why do young women overlook nice guys

Options
i started taking care of myself and was getting a compliment from a friend when we got on the subject of our kids and i was asking her how come my son has had a hard time finding a young woman he is very shy and sometimes he doesnt always know how to start up a conversation when i told her i joined myfitness she said i should put the question up to get a female answer for him he meets women but because he too shy to really talk to them they dismiss him and i dont know how to get him out of that since im doing my own improvements i started wandering what i can do to help him any advice would be helpfull

Replies

• chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    How old is your kid?
  • Aviflora
    Aviflora Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I only date nice guys. Why would I want to date a jerk?

c: I also only date guys who are wonderful to their moms. It says a lot about their character.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to make this recipe. :wink:
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options

lmao
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options

XD
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    as a 20 year old girl, I hope I'm qualified to answer XD

personally, I like a guy who isn't afraid to make an idiot out of himself to get someone to laugh (situation appropriate!!!) I like a guy who is more assertive, not "I don't know, what do you want to do?" or "Whatever you want to do is okay with me" every time I ask for his opinion. Other than that (and not looking like a caveman honestly....) I don't have any other criteria =3
  • oliv2065
    oliv2065 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Well one of the things I have noticed about nice, shy guys is they don't know how to respond to flirting. I work with a wonderfully nice guy and it took a long time to get him to realize that I was genuinely flirting with him. I would gladly date him, but as he has told others he doesn't think I am serious about it. I am a bubbly fun people person, and he doesn't see why I would be attracted to him. So maybe something like that is part of the problem. One day he is going to find a girl who wont give up because he is shy.
  • Hichiko
    Hichiko Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    i started taking care of myself and was getting a compliment from a friend when we got on the subject of our kids and i was asking her how come my son has had a hard time finding a young woman he is very shy and sometimes he doesnt always know how to start up a conversation when i told her i joined myfitness she said i should put the question up to get a female answer for him he meets women but because he too shy to really talk to them they dismiss him and i dont know how to get him out of that since im doing my own improvements i started wandering what i can do to help him any advice would be helpfull

Thing is, women don't overlook men because they're "nice." We overlook the ones that don't make their intentions known to us in the first place.
    Confidence is a -very- important trait. It doesn't take much effort to tell someone, "Hey. I like you. Let's go out sometime," or "You're really cute. Can I ask you out on a date?"

But if he's too timid to ask, you can't really blame the girls he's interested in when they "overlook" him.
  • drkuhl2017
    drkuhl2017 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Not all young women overlook nice guys. I'm 22 and engaged to the nicest man that you'll ever meet. And honestly, some girls don't know what they want as this age.
    Like it was said before, confidence is everything. Don't be shy, we can't always read your mind.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I'm 23 and I'm dating a nice guy. Granted he has more interesting descriptors than just "nice." :wink:
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    im not sure they do... i think its much more likely that neither party wants to make the first move...

there is nothing worse than seeing a nice guy getting used though :( some girls are horrible :(
    x
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I'm not on the market, but when I was confidence was my #1 thing. Shy is just not attractive to me. In a friend, fine. In a mate, no way. I'd destroy such a person.

One of my husband's close friends is 34 and a virgin. Has never had a girlfriend. I know him and he's a GREAT guy. He's attractive. He is INCREDIBLY shy though. My husband and I have talked about it...shy isn't that sexy. I want to feel like a man will stomp the **** out of somebody for disrespecting me.

Just my 2 cents...
  • deadliftfan
    Options
    I'm sure there's a whole host of evolutionary/biological reasoning for this.

Nice=beta
  • LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I think, if he doesn't make an impression, she doesn't think about him. Make her laugh, be a little crazy (but not a jerk). And, yes, make his intentions known but not in a creepy way.
  • VCI1985
    VCI1985 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Thing is, women don't overlook men because they're "nice." We overlook the ones that don't make their intentions known to us in the first place.
    Confidence is a -very- important trait. It doesn't take much effort to tell someone, "Hey. I like you. Let's go out sometime," or "You're really cute. Can I ask you out on a date?"

But if he's too timid to ask, you can't really blame the girls he's interested in when they "overlook" him.

THIS!!!

Nice guy do tend to be shy, not all the time of course, but you said so yourself your kid is shy. even in our modern times, we are taught if a guy is into you, he'll make the first move. So tell your son to step up the confidence.

p.s. not to be shallow, but sometimes no matter how nice a guy is if a girl is not attracted to him, the answer will always be no. But that's why beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    MOM get off my site!!
  • savannahgro
    savannahgro Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is pretty shy and I used to be very shy. I think because I once was (still am, but not as bad) it's easier for me to understand it. We met randomly at a concert and I think if we weren't so nerdishly into the band, we probably would have been very quiet and never saw each other again. Maybe if he has a passion/hobby he should join some sort of community to meet like-minded people?

As for confidence, I think we back each other up when needed. I'm a pretty independent person and don't need someone to fight my fights for me. I will speak up for him if someone is being a ****head to either of us, though. He hates it but I think that's the shy talking =/
    1258936 Posts: 115 Member
    Options

lmao

me neither
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Women have lots of responsibilities nowadays. I find when a person asks a question like this about how "nice " guys finish last or similar warmed over bs excuse like that, "nice" really means "uncertain incapable of making a decision doesn't know who he is much less who he is in relation to others passive aggressive manipulator looking for someone else to be responsible for his own basic needs/responsibilities sad sack that will guilt you into going out with him (or her in some versions) because they're so NICE you're just an *kitten* if you do anything that might hurted their feelings even if that's as simple as having a legitimate desire that might be at odds with the unexpressed desire of the manipulative "nice " person" but maybe that's just me. Or maybe women have enough on their plate to deal with THAT too.

As far as having lived life expecting others to be responsible for ones own basic needs, might that be evident if his mom or dad asks strangers on the Internet what he needs to do diifferently to get a girl?

And sometimes guys who disappoint their mothers so are gay or asexual or dated someone mom wouldn't approve of and are practically emasculated under the crushing weight that is the unending expectation and demand their parent has for how they live their life regardless of their own desires.

Or maybe the answer is that a whole demographic group is just mean and superficial. That does seem like the easier answer.
  • slenderizeme
    slenderizeme Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Let's not make generalizations. Everyone has different dating preferences. It sounds like it doesn't have anything to do with being nice or not. It probably has to do with his difficulty in having a conversation with a woman as you said.