Any beauty queens out there? Share your tips!

Options
LaurenAOK
LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
Hello ladies! (And gentlemen I guess). I recently posted a topic looking for fitness advice since I am going to be in my first ever pageant in February (yayyy!). I've never been much of a pageant girl or beauty queen, so it should be a fun experience. Please share your beauty tips! I actually have a couple of specific questions:

Do you use salon quality shampoo/conditioner, and does it really make a difference? I tend to shop cheap because I'm a broke college student, but I'm tried of my hair always looking dry and lifeless. I've noticed that it's always soooo shiny after I get it washed at a salon. I'm thinking of caving and buying some professional products. Is it worth it?

Has anyone found a good lipstain that actually works? I have a couple that work fairly well but the issue is since the inside of my lips get wet from, well, being in my mouth haha... the part closest to the inside of my lips always fades, while the outside stays vibrant, so it looks like I have this weird ring around the outside of my lips! I'm looking for something that will last for hours and not fade in weird places haha. Any suggestions?

Replies

• valolerie
    valolerie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm not a beauty queen, but for your hair looking dry and lifeless, have you tried using argan oil? It's been a miracle for me, my hair looks as good as it does after going to the salon now and it always used to be dry and frizzy.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Watch Honey Boo Boo for some tips
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Watch Honey Boo Boo for some tips

This made me literally laugh out loud! That show is horrible!!

Lauren - I don't really have any good tips. I ran for Fair Queen when I was a senior in high school but really didn't do any major prepping other than memorizing the speech we had to give and practicing impromptu questions. Good luck and have fun!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I use salon shampoo and conditioner and I think it's worth it! I usually get mine from Ulta, I like Paul Mitchell, Redkin, and Wella (they make my new favorite conditioner). If you go to a salon or Ulta and tell them about your hair they'll help you find something (and look for sales!). I'll admit that I do like Aussie's 3 minute miracle too and Burt's Bees hair products. I've been trying some other cheaper brands of shampoo and conditioner and I'm not really a big fan in the long run and I always end up going back to the salon brands!

I don't wear lip stains so I don't have any advice there!

Good luck btw :)
  • RitaSantoss
    RitaSantoss Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Well it's really difficult for me to find a shampoo that I like because my hair is quite fine and oily, but I've been using Syoss's Volume Lift shampoo and I LOVE IT! So you should lookout for shampoes from that brand in any supermarket and see which one would fit you best and it's really cheap.
  • LaurenAOK
    Options
    Thanks guys, I will have to look into some of those shampoo brands! Today I bought a new lipstain - NYC that's supposed to last for 16 hours. We'll see if it works!
  • genefabes
    genefabes Posts: 132
    Options
    Moroccan Oil everything.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Try using a shampoo that's sulphate free. Your hair will feel a little funny for about a week (like it has a build up on it or something) but after it adjusts, your hair will look amazing. I use Organix argan oil shampoo/conditioner/light oil product and I like it a lot better than the Redken shampoo that I was using.
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Moroccan Oil everything.
    this! and tarte has an amzing oil that is helping me look younger than my years. Take care of your skin ladies....and especially your neck/chest/hands!
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I'd HIGHLY suggest using Wella products (pricy) or going to Walmart and grabbing some Organix conditioner and shampoo in Moroccan Argan Oil. That stuff is amazing.

As for lipstain, look up OCC Lip Tars. Prepare to be amazed.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Silk elements is amazing stuff. You can get it at Sally's
  • delta90017
    Options
    I use a bar of soap in the health club. It's green. Smells funny sometimes.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics (OCC) lip tars are out of this world.

I use sulfate-free shampoo/conditioner. Works well. If you want the best though, I would recommend Wen haircare products.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I use a bar of soap in the health club. It's green. Smells funny sometimes.
    OMG LMAO...do you pull out the short curly hairs first?
  • APawli1224
    APawli1224 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Moroccan Oil

I am a make up artist.. It is hard to find any lip stain that will work well.. They break down with oils so if you eat out they will break down, I say just go with a lip liner and lip stick.. Yes you might have to reapply but lip stains start looking really bad after a little bit..
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I really like the Matrix Biolage line...the clarifying shampoo is great, and their conditioners are wonderful too. I get mine at Ulta (check online, they have really good coupons) or rite aid (my wellness card gets me 20% off). My hair is naturally curly and thick. I also like Jonathon products for cutting down on frizz. Holding power without crunchy noodle hair!

Have found no lip-goo with staying power in bold colors though, but I am a teacher and my lips are always moving!
  • jynxxxed
    Options
    A few other random (high end mostly) products I'd suggest are Lancome Hypnose Drama for mascara, Urban Decay's liner in Perversion if you're seeking a good black color, Nars or Tarte blushes are great, Urban Decay's All Nighter to set your makeup to ensure it won't budge during the pageant, Urban Decay's eyeshadow primer, Maybelline's gel liner (use for upper lashline), ELF brushes are cheap and work well.. I can go on and on and onnnnnnnnn.

Clearly you can see where most of my money goes. lol.
  • LaurenAOK
    Options
    That lip tar looks awesome. I will have to order some with my next paycheck!!

Will also have to check out this Organix stuff. Is it expensive? I have used moroccan oil before and it did help a little but didn't work miracles for me.
  • jynxxxed
    Options
    That lip tar looks awesome. I will have to order some with my next paycheck!!

Will also have to check out this Organix stuff. Is it expensive? I have used moroccan oil before and it did help a little but didn't work miracles for me.

Nope, they sell the smaller (still good sized) bottles of it at walmart for around $6. I know my walmart had it on sale last weekend for around $5 and change.
  • ashleyeliz25
    ashleyeliz25 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I recently bought Curly Sexy Hair by Sexy Hair and I have really seen a difference in my hair. I am trying to grow my hair out for a wedding in December but could not find any products for fast hair growth that didn't have damaging ingredients...so I went with healthier shampoo to make my ends less damaged/dry. After using it five times in a row my ends were not even dry anymore and my hair was super shiny. Sexy Hair makes other kinds of products if you don't have curly hair and I did a lot of research/reading reviews on the product and haven't found anything negative. I am super picky about what I put in my hair..hope this helps!!