Running Hills and Logging

Options
Hey guys! So I recently have been working and living in pretty hilly areas. Most of my runs include a ton of hills that I am not used to that has slowed my pace considerably, but I feel like I'm working harder, which is great. I'm wondering how people log this, as the same distance I used to be able to run in 55 takes around 70 minutes now :/ but feels like a much tougher work out (because, it is?).

Also, anyone want to explain the benefits of running hills in training? I feel like I should know this but I want to keep motivated to keep running them.

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the calorie burn but running hills will make your legs stronger which will lead to running faster.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I used to run on hills on purpose because it makes you breathe deeper and your legs stronger. That is what people are doing when they do interval training in running. It turns out you can actually lose fitness if you are running straight and flat and not pushing yourself too hard, even while you increase your miles.
    But, it is really easy to push yourself on hills. It makes you breathe so hard you cannot help but increase your aerobic capacity (and, I think, lung volume, another advantage).
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Use a heart rate monitor- that's the best way to tell.
  • aimeero2012
    Options
    Hills are also good for toning your backside and legs.
  • torque2
    torque2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I live on the side of a mountain and by default my runs are varied in their incline....it's so good for strength and then when I do a flat run I have the extra boost to increase my speed....keep it up!
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the calorie burn but running hills will make your legs stronger which will lead to running faster.

It will also help you prepare for any unexpected hills you may encounter if plan on doing any races. When you get to the hill, you will keep running, while most around you will stop to walk ;)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    It turns out you can actually lose fitness if you are running straight and flat and not pushing yourself too hard, even while you increase your miles.

Say what? Lose fitness when running aerobically? If your HR is up, you are gaining fitness.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    If you mean training for runs, then hills are excellent trainers. If you do searches on the runners world and running times website, you will find a plethora of training modules for hills and how they help.

Oh, and a HRM will help you monitor your heart rate and calories burned during said training.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    It turns out you can actually lose fitness if you are running straight and flat and not pushing yourself too hard, even while you increase your miles.

This year I slowed way down and increased my miles and got fitter (and faster) more quickly than I did while running less and pushing myself for every run. I'm faster than I've ever been and most of my runs are at a conversational pace.
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options

Say what? Lose fitness when running aerobically? If your HR is up, you are gaining fitness.

I agree w/ the second comment. Per my running instructor, hills help w/ speed because you push yourself harder.
  • tappae
    Options
    To the OP: a high-quality heart rate monitor may help. Mine isn't super accurate, though, so I just log the time and distance and know that I'm getting a little extra deficit there. I do the same when I push the stroller. As long as you're not trying to have a super small deficit, it should be okay.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! So I recently have been working and living in pretty hilly areas. Most of my runs include a ton of hills that I am not used to that has slowed my pace considerably, but I feel like I'm working harder, which is great. I'm wondering how people log this, as the same distance I used to be able to run in 55 takes around 70 minutes now :/ but feels like a much tougher work out (because, it is?).

Also, anyone want to explain the benefits of running hills in training? I feel like I should know this but I want to keep motivated to keep running them.

Several types of workouts and paces to focus on different things. Plus benefits of downhill.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/hilltrain.htm

Calorie estimates for incline running.
    Calc's most accurate for walking level 2-4 mph. Running and incline has more variability to a person's own efficiency and loses accuracy, but still could be more accurate than HRM. Problem is knowing the grade of hill without treadmill.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html
  • GiddyupTim
    Options

This was shown in a study reported in the textbook Exercise Physiology, by William McArdle and Frank Katch. The study looked at interval training and how much it can improve VO2 max (basically, your oxygen capacity). At the end of the study, the researchers had some of the subjects cut back their intensity, but keep the duration and frequency of their exercising. Those who cut intensity lost VO2 max.
    For a good discussion of this issue, see: http://trainingscience.net/?page_id=644
  • GiddyupTim
    Options

This year I slowed way down and increased my miles and got fitter (and faster) more quickly than I did while running less and pushing myself for every run. I'm faster than I've ever been and most of my runs are at a conversational pace.

I think you might be confused about what you have done. But okay. It is probably possible. Perhaps by running more miles you made your legs stronger than they were before?
    That's great. Whatever it was.
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    Options

This was shown in a study reported in the textbook Exercise Physiology, by William McArdle and Frank Katch. The study looked at interval training and how much it can improve VO2 max (basically, your oxygen capacity). At the end of the study, the researchers had some of the subjects cut back their intensity, but keep the duration and frequency of their exercising. Those who cut intensity lost VO2 max.
    For a good discussion of this issue, see: http://trainingscience.net/?page_id=644

Thats different. Of course if you were doing HIIT, then cut back to only slow running, fitness can/will be lost. But going from nothing to long slow runs and increasing mileage wont make you lose fitness. A lot of runners dont ONLY do long slow runs anyways, but those are essential to preparing for long races.
  • GiddyupTim
    Options
    No. I apologize if my point was mistaken. I was merely trying to support the notion that running hills can be highly beneficial.
    BTW, The Chicago Bears Walter Payton, one of the greatest running backs of all time, had a favorite hill that he trained on endlessly. And, there is a famous hill in Kenya that all that country's best distance runners used to train on -- probably still do.
    But read the blog I posted, if you are interested. It really is interesting.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options

It is true that fast intervals will increase VO2max more effectively than aerobic running. However, total aerobic capacity is a far better predictor of running success than VO2max alone. Total aerobic capacity includes VO2max but also includes many other physiological components that are most effectively built with a high volume of running at aerobic intensities over a long period of time.
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    No. I apologize if my point was mistaken. I was merely trying to support the notion that running hills can be highly beneficial.
    BTW, The Chicago Bears Walter Payton, one of the greatest running backs of all time, had a favorite hill that he trained on endlessly. And, there is a famous hill in Kenya that all that country's best distance runners used to train on -- probably still do.
    But read the blog I posted, if you are interested. It really is interesting.

I totally agree that running hills and speed intervals do amazing things. But one must not do them to keep gaining fitness is what I was trying to say.
  • GiddyupTim
    Options
    I think we have now gone too deep -- or too steep -- and lost the OP and the interest in the thread.
    Sorry, OP.
    To get back to your question:
    I've run hills a lot, and my experience has been that it is great training.
    I like it too because it seems you do not have to run for as long to get the same results/benefits. And, I think that includes calories burned, but I really do not know.
  • tappae
    Options

I think you might be confused about what you have done. But okay. It is probably possible. Perhaps by running more miles you made your legs stronger than they were before?
    That's great. Whatever it was.

No, I don't believe I am confused. I have definitely gained fitness and speed without speed work (I did run a lot of hills, because they're awesome, but I did them even more slowly than I ran on the flat) and have made these gains at a faster rate than I did when pushing myself every time. For years, I ran 2 to 3 times a week, generally around 3 miles each time and working up eventually to long runs of 8 to 10 miles. Each time I went out, I tried to do those three miles faster than I had before. Over these years I did see some improvement, but mostly at the beginning. This year, I increased my miles up to 30 to 40 per week, running 5 days instead of just 3. For a few months, I did every single run at a conversational pace. When I added speed work back in, I was faster than I had ever been. Now, my conversational pace is faster than my best times had been at some longer distances. It's been a real revelation to me.