Ladies with PCOS???

Options
Any ladies out there with PCOS? I was recently diagnosed and I'm wondering how many grams of carbs you are eating a day and how you distribute them. I read an awesome book that was really helpful but I think the target of 45-60 per meal and 15 per snack is a little too high for me to lose. I'm relieved to know that there is a medical reason that I have not been losing despite all my hard work, but know that I know I'm ready to make something happen! Thanks for any input!

Replies

• Danied13
    Danied13 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I know what you're going through :-( I think the standard american diet has contributed to so many women having PCOS...and it often goes undiagnosed. I keep my daily carbs <100g....around 20ish/meal. Carbs are not friends for those of us with PCOS. I'm TERRIFIED of becoming insulin resistant, so I gave up grains. It's the only thing that has made me lose inches off my stomach. Since I don't eat grains (maybe a little rice or some type of corn occasionally), staying under 100g of carbs isn't very hard. The only reason I would ever eat more than 100g of carbs while trying to lose weight is if I were doing very strenuous exercise. It's very important to increase fat intake if you're eating low carb..otherwise you'll feel weak. I hope you find the perfect balance for your body :-)
  • magz7795
    magz7795 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! I went grain free in January (with a few blips) and have lost about 50 pounds. (This is about 80 overall from my highest.) Going grain free and keeping my blood sugar under control has greatly diminished my symptoms. I shoot for under 50 a day, but 20 is typical. It isn't hard when you're not eating grains. I also try to stay away from artificial crap. Good luck!
  • sarahbrown1015
    sarahbrown1015 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm shooting for around 100 a day but I am still eating some grains. I guess if I don't see results I'll give that a try.
  • SirKelsalot
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS in April this year, and ever since I was diagnosed and did my research, the weight has started to melt away. I was surprised at my rapid weight loss actually, as it's typically hard for PCOS sufferers to lose the pounds.

I've basically cut down on carbs - I go for about 100g - I'm trying to get a bit more protein in as it's supposed to be beneficial, cutting down on sugar and saturated fats to avoid PCOS side-effects like diabetes and heart disease, and then I'm trying to be as active as I can.

A lot of my symptoms are better for it; I'm losing weight, feeling better about myself, less pain... I just wish my cycle was more regular but I'm taking BC for that now.
  • jensfitpal2012
    jensfitpal2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I sympathize with your journey,glad to hear you have managed to lose alot. I have tried so many diets and exercises over the years,but give up because I am working harder than most,only to see a small change. I am inspired by your story,would like to be friends to support one another.If you would,accept request.
  • SirKelsalot
    Options
    @Jen, sure thing :)
  • sarahbrown1015
    sarahbrown1015 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    yesterday was my first grain free day. why did i think i was going too wake up and see the scale move????
  • magz7795
    magz7795 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Please measure! My scale isn't moving but my measurements are.

Good luck!