Easy chicken recipes

Options
I can't cook to save my life and it's about time that I start. Depending on the food available in my uni isn't a good idea since most of it is junk food. I need some easy chicken recipes. Preferably things I can make that will last me a few days so I can just take it with me for lunch when I leave home on mornings.

Replies

• JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Six boneless chicken breasts
    One large jar of salsa
    Crock pot over night on low
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    1lb chicken breasts
    24 grapes
    2 stalks celery
    2T light mayo
    2T light sour cream
    salt and pepper to taste

Chop breasts into smaller pieces and boil for 10 mins and cool - chop into bite-size pieces
    Chop grapes and celery

Add all ingredients together and chill

This will make about 4 servings of about 140 cals, 8g carbs, 5g fat, 23g protein.
  • Rikaard
    Options
    How does that taste O_o doesn't look like the chicken is going to have much flavour
  • joanie152
    joanie152 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    If you're referring to my salsa chicken, I forgot to mention that you mash up the chicken in the morning. You can add some Texas Pete, too if you like. Taste depends on your salsa choice.
  • horses7777
    Options
    bump
  • chimpy_chimp
    chimpy_chimp Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Six boneless chicken breasts
    One large jar of salsa
    Crock pot over night on low

I have a friend that makes this for potlucks. She serves it with flour tortillas and cheese. It is delicious.
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Oh Honey, when my 19 year old Cal Poly student went back to school I made sure he knew how to cook beans, make salsa & guacamole, simmer chicken in a croc pot (it really is that easy in a croc pot w/salsa) and his specialty: breaded chicken tenders. Get with other people in your dorm & learn from/with them! Make it fun! Bring over some cupcakes & share ideas! Best of luck to you!!
  • GhostPack
    GhostPack Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Boneless skinless thighs or flatten breasts. Salt, pepper, garlic, Put in oven @ 350 for 30 minutes or until done (not pink). DONE
    If you can cook in a skillet pan, cook them in there. DONE
    If you have a grill, grill them DONE

Great thing is you can add that chicken to whatever and it will work.
    Put some hot sauce on it
    Put some terryaki sauce on it
    Put some BBQ sauce on it
    Put some (insert favorite sauce) on it
    DONE
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    In a frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil.

Chop and gently fry (we're softening, not browning) 2 onions. With some garlic, if possible

Turn the heat up and;

Add 6 chicken breasts, cut into chunks, and stir until they are a little coloured.

Pour in 3 cans of chopped tomatoes. And some concentrated chicken stock

Then add whatever vegetables and seasoning mix you like and can find cheaply. So for instance; curry spices, cauliflower, potatoes ( good hot or cold, with rice) . Lots of beans, a mexican spice mix, for chilli (good hot with baked potato or rice, goog cold with rice) ; Italian seasoning and if possible some extra basil and some olives for Italian style (good hot or cold with pasta). Chorizo and butter beans, paprika, for Spanish. In England we just stew any old stuff, so say dried mixed herbs, carrots, parsnips, mushrooms...

Anyway just bake or crockpot your choice - about an 1-1/2 hours in an oven at 180. Fresh bread goes well with any of these, hot or cold. For your lunches, you could add salad veg like tomatoes, spinach, cucumber, salad leaves, beetroot to your mix of leftovers.
  • juliann95
    juliann95 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Put wax paper down. Sprinkle with shredded parmessan cheese....the good kind in a tub, not jarred. Roll chicken in it and bake!!! Awesome!!! 350 for oh about 30-40 minutes depending on size.
  • Rikaard
    Options
    All of these suggestions sound awesome! I'll try them soon. Thanks :D

*bump*
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Chicken Wrap - cook chicken, assemble with greens and feta later
    http://health.discovery.com/fansites/sam-zien/recipes/mediterranean.html

This is superfast and tasty. Go easy on the butter or use a small amount of canola oil instead.
    http://www.kevinandamanda.com/recipes/dinner/5-minute-brown-butter-chicken-and-crispy-sage.html

Chicken with leeks and sundried tomatoes:
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/12/chicken-with-leeks-sun-dried-tomatoes.html

Chicken with veggies - make sure you season the chicken well or it's pretty bland
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/03/grilled-chicken-with-spinach-and-melted.html
  • determined_01
    Options
    2 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1 bottle of franks hot sauce
    1 packet of hidden valley ranch dry mix
    crock pot

trim chicken of fat, score outsides to let sauce seep into chicken. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with ranch mix. pour whole bottle of franks over chicken. Cook on low for 4 hours. You can either leave the chicken whole or shred and put on rolls for chicken sandwhiches. Under 200 calories with out bread : )
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Get a bottle of jerk chicken sauce or marinade.
    cut up the chicken however you want.

chop up onion and 4-5 garlic cloves and jalapeno if you like the heat and marinade the chicken with the sauce covered tightly ( i use a baggy) in the fridge, over night. the next day, whenever you can cook it,...if you have an oven, put it in a pyrex dish covered at 350F for an hour. or until done. SO GOOD!! with roti, with bread, with tortilla, with rice..

if you dont have an oven, then cook it all in a frying pan on the stove, cover until done :flowerforyou:
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite chicken recipe right now. It's fast, easy, and leftovers can be eaten shredded and served in tortillas as soft tacos, or with pasta or rice, using the sauce that it makes. Cook all 6 at once and freeze what you won't use in the next few days. Yummy, yummy stuff, and low in calories, too!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spicy-Garlic-Lime-Chicken/
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say thanks for posting this. I just bought some chicken breasts today and have no clue what to do with them!
  • MusicMakinSnaye
    Options
    1.) Boneless chicken + Salsa = amazing.

You're a college kid like me. You can get cans of boneless chicken (for cheap), nice can of salsa, a pack whole wheat tortillas and it'll last. Maybe get some queso and spread on top (not too much though).

2.) Chicken + oven and any seasoning/sauce = amazing

Doesn't take that long. I like Jack Daniel's BBQ sauce or Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper seasoning. Have this with broccoli or mixed veggies (freezer packs, more bang for the buck).
  • SillySkittles
    SillySkittles Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My husband just made chicken this evening:

Boneless chicken breast, sprinkled on top with montreal chicken spice and then baked in the oven. Had it tonight with mashed fauxtatoes (made with cauliflower instead of potatoes).

Another way we have chicken is a whole chicken baked in the oven. Before I put it in, I pour a mixture of soy sauce and lemon juice over it (not the best for sodium, but you could get low sodium soy sauce). Every little while, pull it out and baste it with the soy sauce/lemon juice at the bottom of the pan from when you poured it over.

Hope that helps, otherwise, the only other thing that I do that's easy is Jane's pre-cooked chicken (just needs heating in the microwave) and I make a wrap with it with strawberry/mango salsa.
  • meggyannpt
    meggyannpt Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Chicken and Rice Casserole

3-4 Chicken Breasts
    1 cup rice
    1 cup water
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 can cream of celery soup
    1 pkg dry onion soup mix

Mix soups, water and rice in a glass baking dish. Place chicken breasts on top. Put dry onion soup mix on top of other ingredients. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 1-1/2 to 2 hours (add water if needed). Great with a veggie on the side!