Full body workout for beginners (and my obese self)

Options

Replies

• Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    /bump
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    You can borrow the book "You are your own gym" by Mark Lauren. It's wonderful and is a workout that is specifically for body weight exercises.

I borrowed a digital copy from my library but you can also borrow a hard copy (or buy on Amazon for like 10 or so).
  • greatdanebabies
    Options
    I like the 30 day shred..you can start out at your pace and your gradually incline to the next workouts within the month..definatly has good strength and cardio together :)

This!!!!! I was having issues until I found this one. The hardest part of this has been the jumping jacks for me but I do notice day 2 was easier than day 1 so I'm sure it will get better. Once this gets easy for me there is a Jillian Michael 30 day shred 2 and so on!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    you can go on youtube and look up beginner full body workouts, denise austin has some good easy ones on there so does amanda russell, and leslie sansome, Just find something on youtube that you might like and try it there are alot of workout videos on there
  • katesand10
    katesand10 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30 day shred...$10 at Target. You've already got the hand weights. This program has worked wonders for me. I don't have the time or money for any gym.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I like the 30 day shred..you can start out at your pace and your gradually incline to the next workouts within the month..definatly has good strength and cardio together :)

30 Day Shred is great!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Get the book Convict Conditioning or You Are Your Own Gym.

I personally prefer Convist Conditioning as it is more beginner-friendly.
  • evans72002
    evans72002 Posts: 89 Member
    Options

This!!!
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    www.jefit.com

I like to build my own circuit using JeFit.com it will let me chose beginner exercises for each area, and then I add Stepups, jumping jacks etc in there...
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options

This!!!

if you are heavier this is NOT a beginners workout... I failed this many times and became discouraged ... I won't say I won't try it again, but it's hard on the knees.
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    If you prefer a visual form to follow, check your library for DVDs before you make the committment to purchase.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I like alot of these options, but I do have to limit my up & down (on the floor, back up) like the 30 day shred. I have worsening hip & lower back issues that will put me in tears in a few minutes. I just don't understand - if I'm losing weight, then why am I in more pain than before? Blarg blarg blarg... more walking for me.
  • zashatamudio
    zashatamudio Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I started working out, I got yoga videos from the library and it was awesome! The toning ones by yoga zone were the best (some are on youtube). Yoga and cardio are good, but weight lifting is great cuz you can actually see/feel your muscles getting stronger, and its really good for your metabolism.

Now I go to the YMCA and do the y-bar/toning classes where we do a routine with weights in a class (way more fun than at home alone), coupled with one of those 12 week running programs (week 1 - walk 10, run 1, walk 4, etc. week 2 - walk 10, run 2, walk 2, etc.)

I like this youtube cuz its a good routine, you don't need much equipment, it explains the movements well and it gives you the time to do it (instead of other weight videos which just show you what to do), but its the same routine x4 and there's no music, so just play your own music!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPgKYsknKw4&feature=relmfu

Good luck!

P.s. When you start doing strength exercises (or any exercise really) - GO EASY!!! You have a buildup of lactic acid in your muscles (muscle energy waste product that causes muscle aches), so the first time is going to hurt 2 days later so make sure you ease into it. All the exercises should feel only a little challenging the first one or two times. After that you can go harder and you'll only be a little sore, but it'll feel goooooood.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Jillian michaels 30 day shred. Start with workout 1 until it gets easier, then move to workout 2, then eventually 3. Or maybe find s biggest loser dvd?
  • jensfitpal2012
    jensfitpal2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    JM 30DS dvd and ZUMBA
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    STRETCH AND WARM UP FIRST!

30 Jumping Jacks
    20 Squats
    30 Crunches
    10 Push Ups
    60 second Arm Circles
    20 Walking Lunges
    30 Windmills
    20 Dumbbell Rows (10 each arm)
    15 second Plank
    60 second Flutter kicks (pulses)
    30 squat & arm extensions
    60 second mountain climber
    10 Push Ups
    60 Tricep extensions (30 each)
    60 second Wall Sit with bicep curls

Repeat 2-3 times, pushing harder and longer on each exercise
  • SWilkins75
    SWilkins75 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of the replies! I have never gotten such a good response! I am definitely bookmarking this so I can look into all of this stuff. Very glad that all of this advice is helping others as well. It is VERY much appreciated!
  • ForeverChasingTheSunsets
    Options
    The best results are circuit training.

Search YouTube for dumbell strength exercises. Buy a cheap skipping rope and you are set.

Chest, back, shoulders and arms one day. Glutes, legs and core the next day. Here is a sample of one for you.

3lb Bicep curls, both arms or alternating, 12 repeats/2 sets (30 second rest in between sets)
    30 second skip rope

3lb Chest flies, 12 repeats/2 sets (30 second rest in between sets)
    10 jumping jacks

3lb Overhead Press, 12 repeats/2 sets (30 second rest in betwen sets)
    30 second jump rope

This is just an example.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

This!!!

if you are heavier this is NOT a beginners workout... I failed this many times and became discouraged ... I won't say I won't try it again, but it's hard on the knees.

I did the C25k before I got started, but if you can do cardio for 30 minutes, then you can do the 30 Day shred. You do need enough stamina to last. Or you can just keep trying it until you get through it all.