Winter is coming....walking isn't an option. HELP!!

Options
I'm 35 and in need of some weight loss! I did pretty good in the summer time because it's light late and I could walk after the kids were taken care of and in bed. I have 2 very busy kids that have activities most every day of the week. I have to have my son to school at 6:30am and I don't get off work until 6pm. By the time I pick everyone up, feed them, and get them in bed, it's usually 9pm. By then it's too late to go out walking, plus it's starting to get cold out.
I need some ideas on activities I can do to lose some weight. If I'm not exercising, I tend to slack on the eating right too. I'm not very athletic, but I do have a treadmill, which gets sooooo boring!!!

Any ideas?

Replies

• emilygh1974
    emilygh1974 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    That's why they make coats and earmuffs. Also *workout videos, weights, jump rope (I do this indoors on rainy days), yoga classes, dance around like a maniac to some great music on an iPod...
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    hi, can you walk during lunch?
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I would love a treadmill!
  • djtulppo
    djtulppo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone walking tapes are really good for inside walking. There are different distances on the tapes fo you can do it as long as you want or as little as you want. I put it on music only because sometimes her constant talking drives me nuts! LOL Good Luck.
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    hi, can you walk during lunch?

I totally agree. I use to walk during my 2-15 minutes breaks and 30 minutes during my lunch hour and I could tell a difference in two weeks. There are plenty of exercises you can do at home. Push-ups, sit-ups, high-knees, jumping jacks etc. If you want it, you will fit it in your busy schedule. Good Luck!
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    go to you tube
    find some vids you like, there are plenty to choose from.
    my favorites are :
    butt bible,
    Tiffany Rothe
    Pop pilates
    Jillian Michaels 30 day shred.

you can do all of those indoors, and dont need any equipment. (u can use jugs of milk / tins if you need weights.

i find with the days getting colder, doing even 10 min video gets me nice and warm , which saves on heating bills
  • Denise1102
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the ideas! I can exercise during lunch when I don't have things to do. My job often requires a bunch of errand running during my lunch. I'll try some of the video ideas. I know a lot of my problem is will power too. Just so tired some times all I want to do is lay down. I'm just gonna have to fight through that and do something!

Thanks again all!!
  • B1gH0g
    B1gH0g Posts: 361
    Options
    I think you need to find new ways enjoy your treadmill. it seems to be ideal for your situation. I usually pop in a movie, as i need scenery. Sometimes, I run a movie, but crank up music. Set your treadmill time into 30 minute increments, that will help too.
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Gym membership, exercise videos (free online or DVDs or ONDEMAND or Netflix), Zumba or pilates classes (not at the gym, just in a studio). My gym membership is $10/month (plus $50 year fee but...whatever). Try finding somewhere cheap. You don't need anything fancy...my gym sure isn't. YMCA's have gyms too!
  • Sass_It_Is
    Sass_It_Is Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you have a busy life style you've already walked all day. Shock that butt and thighs and do some squats. You can do those in your living room. You can also do it with the kids. They will love it and feel like they are involved.
  • debbiekuhn123
    debbiekuhn123 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    getting colder here too & im just adding more layers of clothes on, ive still got to go out take my toddler to play groups, go grocery shopping, town etc..
    Theres no way im going to let the cold/winter stop me from losing this fat, ive used too many excuses in the past.
  • HealthylivingTIG
    HealthylivingTIG Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Buy a jump rope.
  • ImaFitMormon
    ImaFitMormon Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    http://www.makefatcry.com/products-i-love/ I have a Leslie Sansone video on here. It's called walking at home. LOVE IT! You can add weights to improve and make the workout more difficult.
  • Yummamamma
    Yummamamma Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    you tube is my new BFF
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Find ways to exercise during your children's activities. For example I sometimes walk or run during my son's baseball practices....as a bonus, there are sometimes other parents willing to join me! Also, work in as many exercise opportunities in your workday as possible. I usually park a couple of blocks from the courthouse on days I am in court and always take the stairs wherever I am going. Finally, check with churches or malls in your areas. They sometimes are open extra hours to allow for walkers inside their buildings. uhm....I guess I would limit that to churches with gyms or family recreation centers. I wouldn't suggest parading around the sanctuary. :-)
  • ndblades
    ndblades Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue -- I love outdoors, even in the winter, but I dont' live in town, so unless a full moon with snow on the ground, I have to stay indoors. I have a treadmill and elliptical ,,,but get bored, so found that if I do 10-15 minutes, then break to do some pilates -- it really helps to make it better.... late night is hard too, I am doing a plank challenge now -and as I go to each bedroom to tuck my kids in, I have them count while I plank - my oldest daughter who gets tucked in last, will do it with me. We did some other things as well together -- made it a lot more fun!

I used to have an hour lunch at my last job, and joined the gym- I was extremely busy and always worked through lunch -- but I forced myself to take that "break" and it did wonders for me! Unfortuneatley now I only have 30 minutes, and my job is a few miles out of town, so no longer an option!
  • marcusg23
    Options
    Here is something I found a while back, for working out during commercials:
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/assets/uploads/commercial_infographic.jpg
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! Subbing to follow. :)
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone walking tapes are really good for inside walking. There are different distances on the tapes fo you can do it as long as you want or as little as you want. I put it on music only because sometimes her constant talking drives me nuts! LOL Good Luck.

^ This is what I have started doing with the weather changing. So far I really like it. Most are available on youtube to take a look at before you decide to buy them.
  • sarebear97
    sarebear97 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love doing the walk at home video's by Leslie Sansone. You can put the kids to bed and do a mile in 14 minutes or so!