Do you have any helpful tips on eating right?

Options
I'm just wondering if there's any tips on what I should/shouldn't be eating / drinking

For example my mom says "No eating after 7 pm" sounds a but silly but, it's one of her rules.

So is there any tips that you find useful? :smile:

Thanks

Replies

• elle0567
    Options
    Just went to a well being seminar this past Saturday. We should all be cutting sugar out of our diets...difficult to do at first, but like anything else, once you get used to it you're good to go!

Good luck!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    The "no eating after 7" is a wife's tale. The only reason people say that is because most of mindless eating happens after 7. My rule is not to take the whole bag of snacks to the couch while watching tv...if you take a serving you eat a serving.

Choose foods baked over fried. Choose whole foods (whole grain, lean meats, fresh veggies/fruits, etc) over processed things (frozen meals, boxed dinners, etc). I find it helpful to eat every 2-3 hours. When I was losing, I planned my food log a day ahead and was prepared the day before food wise for the day after. Some people can't be this regimented but it worked wonders for me!

Also, I when eating out I avoided (and still do) appetizers and desserts. I just ordered a main dish and boxed half before I even started eating. Typically 1/2 of what they give you is a serving. Eat slowly so your body has a chance to tell you it's full.
  • sadein
    sadein Posts: 40
    Options
    There really are no hard and fast rules and you will get many different answers as to timing. People in Europe routinely eat after 7 and their obesity rates are much lower than hours. It's what you eat that's important.

Eliminate processed foods, use whole foods as much as possible. Watch your sugar and fat intake. Get moving, muscle burns more calories than fat, get your %body fat down. Using the food calculator on this website is a great way to see if you are eating too many calories. I use it when I've gotten off track and need a wake-up call.

Healthy, whole foods will fill you up faster that processed foods and protein will help you keep from getting hungry. After a while you will notice that you feel better and that is great incentive to continue.
  • Roseygirl1
    Roseygirl1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    This is a great question!

I am fascinated by nutrition and read a great deal about it. There are a lot of controversies out there in the science of nutrition, but there are a few principles of healthful eating that are pretty standard.

1. Eat your vegetables. A wide variety of all colors: red, orange, dark green, purple, yellow. The powerhouse of the vegetable world, hands-down, is kale. It has more nutrients per calorie than any other food, but all colorful vegetables serve you well.

2. Eliminate unhealthy fats, primarily trans-fats. These are in processed foods. Look on the ingredient lists for words like "partially hydrogenated oil" and avoid like the plague. These fats are the ones highly associated with heart disease. Trans fats are also in foods that are deep fried in soybean or vegetable oil, as these oils break down with prolonged heat into trans-fats.

3. Eat more fish that are sustainably caught, and low on mercury contamination, especially fish like salmon, artic char, sardines and herrings. These have omega 3 fatty acids that decrease inflammation and are heart healthy. If you are vegetarian or vegan consume freshly ground flaxseed or hempseed and their oils.

The rest of these suggestions are ones that not everybody agrees on, but I choose for myself based on my studies:

4. Eat eggs from poultry that are truly free range and eat bugs. The yolks of your eggs should be dark yellow to orange. The deeper the color, the more nutrients.

5. Ideally, any meat you consume should be from animals that are free range or grassfed. These foods have better omega 3 to omega 6 ratios and are better for you.

6. Eat some fruit, but not too much
    especially berries, melons and citrus, which have less sugar and more nutrients.

7. Consider using high quality coconut oil for some of your fat intake. Coconut oil is antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral and also is metabolized uniquely for a fat. (I guess tropical conditions would make a plant that grows there antifungal because of the moisture!)

8. Exercise is the fountain of youth. Get some activity every day.

9. Avoid most processed foods as much as possible. Read labels.

(Read The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan for an interesting introduction into modern processed foods)

Susie
  • tracypk
    tracypk Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    This is a great question!

I am fascinated by nutrition and read a great deal about it. There are a lot of controversies out there in the science of nutrition, but there are a few principles of healthful eating that are pretty standard.

1. Eat your vegetables. A wide variety of all colors: red, orange, dark green, purple, yellow. The powerhouse of the vegetable world, hands-down, is kale. It has more nutrients per calorie than any other food, but all colorful vegetables serve you well.

2. Eliminate unhealthy fats, primarily trans-fats. These are in processed foods. Look on the ingredient lists for words like "partially hydrogenated oil" and avoid like the plague. These fats are the ones highly associated with heart disease. Trans fats are also in foods that are deep fried in soybean or vegetable oil, as these oils break down with prolonged heat into trans-fats.

3. Eat more fish that are sustainably caught, and low on mercury contamination, especially fish like salmon, artic char, sardines and herrings. These have omega 3 fatty acids that decrease inflammation and are heart healthy. If you are vegetarian or vegan consume freshly ground flaxseed or hempseed and their oils.

The rest of these suggestions are ones that not everybody agrees on, but I choose for myself based on my studies:

4. Eat eggs from poultry that are truly free range and eat bugs. The yolks of your eggs should be dark yellow to orange. The deeper the color, the more nutrients.

5. Ideally, any meat you consume should be from animals that are free range or grassfed. These foods have better omega 3 to omega 6 ratios and are better for you.

6. Eat some fruit, but not too much
    especially berries, melons and citrus, which have less sugar and more nutrients.

7. Consider using high quality coconut oil for some of your fat intake. Coconut oil is antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral and also is metabolized uniquely for a fat. (I guess tropical conditions would make a plant that grows there antifungal because of the moisture!)

8. Exercise is the fountain of youth. Get some activity every day.

9. Avoid most processed foods as much as possible. Read labels.

(Read The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan for an interesting introduction into modern processed foods)

Susie

This is some great information. Thank you for sharing.