaWilson2012 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You can build the muscle underneath your belly fat as much as you like but until you shed the weight covering your abs you wont see a thing! Belly fat (particularly for women) is one of the last things to go when losing fat.

Good luck though xxx
  • jsjaclark
    jsjaclark Posts: 303
    Options

Besides what others have said, you could try Jillian Michaels 6 week 6 pack (or Killer Abs - this one is new and I haven't tried it yet). Despite the title, it works your arms and legs too. It is a mix of cardio and exercises designed to work your core. Depending on your starting point, I don't know if you will have the 6 pack in 6 weeks, but I definitely saw results moving me in that direction.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I don't think she was asking for sarcasm ... or a magic pill. She was just asking for workout and/or diet suggestions that people have found effective. I'm really getting tired of the rudeness and sarcasm on these forums.

Lol
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's hard damn work, and damn hard to maintain too. Took me about 3 months to get a faint sixer and took me 3 days to lose it at Xmas.

As has been mentioned, the closer it gets, the more exacting you have to be with your diet. The last 3 or 4 weeks as you're getting close, you need to be on point 24/7 with no cheats at all to trick your body into burning that last bit of fat.

Of course, the abs are a muscle group the same as any other so to grow them you'll need to train at maintenance or a slight surplus of calories, but then you'll have to switch to a pretty tightly managed deficit to force your body to drop the fat down to the abnormal levels required for the muscles to really pop through.
  • take steroids and stop eating like a fatty
  • zebisis
    zebisis Posts: 157
    Options
    take steroids and stop eating like a fatty

Really?? You are a super sweetheart. o.O
  • Erykah3584
    Erykah3584 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Bump! Lots of good advice. :smile:
  • AvgJ0e
    AvgJ0e Posts: 6
    Options

Well said
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!