GW reached but still fat not muscle!

Options
2»

Replies

• Bri_Becq
    Bri_Becq Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I want to know this as well.. I don't care about the # on the scale as much... I do want to bring that fat percentage DOWN!!!
  • psmith_five
    psmith_five Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I started out just wanting to lose weight but I guess Bri_Becq is right. I think my ultimate goal has changed to be cut and big with low fat percentage no matter what the weight is.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I started out just wanting to lose weight but I guess Bri_Becq is right. I think my ultimate goal has changed to be cut and big with low fat percentage no matter what the weight is.

The progress you have already made is awesome. Having a new goal is just part of the transformation.
  • Bri_Becq
    Bri_Becq Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    ^ totally agree...

as you progress you notice the changes you want to do...

I'm suppose to be at 150... right now the goal is 175 and like 30% BF... so I got to LIFT and learn to love it lOl which I do... just not too much..

the Jillian Michaels DVDs have helped me shed fat. But one month of not doing anything, I gained 3% back. -_- that's why CONSISTENCY is key!!! :)
  • momoftwins123
    Options
    Consistency is key! What do you dislike about lifting?
  • momoftwins123
    Options
    But if you couldnt continue with that, you would prob gain it right back???
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm 7 lbs from my ultimate weight goal of 200lbs but I sill have a lot of fat and not eough muscle.What's the best advice to stay current weight to convert my fat to muscle? Should I continue to eat at a reduced caloric intake or eat at a maintnance level and lift more? I was trying to loss the fat until I reached 185 then try to build the muscle back up to 200. Is that a reasonable plan? Is there a better way to to this?

The only way to get rid of fat is a calorie deficit.

I would encourage you to start a beginner weight lifting routine. Just 3 days a week. Why?

Lifting weights is KEY. I recently had my DXA scan done and at 51.5 years of age I have the bone density of a super athletic 30 year old. That is a direct result of lifting for over 30 years. Now if that is not scientific proof that lifting weights keeps you younger I don't know what is! Also I believe it is why most people think I look much younger than I really am.

Girls, start lifting now. lift heavy and change it up often, find a lot of weight routines with free weights, make it fun, embrace it, make it part of your life. Only 3 days a week is all it would take. Crank up your tunes and learn to love it, because your body will love it and it will make your quality of life better in many ways, especially when you get older like me.

Because of this I don't have to worry about osteoporosis. If you wait until you are older and your bones start to deteriorate it's a bit too late, you can't get back what you lost, you can only start a resistance routine that will prevent further damage.

f you are a girl you don't have the hormones to get big naturally. I lift heavy and I'm still really tiny. My lean body mass is only 104 lbs and that is fairly heavy for a 5'1" female, and quite a bit of this is due to my having very dense bones from 30 years of lifting, not all muscle, and I'm still quite tiny.

My muscles really are not that big, but they show a lot of definition because I'm quite lean. If I gained some fat then I would have a softer more toned look (which is OKAY too!). Then if I gained more fat I would look bulking and hefty like I did most of my life until last year. YOU CAN HAVE WHATEVER YOU WANT. Lean and ripped, soft and toned, or hefty, it all depends on how much fat you leave on your body. Calories are the only thing that changes fat. Exercise is for changing or maintaining your lean body mass only. Lifting weights will give you the best bang for your buck for shaping your body. I finally changed my shape by putting lifting first and cardio 2nd. You cannot out exercise too many calories. I learned this the hard way ---> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

Why'd you do your copy pasta that tells girls to lift heavy when OP is a guy?

Because she just can't help herself! Complete with link.
  • sadein
    sadein Posts: 40
    Options
    Ok, I'm 7 lbs from my ultimate weight goal of 200lbs but I sill have a lot of fat and not eough muscle.What's the best advice to stay current weight to convert my fat to muscle? Should I continue to eat at a reduced caloric intake or eat at a maintnance level and lift more? I was trying to loss the fat until I reached 185 then try to build the muscle back up to 200. Is that a reasonable plan? Is there a better way to to this?

The only way to get rid of fat is a calorie deficit.

I would encourage you to start a beginner weight lifting routine. Just 3 days a week. Why?

Lifting weights is KEY. I recently had my DXA scan done and at 51.5 years of age I have the bone density of a super athletic 30 year old. That is a direct result of lifting for over 30 years. Now if that is not scientific proof that lifting weights keeps you younger I don't know what is! Also I believe it is why most people think I look much younger than I really am.

Girls, start lifting now. lift heavy and change it up often, find a lot of weight routines with free weights, make it fun, embrace it, make it part of your life. Only 3 days a week is all it would take. Crank up your tunes and learn to love it, because your body will love it and it will make your quality of life better in many ways, especially when you get older like me.

Because of this I don't have to worry about osteoporosis. If you wait until you are older and your bones start to deteriorate it's a bit too late, you can't get back what you lost, you can only start a resistance routine that will prevent further damage.

f you are a girl you don't have the hormones to get big naturally. I lift heavy and I'm still really tiny. My lean body mass is only 104 lbs and that is fairly heavy for a 5'1" female, and quite a bit of this is due to my having very dense bones from 30 years of lifting, not all muscle, and I'm still quite tiny.

My muscles really are not that big, but they show a lot of definition because I'm quite lean. If I gained some fat then I would have a softer more toned look (which is OKAY too!). Then if I gained more fat I would look bulking and hefty like I did most of my life until last year. YOU CAN HAVE WHATEVER YOU WANT. Lean and ripped, soft and toned, or hefty, it all depends on how much fat you leave on your body. Calories are the only thing that changes fat. Exercise is for changing or maintaining your lean body mass only. Lifting weights will give you the best bang for your buck for shaping your body. I finally changed my shape by putting lifting first and cardio 2nd. You cannot out exercise too many calories. I learned this the hard way ---> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

Great advice. We women tend to put off weight training, particularly our upper bodies until osteoporosis has already set in. Just look at women over 50, they are beginning to to have hunched shoulders. Weight training is good for your bones, your posture, body fat content, metabolism, etc. Many advantages. Don't forget the flexibility. Yoga is great for this. If we're going to live longer than our parents, we should at least feel good doing it.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I can't find the quote from Steve Troutman but it went something like this. Weight is the last thing to worry about. If you optimize health, performance and physique, weight will take care of itself. Food for thought.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    My original goal when I started cutting was 170. Once I was close to that I realized I would not be as lean as I thought I would be by then and changed my goal to 160. Now that I have reached 160 I am trying to build muscle back up to 180 (lean). I calculate this should take me about 1.5-2 years.

My situation is similar except I'm a lot older so my upside potential is probably different. ;-) My initial goal, pulled from thin air, was 175. When I got to within 5 pounds, I decided 175 wouldn't pass the mirror test. I just kept going all the way to 160. I upped my calories and started working out and I'm up a few pounds. I'm just keeping an eye on the body fat using calipers.
  • psmith_five
    psmith_five Posts: 55 Member
    Options

I can't find the quote from Steve Troutman but it went something like this. Weight is the last thing to worry about. If you optimize health, performance and physique, weight will take care of itself. Food for thought.

I like that.
  • smhammons
    smhammons Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am bumping this your goals are a mirror image of mine thanks for the post and all the advice that was given.