To TELL them... or Just let it go?

Options

Replies

• melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Keep your mouth shut on this one... it almost sounds like your guy friend might have meant for that to be his "in" on telling you how he really feels if he has a crush on you (or maybe he's just a heck of a nice guy). Either way, he called you beautiful AND said you have an awesome personality. I'd give a kidney to hear a guy friend say something that nice.
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I vote to tell him. don't make us read minds. and break it down specifically why it bothered you - this will help the guy not make the same compliment mistake again
  • xAdrianax
    xAdrianax Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    i understood at first what you meant but now i see what he said differently

you mentioned the friend by her looks, he said he didmt get why people mention people based on looks/physical etc

maybe he thought you were putting yourself down by talking about how pretty she was and he told you that you were and not just that but you have a great personality! double the compliment!!
  • linda1243
    linda1243 Posts: 166
    Options
    I'm with the majority. If he is your friend then you need to listen with your heart. I'm sure you have said things to your friends that you may not have known they took the wrong way. Btw, I tell my friend all the time that I love her personality. She is stunning but what I like most about her is who she is.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I fail to see how what he said was anything other than a compliment.

This..
    I would have been tickled pink! At least he didn't say "you have a pretty face, you just need to lose a few pounds!" as one friend told me..:/
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    If you knew what was meant, I don't see a problem.
    Yes. Don't think more into if you already know what he meant. You are your own worst enemy.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    I have a couple friends who don't really have a filter when they speak... I know they don't MEAN to be offensive... but they are sometimes.

The other night one of my guy friends was over, we were talking about a mutual friend, and I said how pretty she was. He says "You're beautiful too... I honestly don't know why so many people put so much emphasis on physical appearance... You have an awesome personality!"

Now, I know him well... I know he MEANT for that to be a compliment... but it made me feel like Quasi Moto in the bell tower.

What do you do with your friends like this... Do you say anything... or just try to take if for the compliment that they meant for it to be and let it go?
    Guys are idiots.

A few years back, I had this old Bronco. While it was fun to drive, getting started apperantly had something to do with the way the stars aligned and if the tide was at high or low or some other crap.
    Anyway, Tiffany drove it to the store and killed the battery while trying to start it to come home so, she called me.
    I came and got in position to jump start the truck and she was crying. I asked her what the problem was and she told me that nobody would help her.
    She followed up with "I guess they don't help ugly girls".
    Now, if you look at my profile pics, you will see that she is far from ugly.
    In my brilliant way, I replied with "They should help ANY girl.".

It didn't go over so well.
  • ThustonHowell
    Options
    So, you've got the warm fuzzy feelings for this guy friend and he hasn't expressed a physical attraction. Is that the issue?

^ This. First step is admitting that to yourself, second is admitting that to him. Good luck!
  • jessc4343
    jessc4343 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    It was a compliment. Don't look for things that aren't there. Men rarely say something and mean something else. They aren't girls.

Thank God.

this.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Hey said you're beautiful and that you have an awesome personality. Isn't that a double win? Honestly, this is why women can be frustrating to men. Or maybe I'm just clueless and this went over my head.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    You're making a big pile of something out of nothing.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I have a couple friends who don't really have a filter when they speak... I know they don't MEAN to be offensive... but they are sometimes.

The other night one of my guy friends was over, we were talking about a mutual friend, and I said how pretty she was. He says "You're beautiful too... I honestly don't know why so many people put so much emphasis on physical appearance... You have an awesome personality!"

Now, I know him well... I know he MEANT for that to be a compliment... but it made me feel like Quasi Moto in the bell tower.

What do you do with your friends like this... Do you say anything... or just try to take if for the compliment that they meant for it to be and let it go?

I've learned it is best to let these things go. We are all human and far from perfect. I sure I've put my foot in my mouth as much as the next person, although I try really hard not to. Life is too short. My life is half over and I refuse to waste another moment getting upset about silly things and imperfect people because we are all merely human.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Let it go. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to analyze everything people say.
  • danam82
    danam82 Posts: 30
    Options
    He just said you are beautiful AND you have an awesome personality. In my experience, guys can be awkward when giving compliments and they can come out sounding odd. Just take the compliments for what they are and appreciate it. Stop reading into it.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    ...and furthermore...

That compliment showed that he was completely aware of how you see yourself relative to the other girl. He sees that it hurts you and was doing his incompetent guy best to express that you are highly valued for who you are.

Maybe he could have done better.
    Maybe that's only friendship love talking, but it certainly is love.
  • Mslajackson
    Mslajackson Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I so know what you mean. It's like you have a pretty face comment...dammit all of me is beautiful!!!

I hate the slap in the face 'compliments' he may not have meant it in a bad way, but it still shows his inner thoughts you know?
  • becon1022
    Options
    maybe he was telling you that yes the other girl's appearance may be considered attractive to most but he finds her personality not so attractive. believe it or not some men need more than just a pretty face or body to find a girl attractive. he was telling you that you are not only pretty on the outside (body/face) but on the inside as well (personality, being nice, down to earth, ect) meaning you have true beauty & someone he would find attractive unlike the other girl you mentioned. if he was just trying to be nice he probably would have started something like dont worry personalty is way more important than looks.
  • Litlbeast
    Litlbeast Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    It was a compliment. Don't look for things that aren't there. Men rarely say something and mean something else. They aren't girls.

Thank God.

Reason why I always have more male friends, and loved working in construction.
  • becon1022
    Options
    @digitalbill thats funny i could see myself doing the same thing. we dont really think about how things will sound or be taken. i let you know something else that drives my wife crazy we cant just listen & understand your problems so if you tell us yes we are going to try and fix it/find a solution. plus we dont get/understand hints at all. but back to the OP you are lucky sounds like you have a decent guy find & dont take things to seriously.
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I think the point is... she only commented on how pretty a mutual friend is. She didn't downplay her own looks or personality. DONE
    He didn't have to say anything except... Yah, she's cute. Now go make me some nachos!:drinker: