Turbo Jam vs. Turbo Fire vs. Chalean Extreme

Options
Just starting a new workout routine and to give you a bit of background - I'm 5'8 and fairly average weight but I'm looking to lose a few lbs and gain some muscle. What do you suggest between the three? It has been a while since I've rigorously worked out and I am looking to pick up on a good workout routine!

Replies

• Crisitunity
    Crisitunity Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Turbo Jam was nice but not very intense. Turbo Fire makes less sense to me and the routines seem less intuitive, but I think it's a better burn and a more serious work out. Chalean Extreme I haven't done, but it's just weight lifting, right? I don't think you really -need- a DVD to do weight lifting.
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I think that the Turbo Fire/Chalean Extreme hybrid would be best for you. It gives you the better cardio of Turbo Fire with the weight lifting of Chalean Extreme. It does require weights for you to use and that you own both programs. I use a multi-weight system. The workout schedule is here: http://www.beachbody.com/category/turbofire-online/class-schedule.do

Otherwise I would say go with Turbo Fire. The cardio is so much fun and is over before you know it. You only need one resistance band and this other band that goes around your legs- so less expensive equipment that is easier to store.
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I have Turbo Fire and Chalean Extreme. I like them both, but TF is pretty intense cardio and if that is not what you are looking for, I would say opt for Turbo Jam. Chalean is mostly strength training, but my edition did come with 3 cardio workouts and I like all of them. It really depends on what your goals are.
  • LeanNTrim
    LeanNTrim Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have the Turbo Jam and love it. It all depends on the amount of energy you put into your routine whether Turbo Jam or jumping rope to get the desired results. Mix it up and keep your exercises interesting. Good luck!
  • shruthibkaran
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies, guys. I guess that I am looking for a cardio program to start working out with since I've been a little out of shape for a while. I also have extremely flat feet which was the only thing that was stopping me from the Turbo Fire because it looks like a lot of impact on your feet. Any recommendations on that front?

Thanks again!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I did Turbo Jam when I was just getting into working out. It has both high impact and low impact modifications. And also has a toning and an ab video. It is a great way to get back into shape.

I also have Chalean Extreme it is mostly weights, with HIIT mixed in on the other days. This workout can also be used by beginners.
  • jessalleyne
    Options
    I started with Turbo Jam - and would recommend it if you are just getting back into cardio as Turbo Fire is all out intense! And, the Turbo Jam set includes workout with weights as she incorporates more than just cardio.

As for Chalean Extreme - I loved this too - so a hybrid is a great idea. For me - it's not just weights - you have to watch your form & Chalene is great with verbal cues to watch yourself. And we don't just come to workout with all the exercises in mind - so it's great to have her lead you through some effective exercises. But I missed my cardio just doing the Extreme workouts.

I get heel pain sometimes - so I researched & bought some great high impact aerobic shoes for this. I would recommend doing this - running shoes are different from aerobic shoes - and you'll want some cushion & support for however it is your body was made!

Have fun!!
  • jessalleyne
    Options
    Turbo Jam was nice but not very intense. Turbo Fire makes less sense to me and the routines seem less intuitive, but I think it's a better burn and a more serious work out. Chalean Extreme I haven't done, but it's just weight lifting, right? I don't think you really -need- a DVD to do weight lifting.

The Extreme videos are for heavy weights - which is a little tricky because you don't want to get hurt. I can only work out at home right now - so to have someone guide me through proper technique & actual moves was really helpful. I personally can't just pick up weights & know what the heck I'm doing.

She also teaches you how you work out different muscles on different days to allow your muscles to rebuild after you work them out. I found these dvd's to be very good training.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies, guys. I guess that I am looking for a cardio program to start working out with since I've been a little out of shape for a while. I also have extremely flat feet which was the only thing that was stopping me from the Turbo Fire because it looks like a lot of impact on your feet. Any recommendations on that front?

Thanks again!

Turbo Fire (as with Turbo Jam) has a low impact lady...forget her name.... you can follow. I prefer Turbo Jam since I find its flows well from one move to the next.
    I second the recomendation for a good aerobic shoe. makes a big difference.
  • miss_ally08
    miss_ally08 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    When I was first getting back in shape, I started with Turbo Jam. I recently got the mini version of Turbo Fire to see if I would like it or not. I will say, its very intense but it goes by quickly and you can really burn a great amount of calories in a short amount of time due to its intensity. Right now, I am doing both Turbo Jam and the mini version of Turbo Fire until I can build up more endurance with Turbo Fire.

Turbo Jam is tons of fun and it really doesn't feel like you are working out hard core... However, I am definitely enjoying Turbo Fire and can't wait to get the complete set :)
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about trying to put together a hybird at first. Start on CE. It'll be hard when you start and it'll be hard when you complete the program. Just do your best.

After you complete a round or two of CE, if you think you've mastered the cardio then look into either Turbo Fire or Insanity.

Now you set for 6+ months. Get to it :)
  • shruthibkaran
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies guys! I think I'm going to start with Turbo Jam and get back into the swing of things for like a month and then get Chalean Extreme. I'll also get good aerobic shoes for this - any recommendations for that? Any shoes you guys particularly liked? Thanks!!