Potatoes

Options
I know they aren't the BEST for you but I have been craving baked potatoes. Any suggestions for some ways to make it flavorful while not loading on so much fat and calories?

Same for sweet potatoes!

Replies

• jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Instead of eating a gynormous baking potato, I just do a baby red and put cottage cheese and/or reduced fat cheese on it. It's only a mini-sin then. :)
  • Ashia1317
    Options
    a little bit of Extra Virgin Olive Oil instead of butter. And try to stay away from any salt.
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I take a potatoe bake it, then scoop out some of the inside and add hunts sodium reduced tomato sauce with some spices in it!
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    Baked red potatoes with light olive oil, vidalia onions and fresh rosemary!
  • imdamom
    Options
    Baked potatoes aren't bad for you. A small/medium sized one (about 5 ounces) is only 110 calories and full of vitamins, minerals and fiber (especially the skin). They have gotten a bad rap when it's really the stuff you load on top of the potato that makes it unhealthy. Try a small baked potato topped with 2 tbsp salsa and 2 tbsp fat free sour cream. It's only 150 calories.
  • karlowe
    karlowe Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    where do you get the smoker tickers @ ?
  • imdamom
    Options
    where do you get the smoker tickers @ ?

I got mine at http://www.smokefreequitmeter.com/
  • Mande_G
    Mande_G Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    You can substitute plain (fat free) regular or greek yogurt in place of sour cream. Tastes the same, but is lower in calories and high in protein!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    yes, potatoes are good for you, sweet potatoes are great for you. Don't believe the hype! It's all the crap that people put on them that makes them bad. A little bit of chive and a light dollup of low fat sour cream and they are delicious! As to sweet potatoes, they are great all by themselves or with a little bit of ICBINB
  • becabunny
    Options
    Thanks guys! I love greek yogurt, I'll have to try it on there!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    and SALSA is practically calorie free :bigsmile:
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Broccoli and reduced fat cheese or Chili
  • weebles
    Options
    If you take 1 small red potato and 1 cup steamed mashed cauliflower is only 70 calories. Just figure what you want to add to it and you are also getting your veggies. I do the same with sweet potatoes.
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    For potatoes, I like to use the mini red potatoes. I cut them in half or quarters (depending on the size) and mix them with a little EVOO, basil, garlic, oregano and whatever other seasoning I want to use. Then I lay them in a single layer on a baking sheet and cook them in a 400 degree oven for about 30 - 40 minutes turning halfway through the cooking time. For the last few minutes I turn the broiler on so get them nice and crispy. Four mini reds plus a little EVOO and seasoning comes in under 150 cals (well for the potatoes I use anyway).

For sweet potatoes, I like to bake mine in the microwave or oven with the skin on. When they're done I put a little bit of cajun spices on them. Sooooo yummy and I find I don't even need any butter.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Actually eating potatoes are good for you if you eat the skin because it has so much nutrients. I usually add seasonings to my baked potato. I do a little of pepper and some lowery's seasoning and it's good. Once you get over not eating all the junk with it you will start to enjoy. When I go out to restaraunts I just eat a plain baked potato. When I am home I will do a little bit of the spray butter that has 0 cals/fat and a tbsp of bacon bits.
  • becabunny
    Options
    For potatoes, I like to use the mini red potatoes. I cut them in half or quarters (depending on the size) and mix them with a little EVOO, basil, garlic, oregano and whatever other seasoning I want to use. Then I lay them in a single layer on a baking sheet and cook them in a 400 degree oven for about 30 - 40 minutes turning halfway through the cooking time. For the last few minutes I turn the broiler on so get them nice and crispy. Four mini reds plus a little EVOO and seasoning comes in under 150 cals (well for the potatoes I use anyway).

For sweet potatoes, I like to bake mine in the microwave or oven with the skin on. When they're done I put a little bit of cajun spices on them. Sooooo yummy and I find I don't even need any butter.

That sounds so yummy, thank you!