Switching from machines to free weights

Options
T1mH
T1mH Posts: 568 Member
So I've read the rants here. I've read the websites, blogs and fitness articles. I'm convinced that I want to move from the machines to free weights but I'm scared. No scared isn't the right word. Intimidated and ignorant. Whats the best way to get across the gym?

Do I need to hire a personal trainer?

Replies

• SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    just use less weight at the beginning.. you will find all kinds of muscles you never even knew you had get sore (they are the support/balance muscles).
  • Branok
    Branok Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm on the same boat with you. I'd like to see the answers you get because I'd like to know, too.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Here is an excellent book on the subject: "New Rules for Weight Lifting" It will give good foundation to work with. There is also nothing wrong with hiring a trainer.
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I went on www.bodybuilding.com, I took a look at Jamie Eason's program. Youtube I hear is also good. I watch the "boys" at the gym and picked up some "moves" there.........instead of a PT, I'm constantly re-searching stuff on my own. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm on the same boat with you. I'd like to see the answers you get because I'd like to know, too.

There is a version of "New Rules" for women and a group on this site dedicated to it.
  • Couponqueenren
    Couponqueenren Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • GibsonDarlin
    GibsonDarlin Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I am on the same page.
    The Y wants me to pay a personal trainer to show me how to use them.
    Honestly, none look they use them themselves.

I wish i had a answer for you. I read the book new weightlifting rules for women and I cant commit to do it all by myself. Not sure of the correct form, no accountability.
  • KatKisses
    KatKisses Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I use a personal trainer...cuz I don't want to look like a bumbling idiot!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I recommend the NROL series too. I've only done the one for women, but I love it!
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    You dont need to hire a trainer, but you can if you want to and can afford to, they arent cheap.

You can always google different types of workout routines with weights

Yes, you will find that the free weights, give you a way better workout than the machine

Are you intimidated because of all those men in that section, who are mostly at their goal or near there. I understand, however I am sure they were intimidated at one time. Just go for it, who knows you may get some help from them for free

Goodluck
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    just use less weight at the beginning.. you will find all kinds of muscles you never even knew you had get sore (they are the support/balance muscles).

This. I had to knock several pounds off all my lifts when switching to free weights. It was humbling. :blushing: But sooooo worth it! :drinker:
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

*loving the responses for a male OP to check out New Rules for Women. But it's the same premise, I suppose....good luck, man!
  • shellyk972
    shellyk972 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Jamie Eason program right now.. I watch the videos, imitate them, make some notes, then go to the gym at a time when many people aren't there (around 3pm). My gym does have staff floating around and I've asked one question. Once I've become comfortable, I'm more comfortable going during peak times.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Read the book Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    It's been said before, but it's worth saying again. Do NOT expect to be using the same weight you were using on the machines. I've regularly used gyms since 2003 and I've rarely been able to simply switch over to free weights and not lighten the load a bit. Be willing to go a little lighter as your body acclimates to moving without the machine's assistance.

Use of a personal trainer is up to you. Most of the programs I've used involve a lot of pictures / videos to demonstrate proper form, so I usually skip the trainer aspect. But if you're not sure about what you're doing, there's no harm in starting out with a trainer and then going off on your own.
  • Chopshopcop
    Chopshopcop Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of progression. You can start with dumbbells and do floor work until you feel comfortable with your form; you can video yourself and check your form. As already suggested, start with lighter weight than you may already be pushing. You can ask others for help as well, you'll certainly get lots of advice but not all of it will be correct. Even from some personal trainers. Starting Strength and NROL are great resources as well as http://exrx.net.

Slow and steady and do some research, you should do fine.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Well a trainer at my gym is $30 an hour. So for $15 I can pick up the kindle version of the new rules of lifting. If it saves me one hour of personal trainer time or makes time with a trainer more productive should I end up hiring one then it's a good investment.

I'll start there. Thanks, for all the replies.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Well a trainer at my gym is $30 an hour. So for $15 I can pick up the kindle version of the new rules of lifting. If it saves me one hour of personal trainer time or makes time with a trainer more productive should I end up hiring one then it's a good investment.

I'll start there. Thanks, for all the replies.

I suggest getting the hard copy of the book. I have both the hard copy and the kindle version. It is WAY easier to flip around and learn the exercises in hard copy format than digital format. I'm a digital girl..,,I love everything technology ...even most books...except that one lol.
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Go to the website www.exrx.net. It has videos of all the exercises showing proper form. It may be worthwile but not necessarry to have a single session with a trainer to learn form.
  • Mels707
    Mels707 Posts: 101
    Options
    Nrolfw is very helpful.
    Also "starting strength" by rippetoe

I paid for one personal training session at my gym so that I could learn how to properly do all the moves. I found it really helpful, and my trainer put together a program for me. I was really happy that I had done some research on lifting beforehand, because it helped me pick a knowledgeable trainer.