FitBit Ultra - Calories Burned

Options
So, I am new to the FitBit world. It's actually my first day using it. I am a bit confused.. .as of right now I have walked 4,238 steps and according to the FitBit it says I have burned 1,556 calories. That can't be right! In a 30 minute cardio session I am burning about 400 calories. I am working way harder in a cardio session then I am just walking here and there. I am so confused. Someone who has a FitBit Ultra can you please help me understand this better?

Thanks!

Replies

• Gwen7121
    Gwen7121 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    The fitbit is giving you total calories burned today. It includes the calories that you burn just to be alive, in addition to any exercise. When it comes over to MFP, if you synced it, it would only give you the 'extra' calories that you burned in the day.

For example, just to exist, I might need 1200 calories. My activities throughout the day caused me to burn 1500 calories. Only the 300 calorie difference will show up in your exercise on MFP.

Does that help?
  • MsTonyaRenee
    MsTonyaRenee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The fitbit is giving you total calories burned today. It includes the calories that you burn just to be alive, in addition to any exercise. When it comes over to MFP, if you synced it, it would only give you the 'extra' calories that you burned in the day.

For example, just to exist, I might need 1200 calories. My activities throughout the day caused me to burn 1500 calories. Only the 300 calorie difference will show up in your exercise on MFP.

Does that help?

This helped me! Thanks!
  • justalittleTLC
    justalittleTLC Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Does that help?

This does help. However, how do you know how many calories you need just to exist?
  • johned63
    johned63 Posts: 306 Member
    Options

Does that help?

This does help. However, how do you know how many calories you need just to exist?

That is called your BMR or Basal Metabolic Rate There are a couple of different formulas but they are pretty close to each other. Just do a google for BMR and you will find calculators that you can use to find out what it is.
  • roswyn80
    roswyn80 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    MFP has a BMR calculator under tools that you can use. :)